cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

HPee
Adept I

Feature request: Per game FRTC

I am really happy FRTC and the ability to cap framerate can be found in the drivers again. However, it would be ideal to allow users to set this per game basis, when needed, since this introduces some input lag. Using the ingame frame limiter seems to be working the best, and I would like to disable the driver level FRTC on situations where IGFL is available, or FRTC is otherwise not needed. Please add the possibility to set FRTC per game.

Also, some are hinting RTSS frame limiter is doing a better job than Amd driver FRTC, in terms of latency/frame time stability. If there is anything that RTSS frame limiter is doing more efficiently, use the finding to develop FRTC even further? Thanks.

1 Solution

You can turn on Chill and set the min and max fps to the same value to "enable" FRTC on a single game. If im remembering it right, the Radeon UI even recognizes this method as FRTC (I've had the little dialogue pop up in the top-right(?) of my screen saying FRTC enabled). Haven't actually done this in forever though. I use Rivatuner to cap FPS because it has better input latency.

Of course, games with fps caps built in have the best latency regardless.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
HPee
Adept I

Any additional opinions about this, do others agree?

Does anybody know if this is possible already through some means? For example nvidia per game drivers can be adjusted in more detail using nvidia inspector.

This the single biggest problem with the current drivers for me atleast. FRTC is good, but not the most optimal in all games. Being able to choose where to use it would be great.

You can turn on Chill and set the min and max fps to the same value to "enable" FRTC on a single game. If im remembering it right, the Radeon UI even recognizes this method as FRTC (I've had the little dialogue pop up in the top-right(?) of my screen saying FRTC enabled). Haven't actually done this in forever though. I use Rivatuner to cap FPS because it has better input latency.

Of course, games with fps caps built in have the best latency regardless.

Yeah, I suppose Chill is the only work around in driver level for now. I think it is silly, that we are forced to use 3rd party solution (RTSS / Rivatuner) just to cap the frames, and that the 3rd party solution seems to perform better than Amd driver level solution. I always would like to keep the amount of open applications as low as possible.

Again, the best possible solution would be to get a driver level frame capping, that performs as good as RTSS (using technically the same method maybe?), and can be set or disabled per game.

0 Likes

In my tests I have noticed very little difference between RTSS and using Chill as a frame limiter. FRTC has always been not the recommended path due to the input latency increases which Chill does not have.

0 Likes

FRTC has more stable frametimes and works in basically any fullscreen game. I have understood, like others here say that Radeon Chill has less latency, I imagine it uses similar CPU based method similar to Rivatuner. I feel like Radeon chill is better most of the time because of less latency, but one thing I noticed just today that there are some games where Radeon Chill does not work at all but FRTC works. Either way it would be nice to have the per profile option for both.

As for RTSS or Rivatuner or whatever it is, I have tried only once like 5-4 years ago and my experience with was terrible. There was terrible stuttering when I enabled framerate cap in it... I don't know if some other setting was wrong or what but since then I have stuck to in-game limiters if available and driver limiters if not.

0 Likes