cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

0v3rkill
Adept III

Re: fan control doesnt really work on manual.

Jump to solution

yes I know what you mean. I hate using third party software. I rather wake up and apply my profile every morning manually so that it works. But yes after burner is an option.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

You all should report the issue and what is fixing it to AMD so they can incorporate a fix in upcoming drivers: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

Zero RPM should never be applied in a game profile. It negates your fan/temp settings.

Zero Rpm should be applied in Global settings. (default)

When you are playing a game/app with a manual fan/temp setting that is the profile that is used while playing and as soon as you quit the app/game..it reverts to Global settings.

This can be clearly seen by running hardware Monitor in the background while playing a game Open Hardware Monitor - Core temp, fan speed and voltages in a free software gadget , then check it when you quit. .

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-020 

Zero RPM

Zero RPM enables quiet operation whilst the GPU is under light load and is enabled by default. The GPU fans should spin up as the GPU is put under load and temperature increases. Zero RPM is automatically disabled if any changes are made in the Tuning menu.

To do this....reset (use the icon) the Global settings.

Reset the profile/Wattman settings to default (use the icon)

Reboot your computer

In Global settings, select the options for anti-alias, etc....but do not touch or open Global Wattman. Leave at default.

In your game profile, select the options you want for AA, Enhanced Sync, etc

In Wattman select manual for speed/fans. Disable Zero Rpm. Set the fans / temp as you wish. Increase the Power Limit. Click apply. Don't allow any over/under clocking/volting or any of that other _rap.

Click apply

I always reboot after all is finished.

0v3rkill
Adept III

Jump to solution

Just tried it right now and after doing a complete shutdown, waited a minute or two and then came back the rpm's were back at zero. You cant just restart and assume everything is ok. Restart doesnt turn off anything on your system so it remembers what you did. It is when you shutdown that some how the card forgets what ever you did. So you would have to apply your profile every single time and it's annoying as hell lol

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution
0v3rkill
Adept III

Jump to solution

No. I have everything on high performance and I manually make sure nothing goes to sleep or hibernates. I don't even let my hdd sleep. I don't like it. You get that option when you have hibernate. So I dont even get the option to turn fast restart or fast start on or off

wait I found where it is. It wasn't where the article you sent me said. I'll let you know if that works after I turn it off.

0 Likes
0v3rkill
Adept III

Jump to solution

yeah I think that did it. For me the disable fast startup was on the "choose what the power buttons do" So far I disabled that and it did remember everything after shutting down completely. So I think you might've found the solution. Thank you. Ill let you know if something goes bad again. Tho I highly doubt it. Thank you again.

kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

Glad you have it sorted out!

kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

How to Enable or Disable Fast Startup

Deciding whether to bother with Fast Startup actually takes longer than turning it on or off. First, open up your power options by hitting Windows+X or right-clicking your Start menu and selecting Power Options. In the Power Options window, click “Choose what the power buttons do.”

power options

If this is the first time you’ve messed with these settings, you’ll need click “Change settings that are currently unavailable” to make the Fast Startup option available for configuration.

available options

Scroll to the bottom of the window and you should see “Turn on fast startup (recommended),” along with other shutdown settings. Just use the check box to enable or disable Fast Startup. Save your changes and shut down your system to test it out.

fast startup

If you don’t see the option at all, it means hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case, the only shutdown options you’ll see are Sleep and Lock. The quickest way to enable hibernation is to close the power settings window and then hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin). At the Command Prompt, type the command:

powercfg /hibernate on

After turning hibernate on, run through the steps again and you should see both the Hibernate and Fast Startup options.

Uncheck and reboot.