cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

PolarBaer
Journeyman III

Failed chipset driver download, something malicious?

Hello!

On Monday I wanted to update the chipset driver (MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, Ryzen 5 3600, Win10 64bit).
I downloaded the driver with Firefox from the official site (https://www.amd.com/de/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450). The website says the size of the file would be 66MB but my download only was about 11MB. It was an exe-file and I double clicked it to start the update, but a pop-up appeared, saying the file wouldn't be executable on this computer. So I redownloaded it, but still getting the 11MB file and not possible to execute.
A few hours later I successfully downloaded the 66MB file and could update the driver. A thing I noticed, the 11MB file didn't have the AMD-icon, the 66MB file did.

I'm a bit worried, could the AMD download sites have been hacked or was it just some kind of Firefox download hiccup?
Has anyone else made same/similar experiences?

Kind regards and thank you in advance for your help.

PS: I uploaded both files to VirusTotal. Here are the links:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/4bd9580842b8beb17cea3fdafa87b047117447656bbbeeb9a31a3f090d43cbeb...
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/667e6c719b32a2829ffe93a3fc30b11cde3c086fbbdb5a8bb99b314a64e60dde...

0 Likes
3 Replies

For your peace of mind you can use malwarebytes and scan for something malicious left in the system

Cyber Security Software & Anti-Malware | Malwarebytes

I seriously doubt that you will download a official AMD driver package infected from the Official AMD Download page. I mean anything is possible but I find it extremely rare if it does occur since thousands of the files are downloaded daily from AMD Download page.

I have read in the past from other Users threads here at AMD Forum that also had a similar experience as you did. The file they downloaded was quite smaller then the original file to be downloaded from AMD download page.

Turned out to be either a Regional ISP issue, Wifi issue, or Regional AMD Server issue. But in the end they were finally able to download the correct size driver from AMD website. 

But it is always a good idea to run a couple of full system Anti-virus scans like Malwarebytes or Spybot and your own PC Anti-virus you have installed.

In my case if I feel that I may have infected my computer I run 5 different Anti-Virus Full System scans at the same time.  I use my own Anti-Virus McFee scan, Malwarebyte's scan, Spybot scan, Hitman Pro scan, and Sanity Check scan. All free versions except McFee.

If I get Zero viral detection then I am confident that my PC isn't infected. Of course one of the best ways is to run a Virus scan at boot up which catches viruses that are active at boot up and invisible in Windows.

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

There are different sections for .exe file format, and windows resource that would contain the icon is probably located at the end of the file. You only downloaded the first 11mb, so there is no icon to be found for .exe file. Without seeing the file, i cannot say 100% that this is the issue, but it's my guess.

You could always look for a tool to view the .exe file format and structure.

0 Likes