cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

leafeongold
Journeyman III

F.lux/ Windows Night Light Not Working After Driver Update 18.11.2

I noticed a problem about two weeks ago when I updated from 18.11.2 to 18.12.3, and it continues on 19.1.1. I work late at night, and F.lux is absolutely beneficial to avoiding eye strain and burning, however since I took the 18.12.3 update, F.lux now doesn't change the screen color, and Windows Night Light also does nothing (Though, I have been told that the issue with Windows Night Light is a Windows bug, and it already hasn't been working for a while (before F.lux also stopped working)). It was suggested that I report the bug here, since the problem started after an AMD driver update, and not a F.lux or a Windows update.

System Specs:
CPU: Intel I5-4690K 3.50GHz
GPU: XFX AMD Radeon R9 280X DD

1 Solution
leafeongold
Journeyman III

After using a program to simply stop and restart the graphics driver, F.lux works again. Weird.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
leafeongold
Journeyman III

After using a program to simply stop and restart the graphics driver, F.lux works again. Weird.

0 Likes
jeffroroboto
Journeyman III

after installing windows update 1903 f.lux and nightlight stopped working for me. But when i installed 17.7 installer it started working again, the 19.5 update isnt compatible anyone else have this issue/fix?

0 Likes
skst
Journeyman III

I'm using the 19.8.2 driver with an RX Vega 64 8G card. I have a Dell U3417W monitor with a DP cable on Windows 10 Pro 1903 (18362.356). F.lux and Windows Nightlight sometimes stop working after my monitor goes to sleep and then wakes up (because I have the Dell Monitor Manager set to power off the monitor if the screen saver kicks in). Usually it starts working again if I sleep the machine and resume it. (I haven't tried killing the gfx driver to force it to restart. It'd be nice if AMD's driver let you do that in the UI rather than manually terminating a process.)

BTW, I literally just found this by Binging "how to restart amd video driver." I tried it and it not only worked but F.lux is working again. It'd be great if AMD fixed the driver, but this is much easier than rebooting, killing the driver, or sleep/resume. :-)

The easiest way to try is to use this keyboard shortcut: Win + Ctrl + Shift + B. Once pressed, the screen goes black, followed by a quick beep, and then everything comes back to normal right after, maybe in one flicker or two. The process takes a few seconds to finish and from what I can tell, nothing else has changed. But be sure to save all your work before doing so just to be safe.

https://www.nextofwindows.com/windows-10-tip-how-to-restart-video-driver-without-rebooting-computer 

Sapphire AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 HBM2 8G

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU

0 Likes
neko2394
Journeyman III

I'm having the exact same issue since the adrenalin 2020 update. It's really annoying having the restart the graphic driver every time my monitor goes to sleep, just to get the night light working again :/
I'm using a Vega 64, Windows 10 1909 (fresh install), Adrenalin 20.4.1, and a samsung freesync monitor connected via displayport.

0 Likes

Try disabling fast start. You have to restart the computer after any change:

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode 

0 Likes

Fast startup is already disabled

0 Likes
neko2394
Journeyman III

20.7.1, the issue is still there :/

0 Likes