Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

apolyon6
Adept I

Every driver causes solid blue screen after login

Jump to solution

I recently tried to update my R9 280X driver to the latest version, and when I restarted the PC I got a solid blue screen with some faint vertical lines after login. I tried to roll back to the previous version but got the same issue. I've since tried every driver version I can find that's compatible, including the latest beta, with no luck. I have no idea what to do now, considering just buying a new card as at the moment I have a gaming pc I can't game on

Hope someone can help!

J.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
backFireX64
Forerunner

Re: Every driver causes solid blue screen after login

Jump to solution

I am just really glad when i am proven wrong in situations such as yours.

It is much easier and painless to realize that you are having a software/ OS issue.

When it comes to hardware though...

So, let me see...

windows 10: smoothing your experience and coming out of the blue (screen)

With your case in mind, is it a catchy enough pun for Microsoft to use on their "windows 10 client persuasion" campaign or what ?

LOL

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Please provide more information about your system and hardware configuration and operating system to that we may better understand your issue.

0 Kudos
apolyon6
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hi,

My system is as follows:

i5 4670k

Asus R9 280x DCUII

8 GB RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate.

Is there anything else you need? Trying a clean install tomorrow to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
backFireX64
Forerunner

Jump to solution

Can you post a screenshot with the faint vertical lines showing ?

Cause it "smells" like faulty gpu card, but i may be wrong.

What is your power supply unit (model, brand, wattage) ?

Can you disable the integrated intel HD graphics 4600 gpu from BIOS, just in case ?

0 Kudos
apolyon6
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hi.

I can't take a screenshot because i am unable to use the pc when the screen does it's thing. I'm currently trying a clean install of windows (also upgrading to 10) to see if theres some deep driver conflict or something. I'll report back once I try it.

I can't understand it being a faulty card as it's been sweet for 18 months and only produces the error when a driver is installed.

0 Kudos
apolyon6
Adept I

Jump to solution

Did a clean install of Windows 10 - problem resolved. Must've been a driver clash or something. Thanks for the help!

backFireX64
Forerunner

Jump to solution

I am just really glad when i am proven wrong in situations such as yours.

It is much easier and painless to realize that you are having a software/ OS issue.

When it comes to hardware though...

So, let me see...

windows 10: smoothing your experience and coming out of the blue (screen)

With your case in mind, is it a catchy enough pun for Microsoft to use on their "windows 10 client persuasion" campaign or what ?

LOL

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
apolyon6
Adept I

Jump to solution

Haha, I'm just glad that I now don't have to buy a new card. To be honest I think a clean install of W7 would have done it, but I figured I'd give W10 a go. I like the slogan though, might contact Microsoft...

Seriously though, this has been an issue for months and this was a last resort before trying a new card, after trying everything I could find on these forums and beyond. It was such a strange issue, nothing matched what I was experiencing. Not a BSOD - the screen just seemed to lose any idea of signal after a few seconds of getting beyond the desktop. I'd describe it as a blue/black screen with lighter vertical lines, maybe 20 or so across the screen (23" 1080p). If this helps anybody with a similar issue I'd be glad to suggest installing a clean version of Windows, as annoying as it can be.

Thanks for your support anyway folks. Glad I'm sticking with team red