cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jayseearr
Journeyman III

Error 173 please help!

Ok so 2 days ago i started troubleshooting GPU issues i was having which seemed to be software and/or driver related. These issues are nothing new I've pretty much been experiencing them on and off since i got the card. However this time I kinda went overboard and fell down the rabbit hole. In an effort to completely eradicate my system of any traces of AMD files I must have went wrong somewhere and somehow interfered with the systems ability to detect my GPU so basically things went from bad to much worse. For a little more context the most recent issue i had was the software kept resetting and putting my GPU on zeroRPM mode and the GPU would crash as soon as it encountered any 3d renders or things that would stress the GPU. I ended up removing all drivers and reinstalling the software/drivers and that didn't work so then i proceeded to do a complete clean system restore. At some point before i did the restore i also ended up disabling and uninstalling all display adapters tied to AMD as well as any AMD options i could find(media,audio,display,etc)and tampering with some pci options and stuff that i really don't know much of anything about but i figured a fresh windows install would fix any issues that could have potentially created. Anyhow, like i said. since i did the system restore things got worse because now windows is not detecting any AMD drivers or display adapters or anything and i can't download the drivers because AMD software says no hardware detected in my system config. I'm kinda stuck now i don't know what to do, I think i clearly tampered with something that runs deeper than a fresh windows install will fix? 

Specs-

inteli7 4790k-cpu stock 4ghz/noctua cooler

asrock z97e-itx/ac- motherboard (UEFI is up to date 2.20) drivers up to date as well

8gb DDR3 patriot 1600 (working and detected in UEFI)

Powercolor Red Dragon vega 56 8gb GPU 

Corsair SF600 PSU

I have already tried switching to onboard graphics and back to pcie in the bios and unfortunately the fix is not that simple. I hope i provided enough context but if any more information is needed i will gladly do my best to provide it! I hope someone here can help me or point me in the right direction because this is a new issue for me and i've been trouble shooting for the better part of 2 days now with zero results.

0 Likes
8 Replies
jayseearr
Journeyman III

Also, I'm running Windows 10 64 bit home edition and it is up to date. build 18363.900

0 Likes

First thing you need to do is make your Motherboard recognizes your Vega56 GPU card in Device Manager. If not make sure your Motherboard has the latest CHIPSET Drivers installed.

Also run SFC /scannow in a Elevated Command Prompt to make sure your Windows is not corrupted or missing any Core files.

Make sure all the Vega56 PSU PCIe Power cables are connected to the GPU card and the card is anchored inside the PCIe slot and making good contact.

AMD Driver error 173 is indicating that you have no AMD GPU card installed.

Do you have all the Vega56 PCIe Power cables connected to the GPU card?

What does Device Manager show under "Display"?  Any Yellow Exclamation marks or errors showing?

Your 600 Watt PSU is the minimum amount of PSU Wattage you need to have to be able to run the Vega56 on your computer.

As a last resort you can install your Vega56 on another computer to make sure it is recognized and working.

thank you for your response and time elstaci. Under my display settings the only option i have is the intel graphics. No trace of any amd adapters anymore and no yellow exclamations. I know I'm kinda towing the line in terms of power. If i built the system myself i certainly would have put at least a 750watt in there. I will try to optimize power settings if i can get the card recognized again and potentially even get a new psu. The card is in the pcie slot securely and it is powered on. the red dragon logo is illuminated indicating that it currently has power. I've tried sfc/ scannow already as well as run restoro software which is recommended by microsoft. I have all the latest chipset drivers and my mobo bios is up to date. I am currently downloading windows 10 onto an external flash drive where i will boot from USB in UEFI to reinstall windows yet again as i feel it's generally a better way than doing it through recovery like i did last time. I agree the first thing i need to do is get the mobo to recognize the GPU i'm just not sure how to go about doing that

0 Likes

Best way to find out if your Motherboard or GPU is defective is by installing another GPU on the motherboard and see if it is recognized or install your GPU on another compatible motherboard and see if it is recognized.

Either way it should eliminate the motherboard or GPU card.

I suggest you open a Warranty Request for both your GPU and Motherboard and see what they recommend.

0 Likes
jayseearr
Journeyman III

I have ran this system with this exact hardware configuration many times. I have had minor driver and software issues in the past but I've never not been able to detect the GPU or display adapters until i did that last windows reinstall after deleting everything AMD that i could. I feel as though the display adapters are maybe like hidden or embedded somewhere on disable mode preventing the graphics card from working while also preventing me from installing any more drivers. I have zero evidence to back that up but it seems plausible to a noob like myself. The only other logical explanation in my mind would be that something did not work correctly with the windows update that is causing the issue or that i may have disabled or tampered with the pcie firmware functionality through the device manager? I'm really not sure if this is an issue with AMD, Windows ,AsRock, or Intel if I'm being quite honest so i posted a similar thread on microsoft forum as well as another tech support forum and so far that is the most helpful response that i have gotten staci. I'm really just hoping i can find a professional ANYWHERE who can use the information i have to help me trouble shoot properly from the ground up.

0 Likes

With your GPU card installed run DXDIAG and see if it shows your GPU card as being installed.

How can I find out which graphics card I have in my PC?
  1. Click Start.
  2. On the Start menu, click Run.
  3. In the Open box, type "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.
  4. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens. Click the Display tab.
  5. On the Display tab, information about your graphics card is shown in the Device section.

Does your GPU card show up in BIOS as being installed on the PCIe slot of your motherboard?

How do I enable GPU in BIOS?
  1. Open the BIOS menu. ...
  2. Select the “Advanced” tab using the left/right arrow keys.
  3. Select the “Video Configuration” option using the "Up/Down" arrow keys. ...
  4. Select the “PCI-Express Graphics" option and press “Enter.”
  5. Press "F10" to save the new settings.

Why is my GPU not detected?
Graphics card not detected in Device Manager, BIOS – Many users reported that their graphics card isn't detected in Device Manager. This is usually caused by incompatible drivers so be sure to update them. If your graphics card isn't detected in BIOS, it's possible that your graphics card isn't properly connected.Sep 24, 2019

With no AMD drivers installed, your GPU card should still boot up into Windows and be recognized.

jayseearr
Journeyman III

Under device manager the only thing showing up is intel graphics. My AMD display adapters have vanished. If I gently pull the gpu out of the pcie and push it back in I can hear the noise windows makes when you plug in a new device such as a flash drive or something. This tells me the mobo is detecting the gpu on a physical level but not a firmware software level. I think these drivers and adapters got buried after I disabled them and re-installed windows. Perhaps it was a bad windows install that caused this issue? the re-install in question(thru system recovery) certainly took much longer than it should have. I have since tried wiping windows again and re-installing with a new method from a usb drive and unfortunately I got the same results. Perhaps the most valuable lesson I learned throughout this ordeal would be to make sure I have restore points saved in the future. I have tried the rollback option in windows and it is not available ( if I could just restore to 4 days ago I'm pretty sure it would solve this) I believe my AMD display adapters are buried deep somewhere which has system trapped in a weird state where I can't use the card (because the adapters are disabled) and I can't download new drivers (because the adapters are missing and there is potentially a driver somewhere that I cannot recover. I have tried downloading using both auto detect and manual search neither one works I get the same error 173 hardware not detected. There has to be SOME kind of solution this! Any more ideas people? please? My eyeballs hurt from trouble shooting and my pea brain is going to explode!

0 Likes

Is your GPU Card recognized in BIOS as being installed?

If it isn't then no matter what you do in Windows it wouldn't make a difference since in BIOS your GPU card is not recognized as being installed.

What does DXDIAG.exe show as your Graphics being used or installed?

Which Version of Windows did you do a "Clean" install of?

With a Clean installation of Windows your GPU card should have been recognized and it native Windows AMD Driver should have been installed during installation. If it wasn't then that indicates your GPU card is not being recognized in BIOS.