cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

fatsquatch
Journeyman III

Error 1603. Please help.

I recently built a pc with an rx 5700 xt video card. When installing Radeon Software (Adrenaline 2020 20.2.2) I got Error 1603. Despite the error, the software installed and I can use it, but games often run poorly (sometimes they run fine) and the mouse curser often stutters when moving it across the screen. Tried updating to 20.4.2 same error.

Another (related?) problem: when restarting the pc through start > power > restart, or when an installer needs to restart the pc, it loads for a long time then I get a blue screen with error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Then it restarts normally. No blue screen when turning the pc off and on again just when pressing restart.

I have tried:

updating windows

disabling antivirus

re-installing c++

factory reset install

AMD cleanup tool

DISM and SFC tools

deleting AMD folders

setting default location for default folders

re-installing windows

Is there anything else I should try?

the PC = xfx thicc 3 rx 5700 xt video card, r5 3600x cpu, 16gb ram, x570-plus motherboard, corsair rm 750 psu

Thanks I appreciate any help.

3 Replies
luna16
Journeyman III

I'm in the same boat, I just wanted to update my driver and got the 1603 error and now I'm stuck without a driver because the first suggestion to resolve the 1603 error was the AMD cleanup tool, I've tried every single type of supposed solution and still nothing If I get to resolve this mess ill be sure to let you know and if you resolve this please let me know how you managed to do it

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

Change your PSU maybe.

0 Likes

This is AMD Support concerning Error 1603: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb1603 

Try using this basic method to remove and install the latest AMD Driver version:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

RX5700 latest AMD Driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-... 

0 Likes