cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

EFermi
Miniboss

Error 1603 installing HDMI Audio Driver (Radeon 6900XT, Windows 10 x64)

So, my issue: when trying to install video driver package (adrenalin software) I get an "Error 1603 - A general error has occured..." specifically at the stage of installing HDMI Audio Driver, usually around 92% (21.1.1) or 95% (21.2.1). I tried EVERYTHING (except re-isntalling Windows itself, obviously), but it still does that. The video driver itself installs just fine - I can configure it, play games, work, watch videos etc. 

I tried ALL things listed in the help section it redirects to, and most advice from the internet I found on my own - didn't work. I even updated the BIOS to the latest version and uninstalled my audio drivers completely in safe mode thru DDU, as well as previous video driver before attempting 21.2.1, but it still failed. 

I hereby request that AMD driver development team make it possible to choose what elements of driver package to install under advanced installation options so that it would be possible to thoroughly skip HDMI Audio installation instead of waiting for 3-5 minutes for it to process whatever it does and then spew a 1603.

My system configuration is: ASUS Radeon RX 6900XT (reference model), Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi. I don't think other components may influence the process. My monitor is plugged thru a DisplayPort connection, and it does have build-in speakers for some godforsaken reason, which I disabled. Can it be that the driver code is so F'd up it kicks the bucket because of that? No way man! I refuse to believe until proven otherwise.

0 Likes
2 Replies
CozaMcCoza
Adept I

If you extract the drivers and then cancel out once installation begins, you can then install the drivers through device manager and manually updating the driver for the specific component you want.

You won't get the Adrenaline software interface but you can install the latest drivers for the display.

Seems like extra steps for nothing. Might as well just wait for 3 minutes to get Error 1603 and close the installer. The video driver will get installed fine anyways, and rummaging through stuff will probably take only a minute or two less than using installer. Nevertheless, thanks for the info.