Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

elstaci
MVP

Re: error 1603

Jump to solution

Install both Intel management driver, which is the important one, and the Intel utility. Also do you have the latest BIOS installed? I would update all the latest Windows 10 drivers for your laptop from HP Support.

pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

They don't have any Windows 10 drivers we already did that. They only have the Windows 8 drivers. Good advice though. Hopefully the Intel auto detect utility will get him the latest drivers, and hope they work.  Those links you gave to the the intel drivers from HP, did not show for my under the Windows 10 os option on his laptops product page. Did you get those there or someplace else on the HP site? Hopefully those help him. Either way good find. Thanks!

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

Did the laptop originally have Windows 8? Why would a manufacturer of a new laptop sell it with a 32bit OS? If the manufacturer does not have any drivers for that laptop for Win10...it may not be supported.

List the laptop model number.

Recommendation:

AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer as the manufacturer may customize the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from most notebook manufacturer's web site.

If the current operating system is not the version originally installed on the notebook it may not meet all requirements and compatible graphics drivers may not be available. Please refer to the notebook manufacturer for supported operating systems and drivers.

AMD Mobility Radeon™ Graphics Driver:

AMD provides a reference for AMD Mobility Radeon graphics drivers with limited support for notebook specific features and functions. This is not intended to be used as a replacement for the notebook manufacturer's driver.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

It's new to him, it is an older model, don't know how he got it with 32 bit os, but the specs for the laptop did mention regression rights to the the older other OS 32 and 64 bit, being a pro version. He did give his model and other information. It is in his attachments. You are exactly right that the laptop may have a compatibility issue. If the maker did something custom? They don't have newer drivers listed, so all you can do is try the vanilla drivers and hope for the best. Ultimately it may or may not work.

0 Likes
killerbrambo88
Adept I

Jump to solution

i installed the bios update + intel driver update, rebooted, tried again, still the same error. Funny bc yesterday i could install the drivers without problems.

I did everything you guys suggested but i still have the error 1603...

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

Take a look at this:

You receive an "error 1603: A fatal error occurred during installation" error message when you try to install a Windows Installer package

Symptoms

When you try to install a Microsoft Windows Installer package, you may receive the following error message:
Error 1603: A fatal error occurred during installation.

If you click OK in the message box, the installation rolls back.

Cause

You may receive this error message if any one of the following conditions is true:
  • Windows Installer is attempting to install an app that is already installed on your PC.
  • The folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is encrypted.
  • The drive that contains the folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is accessed as a substitute drive.
  • The SYSTEM account does not have Full Control permissions on the folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to. You notice the error message because the Windows Installer service uses the SYSTEM account to install software.

Resolution

To resolve this problem, do any one of the following, depending on the cause of the problem:

• Check if the app is already installed on the PC. If so, uninstall and reinstall the app.
    If you previously had a desktop shortcut for an app, the shortcut may have been lost during the upgrade to Windows 10. In such cases, the app is likely still installed on the PC, resulting in this error when you attempt to reinstall the app. You can restore the shortcut by searching for the app, and if it's found, press and hold (or right-click) the app and select Pin to Start. Or you can resolve the issue by uninstalling and then reinstalling the app. To search for and uninstall apps in Windows 10:
    1. On the Start menu, select Settings.
    2. In Settings, select System > Apps & features.
    3. If the app is listed then this is, select it and then select Uninstall.
    4. Follow the directions on the screen.
  • Install the package to a folder that is not encrypted.
    Use this method if you receive the error message because you try to install the Windows Installer package to a folder that is encrypted.
  • Install the package to a drive that is not accessed as a substitute drive.
    Use this method if you receive the error message because the drive that contains the folder that you try to install the Windows Installer package to is accessed as a substitute drive.
  • Grant Full Control permissions to the SYSTEM account.
    Use this method if you receive the error message because the SYSTEM account does not have Full Control permissions on the folder you are installing the Windows Installer package to.

To grant Full Control permissions to the SYSTEM account, follow these steps:
    1. Open File Explorer (or Windows Explorer), right-click the drive that you want to install the Windows Installer package to, and then click  Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab. Verify that the Group or user names box contains the SYSTEM user account. If the SYSTEM user account doesn't appear in the box, follow these steps to add the SYSTEM account:
      1. Click Edit. If prompted, approve the User Account Control.
      2. Click Add. The Select Users or Groups dialog box appears.
      3. In the Enter the object names to select field, type SYSTEM, and then click Check names.
      4. Click OK.
    3. To change permissions, click Edit. If prompted, approve the User Account Control.
    4. Select the SYSTEM user account, and verify in the Permissions section that Full Control is set to Allow. If not, select the Allow check box.
    5. Close the Permissions dialog and return to the Properties dialog. Click Advanced.
    6. Select Change permissions. If prompted, approve the User Account Control.
    7. In the Permissions tab, select the SYSTEM entry and click Edit.
    8. Click the Applies to dropdown and select This folder, subfolder and files. Click OK.
    9. Wait for the operating system to apply the permissions that you have selected to all child folders.
    10. Run the Windows Installer package.
0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

Yes...HP offers Win10 drivers for the laptop.

The Intel drivers must be installed before the AMD drivers.

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Software and driver results for:

HP EliteBook 850 G1 Notebook PC

HP EliteBook 850 G1 Notebook PC

Choose a different product series

Available software for the following operating system:

Selected operating system:  Windows, Windows 10 (64-bit)   

Change    

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

That is so weird I go to that page and only when I chose Windows 8 64 bit does it show any drivers. Any other os I get a message saying it can't retrieve any drivers for that operating system. Must be an ad on messing with the site. Thanks for letting him know the there are at least drivers from HP for his OS!

0 Likes
killerbrambo88
Adept I

Jump to solution

i did the options you posted here, installed in a new, normal folder, still error 1603.... Why could i install them yesterday without problems, and can't install them anymore today? Are there any applications needed to install the drivers? I also deleted every folder containing  AMD files in program files, program files x86 and (C:)

I just don't know what to do anymore..

0 Likes