cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Error 1603 – A General Error Has Occurred After Driver Update For Radeon HD 8750M Windows 10

I have ran into alot of problems with my AMD drivers lately. Let me explain my situation: So i got this new laptop (windows 10) with a 32bit software version to play games like Overwatch and work on Solidworks, a program i need for college. But you can't download those applications on a x32bit version of windows. So I downloaded and installed the x64 version of windows myself (yes my processor is x64) and Overwatch runned fine for me at 40-50FPS on medium-high settings which was definitly good enough for me. But i couldn't open Solidworks and after some research they told me to delete my old drivers and install the newest ones. So said, so done, everything properly installed (from these links: AMD Clean Uninstall Utility and Download Drivers ) but Overwatch ran very bad afterwards. I got +-10FPS on low settings despite Overwatch was set to work on the AMD drivers and on high performance.

I contacted the Overwatch helpdesk and they said my drivers where outdated since 2015 but that was not possible. They told me i should remove them again and install them manually, because the driver installation app detected my drivers and installed them automatically. I did this again but now i couldn't open the Radeon settings application, whatever i tried. I deleted the software (again) and installed my drivers (again) but this time it gave me error code 1603. I did everything on the help page (Error 1603 – A General Error Has Occurred During the Installation of the AMD Software Package ) but without results.

-DxDiag, MSinfo and report error 1603 are attached.

I'm getting pretty annoyed right now, i hope there is a fix, i don't know what to do anymore.

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution

someone else had a similar problem and Pokester mentioned about using the latest DDU to uninstall the AMD drivers which fix the 1603 error. Sounds like the AMD driver set wasn't totally uninstalled.

Try this:

Make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update. Delete the C:\AMD folder. disconnect from the Internet (disable Wifi or remove ethernet cable). This will prevent Windows from installing a different driver before you install the new driver.

Uninstall all AMD drivers using Windows 10 Uninstall program. Then use DDU in safe mode to uninstall AMD driver plus Intel drivers. Reboot

Install First the Windows 10 Intel Drivers, Graphics and Chipset. Reboot and then try installing the HP latest Windows 10 AMD Drivers from HP Support. Reboot and see if the error goes away. See if  everything is back to normal again.

View solution in original post

42 Replies

While that laptop may be new in the sense that it hasn't been owned before you owned it, it is not a new or current model. It looks like they shipped originally Windows 8 64 bit. In fact those were the only driver I could find for it on the HP site.

It's good that you are now on Windows 10 64 bit. As AMD no longer supports Windows 8 anyway.

The laptops with discrete graphics can be tricky to get working. The fine folks at AMD put together this guide to help people like you.

go down to where it says

For laptops with Intel/AMD graphics:

For instructions on how to correctly install drivers on a laptop with AMD graphics, check out this helpful guide contributed by one of our forum members:  Laptop graphics update...How to

For help on other graphics related issues, please visit the Knowledge Base.

Hope it helps!

thank you for the response, i appreciate it a lot! But before i try this, is there a problem that i completely deleted any trace of my previous AMD drivers? And can i run the "auto detect my drivers tool" for the intel drivers?

0 Likes

I sure wouldn't think so, unless you took some unorthodox method like randomly deleting registry keys.  My advice comes with no warranties written or implied! :-)

0 Likes

okay i will keep you up to date!

0 Likes

I have the AMD Radeon HD 8750M graphics, which should i pick from the list? the 8800M or 8700M?

0 Likes

need more system information do you have  amd apu, amd apu with amd discrete, or intel/amd. I got all that information from him because it was in his attachments.

Once you know that you can just follow the appropriate advice on the link he was given.

Good luck!

0 Likes

you are talking to the same person

0 Likes

should i pick 8700M or 8800M? i have 8750M

0 Likes

8700m Series is how it is listed so that would include 8750m

0 Likes

should i download two of them? which first?

i'm sorry, i'm not that great with computers.support.PNG

0 Likes

the minimal is just a driver with no controls over options. no radeon settings to control things.

I'd install the top one with all features. You don't need both.

0 Likes

No worries! I'm not always the best either! That's why we all try to help each other! Makes me happy if I get someone going! Lots of good helpers around here.

0 Likes

i really appreciate your help, i was lost after trying so many things.... Drivers are downloading btw

0 Likes

same error 1603

0 Likes

i deleted every AMD map in program files, program files x86 and in C: yesterday, is that a problem?

0 Likes

When you updated your laptop to Windows 10, did you download the Intel Graphic drivers for Windows 10 and installed it? HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Driver-Chipset (2)

Intel Chipset Installation Utility

system software Manager Icon
10.1.1.40 Rev.A3.7 MBJul 3, 2017DownloadHP's Terms of Use
DetailsAssociated filesPrevious versions

Intel Management Engine Components Driver

11.6.0.1045 Rev.A100.6 MBMay 12, 2017DownloadHP's Terms of Use
DetailsAssociated files

Driver-Graphics (2)

AMD Video Drivers and Control Panel

17.10.2001 Rev.F508.6 MBJul 5, 2017DownloadHP's Terms of Use

Intel Video Driver and Control Panel

4531 Rev.F204.5 MBMar 29, 2017DownloadHP's Terms of Use

You also have a very new BIOS upgrade for your Laptop:

BIOS (1)

HP Notebook System BIOS Update

01.42 Rev.A12.7 MBJan 26, 2018DownloadHP's Terms of Use

Software and driver results for:

HP EliteBook 850 G1 Notebook PC

Make sure you have the latest BIOS if not upgrade with your Intel Graphics HD 4400 drivers and follow the link the Pokester gave on how to install Intel/AMD graphics on your Laptop.
An old BIOS could be causing the error 1603.

do i only need the Intel Chipset Installation Utility ?

0 Likes

Install both Intel management driver, which is the important one, and the Intel utility. Also do you have the latest BIOS installed? I would update all the latest Windows 10 drivers for your laptop from HP Support.

They don't have any Windows 10 drivers we already did that. They only have the Windows 8 drivers. Good advice though. Hopefully the Intel auto detect utility will get him the latest drivers, and hope they work.  Those links you gave to the the intel drivers from HP, did not show for my under the Windows 10 os option on his laptops product page. Did you get those there or someplace else on the HP site? Hopefully those help him. Either way good find. Thanks!

0 Likes

Yes...HP offers Win10 drivers for the laptop.

The Intel drivers must be installed before the AMD drivers.

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Software and driver results for:

Choose a different product series

Available software for the following operating system:

Selected operating system:  Windows, Windows 10 (64-bit)   

Change    

0 Likes

That is so weird I go to that page and only when I chose Windows 8 64 bit does it show any drivers. Any other os I get a message saying it can't retrieve any drivers for that operating system. Must be an ad on messing with the site. Thanks for letting him know the there are at least drivers from HP for his OS!

0 Likes

They were already posted by @elstaci ...see his post earlier.

0 Likes

I saw his post, I just figured he found them someplace else on the HP site not realizing that them not displaying under the page for this persons laptop was an issue on my end. Thanks!

0 Likes

0 Likes

Was there a problem with the same link I gave him in my very first response? Seems like the link worked?

0 Likes

Did the laptop originally have Windows 8? Why would a manufacturer of a new laptop sell it with a 32bit OS? If the manufacturer does not have any drivers for that laptop for Win10...it may not be supported.

List the laptop model number.

Recommendation:

AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer as the manufacturer may customize the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from most notebook manufacturer's web site.

If the current operating system is not the version originally installed on the notebook it may not meet all requirements and compatible graphics drivers may not be available. Please refer to the notebook manufacturer for supported operating systems and drivers.

AMD Mobility Radeon™ Graphics Driver:

AMD provides a reference for AMD Mobility Radeon graphics drivers with limited support for notebook specific features and functions. This is not intended to be used as a replacement for the notebook manufacturer's driver.

0 Likes

It's new to him, it is an older model, don't know how he got it with 32 bit os, but the specs for the laptop did mention regression rights to the the older other OS 32 and 64 bit, being a pro version. He did give his model and other information. It is in his attachments. You are exactly right that the laptop may have a compatibility issue. If the maker did something custom? They don't have newer drivers listed, so all you can do is try the vanilla drivers and hope for the best. Ultimately it may or may not work.

0 Likes

i installed the bios update + intel driver update, rebooted, tried again, still the same error. Funny bc yesterday i could install the drivers without problems.

I did everything you guys suggested but i still have the error 1603...

0 Likes

Take a look at this:

You receive an "error 1603: A fatal error occurred during installation" error message when you try to install a Windows Installer package

Symptoms

When you try to install a Microsoft Windows Installer package, you may receive the following error message:
Error 1603: A fatal error occurred during installation.

If you click OK in the message box, the installation rolls back.

Cause

You may receive this error message if any one of the following conditions is true:
  • Windows Installer is attempting to install an app that is already installed on your PC.
  • The folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is encrypted.
  • The drive that contains the folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to is accessed as a substitute drive.
  • The SYSTEM account does not have Full Control permissions on the folder that you are trying to install the Windows Installer package to. You notice the error message because the Windows Installer service uses the SYSTEM account to install software.

Resolution

To resolve this problem, do any one of the following, depending on the cause of the problem:

• Check if the app is already installed on the PC. If so, uninstall and reinstall the app.
    If you previously had a desktop shortcut for an app, the shortcut may have been lost during the upgrade to Windows 10. In such cases, the app is likely still installed on the PC, resulting in this error when you attempt to reinstall the app. You can restore the shortcut by searching for the app, and if it's found, press and hold (or right-click) the app and select Pin to Start. Or you can resolve the issue by uninstalling and then reinstalling the app. To search for and uninstall apps in Windows 10:
    1. On the Start menu, select Settings.
    2. In Settings, select System > Apps & features.
    3. If the app is listed then this is, select it and then select Uninstall.
    4. Follow the directions on the screen.
  • Install the package to a folder that is not encrypted.
    Use this method if you receive the error message because you try to install the Windows Installer package to a folder that is encrypted.
  • Install the package to a drive that is not accessed as a substitute drive.
    Use this method if you receive the error message because the drive that contains the folder that you try to install the Windows Installer package to is accessed as a substitute drive.
  • Grant Full Control permissions to the SYSTEM account.
    Use this method if you receive the error message because the SYSTEM account does not have Full Control permissions on the folder you are installing the Windows Installer package to.

To grant Full Control permissions to the SYSTEM account, follow these steps:
    1. Open File Explorer (or Windows Explorer), right-click the drive that you want to install the Windows Installer package to, and then click  Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab. Verify that the Group or user names box contains the SYSTEM user account. If the SYSTEM user account doesn't appear in the box, follow these steps to add the SYSTEM account:
      1. Click Edit. If prompted, approve the User Account Control.
      2. Click Add. The Select Users or Groups dialog box appears.
      3. In the Enter the object names to select field, type SYSTEM, and then click Check names.
      4. Click OK.
    3. To change permissions, click Edit. If prompted, approve the User Account Control.
    4. Select the SYSTEM user account, and verify in the Permissions section that Full Control is set to Allow. If not, select the Allow check box.
    5. Close the Permissions dialog and return to the Properties dialog. Click Advanced.
    6. Select Change permissions. If prompted, approve the User Account Control.
    7. In the Permissions tab, select the SYSTEM entry and click Edit.
    8. Click the Applies to dropdown and select This folder, subfolder and files. Click OK.
    9. Wait for the operating system to apply the permissions that you have selected to all child folders.
    10. Run the Windows Installer package.
0 Likes

i did the options you posted here, installed in a new, normal folder, still error 1603.... Why could i install them yesterday without problems, and can't install them anymore today? Are there any applications needed to install the drivers? I also deleted every folder containing  AMD files in program files, program files x86 and (C:)

I just don't know what to do anymore..

0 Likes

someone else had a similar problem and Pokester mentioned about using the latest DDU to uninstall the AMD drivers which fix the 1603 error. Sounds like the AMD driver set wasn't totally uninstalled.

Try this:

Make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update. Delete the C:\AMD folder. disconnect from the Internet (disable Wifi or remove ethernet cable). This will prevent Windows from installing a different driver before you install the new driver.

Uninstall all AMD drivers using Windows 10 Uninstall program. Then use DDU in safe mode to uninstall AMD driver plus Intel drivers. Reboot

Install First the Windows 10 Intel Drivers, Graphics and Chipset. Reboot and then try installing the HP latest Windows 10 AMD Drivers from HP Support. Reboot and see if the error goes away. See if  everything is back to normal again.

plumboby
Miniboss

download cc cleaner free version. Run the cleaner run the registry key cleaner as half the time its the registry that strikes that error. Go through open you c drive setting & clean any old windows installs & any other random crapware that's come when loading up 10 as the cretors update is a pig of an update to get running with AMD drivers atm. Boots to safe mode run DDU with cc cleaner behind it clearing any registry errors then boot to windows normally. Dont run the auto detect tool find your drivers manually you can get 8 drivers so look for the AMD drivers tho dont load up the latest the most stable are the early December so install manually. If it doesn't work open you device manager & manually check all drivers are upto date & manually update to suit. In device manager to in videocard properties if your videocard is listed look for drivers save to you system & try load them as 9 times out of 10 they are the drivers you need sometimes the drivers from the site & auto dectect dont work on integrated laptops. Worked on  a lot of laptops a few tricks to get them to switch over & load properly

0 Likes

I will try this tomorrow and i'll let you know. Thanks a lot for the help i get here from the AMD support. I really appreaciate it!

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

no problem have had simular issues, worked with alot of laptops in the past so a lot of tricks i know & have learnt

0 Likes

Update: I tried what elstaci​ said step by step and it worked! thank you very much!  I am amazed by the amazing support i got here thank you very much! I still have a quick question, how do i set certain applications to maximum performance in the radeon settings tab?

plumboby
Miniboss

awesome good news it worked. I recomend before cranking up any setting would advise just to run you games as is for the moment without pushing it pushing it till the drivers stabilise. Run it as is then if you feel the need to increase you graphics setting bump them up in small increasements. Laptops get tempermental in big bumps from experience of winding them up to fast on fresh installs. Usually i do a fresh install but leave the laptop does nessisary updates for 24hrs to make sure windows stablises & drivers for AMD run stable before i adjust as i go.

thank you guys again! i am now even able to run overwatch at 70FPS, didn't even knew this was possible on my laptop! thanks to all who helped me out