cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pwishie
Journeyman III

Error 126 after Windows reinstall

Windows was slow so I reinstalled it. Ever since then I've been getting an error shortly after booting called "126 Could not load the specified module". I tried various fixes like messing around with DLL files in system32 and reinstalling the driver. I've tried drivers 19.6.2, 19.5.2 and 19.1.1 and and I still get the error. I tried a few games like CSGO which runs at 50fps and Skyrim runs below 30. 

0 Likes
7 Replies

Need more information on your computer setup (Make & model of Mobo, GPU, CPU, PSU, Current Windows version and AMD Driver installed, Etc.) plus when does the Error 126 occur.

Does the error mention any particular driver at fault?

Run SFC /scannow in an elevated Command Prompt and report what it finds.

0 Likes

Sorry lol I wrote my post as fast as possible; my friends were waiting on me. I forgot to even mention that my graphics card is a vega 64 (MSI). My CPU is a Core i7 7700 (not k) and my Windows version is Windows 10 1903, build 18362.175. The error does not mention any specific DLL file, nor does there seem to be a consistent pattern as to when it happens (other than that is usually happens when I start a game). It usually happens after I boot, but sometimes it takes 5 minutes and sometimes it takes 30. I know this is not hardware issue because it worked fine before the Windows reinstall, and I dual boot with Linux and it works normally there. 

0 Likes
pwishie
Journeyman III

SFC output: Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations. 

0 Likes

You can try these methods to check if the issue gets resolved.

Method 1: Restart the Windows Modules Installer service.

a)Press "Windows key + R", type "services.msc" and press Enter.
b)Look for the "Windows Modules Installer" service and Stop it. Then Start the service.
c)Restart the computer and check if the issue get resolved.

Method 2:Run a system file checker scan and check if that helps. 
Refer to the following steps to run SFC scan.

a)Move the mouse pointer to bottom left of the screen where you see preview of start menu and Right-click to bring up a list of Windows settings.
b)Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt. Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for permission.
c)In the command prompt type in the following command: ‘sfc /scannow’.

0 Likes

Curiously, the Windows Modules Installer service wasn't running (as your post implies it should be). Regardless, starting it and rebooting does nothing, even after setting it to automatically turn on. 

I already did the SFC scan thing:  Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations. 

0 Likes

pwishie wrote:

Curiously, the Windows Modules Installer service wasn't running (as your post implies it should be). Regardless, starting it and rebooting does nothing, even after setting it to automatically turn on. 

I already did the SFC scan thing:  Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations. 

get into services and check to be sure its set to start at boot

0 Likes

It is possible that when you install Windows again, the installation had some corruption (missing or corrupted Windows files).

If you follow this websites steps on resolving error 126 (Error 126: The Specified Module Could Not Be Found ) and still doesn't fix the problem. I would suggest doing an Ingrade Upgrade of the same Windows version you have now, 1903 by running the Windows Installation program via your Desktop.

This will reinstall Windows 1903 again with all your 3rd party programs and configuration intact. It will create a Windows.old folder with your old Windows which you can delete using Windows Disk Clean under "Properties" when you right click on the Windows C: Drive in MyPC.

NOTE: IGNORE ALL RECOMMENDED SOFTWARE TO FIX THIS ERROR ON THE WEBSITE LINK ABOVE ESPECIALLY USING REIMAGE (SCAM) BUT THE TIPS ARE VALID.