Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ramchyld
Adept III

Enduro support in GTA V?

Jump to solution

I know this has been asked many times before, but I feel I need to bring it up again because I too am affected.

I have an Asus N551ZU laptop. It has a FX-7600P with R7 APU coupled with a R9 M280X dGPU that has 2GB of dedicated memory. The problem is, GTAV is only detecting the APU's R7. I have already set up switchable graphics to High Performance for the game, but it's still only using the R7 (notable because the game claims that the GPU only has 1GB of RAM, which is preallocated). If it's using the dGPU it should claim that I have 2GB of RAM.

Which brings me to the second topic- I thought the Kaveri-class APUs have HSA. I have 16GB of RAM on this laptop (2133MHz ones no less, to max out the potential of the APU). Why is the game only detecting the 1GB Windows preallocated for the GPU and ignoring the other 15GB of RAM? I thought the game should claim that it has as much RAM as that's free on the laptop. Idling, I have 11GB free. So the game should claim at least 6GB? I find it unlikely that the game fills up all my free RAM except those preallocated to the GPU?

The biggest issue of this is, well, the game wouldn't run unless I tell it to ignore the limits or knock things down to DX10 mode. Apparently 1 GB isn't enough for GTA V even at lowest settings in DX11 (everything at normal, all antialiasing disabled). Also, I get terrible draw distances, I get issues where the road suddenly disappears and my car is floating on air and I cannot see where I'm supposed to go. I have to stop the car for the buildings and textures to load. And as you know, in GTA, this is not acceptable- stopping for a second could be the death of you either at the hands of the cops or rival criminals. And I'm sure it's not a disk bottleneck, the laptop has a SSD as it's sole drive.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Enduro support in GTA V?

Jump to solution

I understand, but that would most likely be a game issue that you would need to contact Rockstar support for help with.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

GTA V uses a launcher, so you might want to try adding that and the game executable to High Performance mode.

Enable the Switchable Graphics Application Monitor once you have added both applications and set them to High Performance mode and play GTA V and post back with a screenshot of what the monitor shows.

0 Kudos
ramchyld
Adept III

Jump to solution

Yes, both the launcher and the main executable are set up as "High Performance".

global.jpg

However the game claims that the GPU in use only has 1GB of VRAM, which pretty much equates to the onboard R7

20160616093151_1.jpg

The monitor shows that the game is running in High Performance mode:

monitor.jpg

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Okay, that looks like a bug with the game then. The switchable graphics application monitors says that the High Performance GPU is being used.

Can you adjust the amount of video memory used in the bios?

Can you post a screenshot of the Radeon Settings > System tab?

0 Kudos
ramchyld
Adept III

Jump to solution

No, there's no option to adjust the video memory in the BIOS. I remember that it used to have the option, but then Asus put out a firmware update that removed the feature.

Below are the tabs in Radeon Settings -> System

overview.png

sw.png

r7.png

r9.png

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Seems to be a bug with the game as i see a user here with the same CPU+GPU combination playing GTA V using 1.8GB of video memory and running off the M280X but the game still shows he only has 1GB of video memory available to use.

Asus N551ZU R7 / R9 M280x GTA V AMD Apu Fix - YouTube

The switchable graphics application monitor does not provide the wrong information, but GPU-Z monitoring tab should also show you that the M280X is being used.

0 Kudos
ramchyld
Adept III

Jump to solution

I see, thanks. But then there's the problem of textures and models loading very slowly in high density areas (ie around the downtown Vinewood area)?

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I understand, but that would most likely be a game issue that you would need to contact Rockstar support for help with.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos