cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dazzlegamer
Adept I

Enabling Freesync causes screen tearing and motion judder when playing videos

• Enabling Freesync causes screen tearing and motion judder when playing videos ( ie: Pot player, KMP, WMP)
    this is really annoying the hell outta me since i watch anime and other tv shows a lot, turning the freesync from radeon settings solves the issue though..
    SPECS :
    RX 570,
    Windows 10 1809 x64
    LG 22MP68VQ  (HDMI)
46 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

You can also try setting FreeSync to disabled in the application profile. 

0 Likes

Another poster had mentioned that this used to work, but no longer does. Can confirm it makes no difference here.

0 Likes

I have to ask...is this going to be explored further? The last working driver is approaching 12 months old (18.12.1.1). I appreciate that you're probably already overextended, but that's an awfully long time for something so fundamental to be on the fritz.

0 Likes
markiemarcus
Adept III

Oh come on, this is a freaking joke. A new driver has been pushed through Windows 10 update that forcibly installs itself and guess what? It breaks video playback with the same Freesync tearing issue. There are two threads on this issue now, with MANY people experiencing the same issue and somehow this broken driver made it through QA.

This issue was reported nearly 11 months ago!

0 Likes

Hi,

Have you tried turning "GPU Scaling" ON under "Display"? I know it helped me with some jerkyness in MPC-HC with Freesync ON Globally. I don't have the same problem as you (tearing/judder) but something is wrong with Freesync ON when bringing the player control bar and hovering over the timeline. It jerks when Freesync is ON and GPU scaling is OFF.

GPU Scaling = ON minimize the problem (turning freesync off globally eliminates the problem completely)

Another fun fact: To REALLY use Freesync with MPC-HC, you must create a profile for it in Radeon Settings then choose ON for Radeon Freesyn in the profile (instead of AMD Optimized). Then it works in fullscreen on my monitor (as shown by the OSD of my monitor). It works with LFC of course because of the low 24 fps. It works pretty good on my display but I prefer to set screen at 120hz and let good old regular vsync do it's magic (for movies).

Hope it helps.

0 Likes

I suggest you report your issues to AMD. Having to not use features you paid for in both a GPU and Monitor because the drivers don't work right is a shame. 

Make sure AMD knows about the problem and what you are doing to work around the issue: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

coolslowbro
Journeyman III

I'm experiencing this as well. Just bought a 144hz monitor and I have to disable ___sync (adaptive sync in the monitor's settings, freesync in the drivers) to get smooth playback.

0 Likes