Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

markiemarcus
Adept III
Adept III

Enabling Freesync causes screen tearing and motion judder when playing videos

This is a recent problem in the last handful of driver versions. The problem goes away when you disable Freesync in Radeon Settings.

Driver version 19.1.1
RX 480
LG 29" Ultrawide 29UM67

Windows 10 1809 x64
Displayport

Players I have tested include MPC-HC, MPC-BE, WMP, Films & TV player in W10. The machine is dual booted with Windows 8.1 where the problem also occurs using the Windows 7 driver.

Tags (1)
118 Replies
markiemarcus
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Enabling Freesync causes screen tearing and motion judder when playing videos

Really? Nobody else?

Just as further update, the last driver that doesn't have this issue is 18.12.1.1. So this problem has been introduced with the 2019 Edition drivers, with the new Relive features.

dazzlegamer
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Enabling Freesync causes screen tearing and motion judder when playing videos

Yep i've just purchased a Freesync monitor last week and have been noticing this issue, tho it's not the case in games..tbh it's literally annoying the hell outta me because i watch anime a lot during free time ...

PLZ RADEON TEAM, HAVE THIS FIXED ASAP!

markiemarcus
Adept III
Adept III

It's so bizarre that it doesn't happen in games isn't it? It's a really obvious problem in video playback though; surprised that it hasn't been fixed yet.

dazzlegamer
Adept I
Adept I

Exactly, it's fine in games..also LFC doesn't seems to be working even though I've reduced the FreeSync Range from 40-75 to 30-75 using CRU!

0 Kudos
markiemarcus
Adept III
Adept III

Still broken as of 19.2.1

0 Kudos
klu
Adept I
Adept I

Yep, I have the same issue. Tearing on videos (I'm using AllPlayer), I didn't notice this in games, though.

Disabling FreeSync in Radeon Settings fixes this issue.

Current setup:

Driver: 19.2.2

GPU: RX 580 8GB

Monitor: iiyama XUB2792QSU\

Interface: DisplayPort

markiemarcus
Adept III
Adept III

Yes games seem fine. Can confirm the tearing also happens in Allplayer here too.

I've narrowed it down a little more: you can avoid the tearing if you switch to a D3D fullscreen mode in MPC-HC/MPC-BE. This isn't really a solution though; it isn't the default behaviour in any player I can think of.

0 Kudos
markiemarcus
Adept III
Adept III

Still broken as of 19.2.3

0 Kudos
markiemarcus
Adept III
Adept III

Still broken as of 19.4.3.