cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dtdman420
Adept II

Elite Dangerous VR planets become visually corrupted and you cannot land on planets

AMD why is this not fixed yet?

The graphics are all flickering, shadows lighting on station surfaces and other surfaces in Elite Dangerous on the 6900xt.

I always had a Nvidia card, I decided to go red this time and got the 6900xt about a year ago even though i read about the driver problems in the last generation. Boy, am i kicking my self.

If you don't want to lose a customer, please fix this game.  

I have very rarely  encountered a issue like this in any game. When it happens, Nvidia will fix the issue within a couple days. How long has the Elte Dangerous problem been happening? About a year now? This is unacceptable! I will never make this mistake again.

Sorry to be so loud about the issue but this is crazy

27 Replies
DimkaTsv_alt
Adept II

Hmm... hadn't met this issue myself, strange. 6750 XT
AMD fixed major bug with ED crashing on desktop recently. And there is another known issue with in-game shader, but it doesn't cause any flickering on surfaces, just blueish glow (and this one i am unable to verify as don't own Odyssey myself, just Horizons). So you are probably alone there with this one.

Anyways you can see this thread and maybe something will help you.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/amd-rx-6000-series-driver-issues-workarounds.607423/

P.S. Can we have more info? Where, what entities are flickering, on what condition, logs from... Ehm, where are you installed game from?
For me (and other steam users) it will be
~\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\FORC-FDEV-DO-38-IN-40\Logs  - for Horizons 4.0 or how it is named...
And ~\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Logs - for normal Horizons...Maybe netlogs will show something abnormal in rendering that will cause an error?

No, he isn't alone.  

He also should not have to jump hoops and manually fudge files to semi-fix an issue.  If, as the thread says, is a 5 minute fix then AMD and Frontier should 5min fix that.  Not the customer..

Oh... Well, then i guess good luck with getting them to fix this problem asap?
Every problem can potentially mean similar problem in different game.

But as i basically don't play ED  i won't be much of help for this one.

0 Likes

How many times have I searched the help forums since May. Now I see it as one of my biggest mistakes to buy a RX6900XT in February for a lot of money. Please tell me why I should buy an ATI model again? Or even recommend it to someone? 

You are now understanding why someone like myself has a aib 6900 xt sitting in its retail box collecting dust while a rtx 4090 does the daily grind now.

NVidia isn't perfect either and some drivers work better than others depending on your use case but my games play correctly now.

0 Likes

This is a blatant lie.

I just changed from a Nvidia 1660 GTX Super to a 6800XT and i have/had the flicker shadows issue on both cards at station/planets fleet carrier.   Only play ED in VR.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Has anyone contacted frontier or used the bug report tool in the Adrenaline software to make AMD aware of the issue? This is a community forum run by people who do work for AMD, but devs don't seem to really spend time here. This site is run by community managers. The vast majority of problems are solved by people reporting using the bug report tool in the Adrenaline software.  

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
armirol
Adept I

Try to reset shaders cache in adrenaline software... corrupted shaders data can have weird effects

buzz74
Adept I

The sad fact is if you are a regular Elite Dangerous VR player you should not by an AMD gfx card. Both Frontier and AMD have done nothing to fix these issues for over 6 months and there are zero signs that anything will be done in future.

0 Likes
DarkDabula
Journeyman III

Hi,

it's so frustrating that neither Frontier nor AMD are moving to solve the problem. I regret to buy an AMD graphics card last year. When this is the reward for not choosing Nvidia, I will never do it again.

For the record:

- I am using an 6800 XT

- Latest recommended driver 22.11.2

- Playing ED in VR with a HP Reverb G2

- Landable planets are displayed borked (parts are missng or are mirrored)

- The pretty old and less performance driver 22.5.1 are fine, but this can't be the solution

Tried everthing, some solutions are temporarely working for one session or not. At frontiers ticket system the issue is in state "Vote"

https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/56183

but I itn't clear if Frontier will care about it.

I Frontier forums other players even with 7xxx cards reporting the same issue

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/amd-rx-6000-series-driver-issues-workarounds.607423/page-14

Will there be ever a solution ?

Hopeful regards

wow 7xxx users as well?  This is extremely disturbing.

I am so done with AMD. NEVER AGAIN!

0 Likes
jsk68
Challenger

"I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue. I just bought odyssey yesterday. I have had horizons before. When I drive my SRV, the GPU drivers crash pretty often, leading the game or any videos I watch to crash. This started with Odyssey, and it doesn't happen with any other games (CP2077 and Star Citizen are the two most demanding games I've run on the system on max).

My specs are:

Nvidia RTX 3080

Ryzen 3700x

32 GB ram @ 3200mhz

I updated my drivers and did a clean install, but the problem still persists."

Yeah go back to nvidia because they don't have problems.....

0 Likes
buzz74
Adept I

Just noting for those that are playing ED in VR with a WMR headset and SteamVR, Ive just discovered that if you use OpenXR with OpenComposite the broken planet rendering and landings no longer occurs!

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the posts. 

We are currently investigating an issue whereby Plants can become visually corrupted, and you cannot always land on plants. This is affecting Elite Dangerous in VR.

I'll update the thread once I have more information to share. 

0 Likes
vileric
Adept I

I can confirm that this planet problem remains in the newest drivers for elite dangerous in VR, 23.2.2... so annoying, it has been months and months... and no fix for the latest AMD advantage laptop running a 6800m card.

Nils1971
Adept I

Same problemss with RX 6800 XT.

Can't even start with my VR connected, because the AMD apparently thinks its a monitor.

Looks like its back to 22.5.1 for the time being and then to another graphics card

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please could you let me know the image quality settings you use when seeing this issue in game?

0 Likes
Nils1971
Adept I

I have the problems in VR Low, VR High, VR Medium.

I played around with some custom settings for AA and such. But the last times i only switched to a default VR setting and tested the planets

DarkDabula
Journeyman III

Hi,

the settings "terrain work" and "terrain quality" seems to have some unreliable influence. Sometimes it helped to switch terrain quality from "high" to "low" or vice versa and start a new session. But if and how the settings work or not also seems to depend of the size of the landable planet. Some settings of "terrain work" so it for small planets but not for big and vice versa. I never could find a a permanent working solution.

My only workaround for my WMR Headset in the moment is to bypass SteamVR with the OpenXR toolkit with OpenComposite.

Regards.

vileric
Adept I

I second unreliable with terrain work and terrain quality has some minor influence and toggling them seems to help more as you get closer to the planet, logging in and out, and jumping into and back to the system with the problem.  Someone in a previous thread mentioned that it was just like "blowing into a nintendo cartridge" with these settings, i.e. something it works... and sometimes you need to blow into it and try again.

It feels like maybe it has something to do with what terrain is built when in the system you are in... and this just tweaks that.

0 Likes
vileric
Adept I

Lately, I've been getting a crash with "Orange Sidewinder" a lot too with problematic landing spots, even when tweaking these settings multiple times and trying to return to land.

0 Likes
Nils1971
Adept I

I don't think thatf terrain work is the problem. I tried different VR-settings.

The planets look from far away something like this )O( instead of (O). Some textures get mixed up.

Next time when i try a new driver i will make a screen shot.

0 Likes
vileric
Adept I

You can randomize terrain work and terrain quality with logout/login as you get closer to planets to add some randomness to the effect... and you just pray that the planet that you are trying to land on when you do that gets fixed.  You notice that not all planets have the issue.  It sucks when you end up on terrain that is missing and you fall into the planet.  Thank god for the stuck/recovery feature... or I'd be constantly calling Frontier support, it would be game breaking.  All only in VR, I never had a problem with normal display play. 

I wish I could get OpenXR composite to work, or I'd try that for sure... it won't load for me.

0 Likes
vileric
Adept I

Another observation, it never occurs for stars.  I have not seen it affect anything but landable planets.  Gas giants and planets you cannot land on do not seem to experience this issue.

0 Likes

I have the Same issued in VR with my 7900 xtx. Some planets seem to be broken. Tried different Terrain settings No luck of course i try again with the newest Driver and reset the shader Cache and let Elite rebuilt it again. I will Report. 

Tried with valve Index in 80hz with 400percent supersampling in steamvr

0 Likes

Nope, the issue remains.

0 Likes
MacheteMouth
Journeyman III

I've spent ages trying to fix this, then came across this thread ... yeh, this sucks,, and yes, as of today, it still isn't fixed.  Originally, I fixed it by just verifying files, but then the latest AMD driver update (23.5.2) broke it again and now I this method doesn't do anything.

GPU
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
Driver edition as stated above: 23.5.2

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor 4.58 GHz
Corsair Vengence 3200 RAM 128 GB

0 Likes