cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

DX9 game stutter due to insufficient clock speed (FIX FOUND)

So, after purchasing this card to play some newer titles I also expected it to run the older ones. I run a retro youtube channel and need them to work.

Anyways, I was wrong and it turned out to be 3 days of agony trying to get the game I play the most work (command and conquer 3). The game was stuttering like crazy and lagged terribly. I later discovered through GPU-Z that the clock speed was fluctuating between 6mhz and 130mhz. which isn't sufficient for the 4k resolution I was running the game at. Moving on, I used OBS to fix the issue by just leaving it on without recording, and it keeps the gpu clock speed above 600mhz, (not 6) without increasing gpu usage. 

I do have an issue though with full screen, I keep needing to alt tab twice into the game because alt tabbing once results in a huge amount of lag and stutter. I have tried the last four driver releases and each exhibit this. Would be nice if this was looked into and DX9 titles are given more love. On this occasion I think it's an issue with the power management and the card unable to retain a stable clock speed in less demanding games. Should be fixable through a driver, right ?

1 Reply
wasnvidia
Adept I

Can confirm the same thing in other lesser dx titles, we have little to no support on games.