cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

salik
Journeyman III

Drivers installation issue with Amd radeon hd8790m.

I am using Dell latitude e6540 which is having dedicated graphics of amd radeon hd8790m, I am using this notebook for about 2 years but since the first day I am having some serious kind of issue with installing amd drivers, whenever I install its official latest drivers from amd official site most of the time the installer just hang on middle and whole of system just freezes if I hard restart my pc, next time on booting display is totally gone, so somehow I needs to go in safe mode to uninstall amd drivers then display works 

There was one old driver of amd I dont exactly remember which one was that but it worked properly and all of my apps and games were working fine but also when I tried to update it with official driver installer some bad stuff happens which result in either the same issue or drivers fails to install, so it means there is no issue with my hardware.

Now I have reinstalled my windows and lost that driver version and trying to install amd drivers for 2 days, I have downloaded latest version for my gpu which is Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.9.2  

but issue is still the same.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
salik
Journeyman III

Thanks alot, that worked totally fine, I install old amd drivers from dell site and then downloaded latest adrenaline edition drivers from amd and installed them, now everything is working fine

View solution in original post

25 Replies

Found your laptop's DELL Support Download page from here: Support for Latitude E6540 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell Bulgaria 

It has a 4 y/o old AMD Driver for your Laptop GPU Card :

AMD Drivers needs to have the latest Intel Integrated Graphic and Chipsets installed which seems to be shown above. It is best to install FIRST the Dell's drivers which are customized for your laptop instead of AMD generic drivers.

If your Dell is working correctly with Dell's drivers you can now try and update with the latest AMD driver using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in Safe Mode with the internet disconnected. Once it reboots after DDU clean out all AMD traces with the internet still disconnected install the latest Dell or AMD Driver. Then reconnect the internet and delete C:\AMD folder in the Root Directory.

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS and CHIPSET installed on your laptop:

Here is AMD Forums recommendation on how to install AMD drivers in a laptop: https://community.amd.com/thread/207699 

I was having very similar, and very frustrating, issues with the same Dell Latitude E6540 build and trying to update from the old 2015 AMD display adapter driver that Dell provides.  I figured that using the AMD software would make it simple... autodetect, recommend the appropriate driver, and then install it, but unfortunately despite using all of its recommended settings it caused my system to hang, black-screen, and ultimately not load into Windows 10 anymore.  To get my computer at all functional again I had to roll back to a recent System Restore point, once I was able to access the Windows Recovery Environment that is.  Device Manager also showed under Display Adapters a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" instead of an AMD one, and it had an exclamation point with error "Code 31" listed.  I pretty much had to ignore that Code 31 stuff and decided to next use Microsoft's five simple steps for utilizing the "sfc /scannow" command for Window 10 in order to find and repair any system file corruptions.

Following elstaci's steps here very closely (while having other programs closed, firewall off, and antivirus turned off), and also while referencing the DDU guide and using DDU's recommended AMD removal settings, I was at last able to get the Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.2 to install and run on this machine.  I have not tested much as far as stability yet, but let's just say it is thrilling to have Windows 10 acting normal again and to have anything responding normally on the AMD d/GPU front.

I opted for the Safe Mode and DDU tool approach because I have had good success with it elsewhere in the past.  Granted, the whole process as outlined required some patience and care, and there was some suspense in the form of things like a very very long restart after the driver install, but so far... wow!

Thank you all for your reporting of this issue and for your help!

0 Likes

@elstaci wrote:

Found your laptop's DELL Support Download page from here: Support for Latitude E6540 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell Bulgaria 

It has a 4 y/o old AMD Driver for your Laptop GPU Card :

pastedImage_2.png

AMD Drivers needs to have the latest Intel Integrated Graphic and Chipsets installed which seems to be shown above. It is best to install FIRST the Dell's drivers which are customized for your laptop instead of AMD generic drivers.

If your Dell is working correctly with Dell's drivers you can now try and update with the latest AMD driver using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in Safe Mode with the internet disconnected. Once it reboots after DDU clean out all AMD traces with the internet still disconnected install the latest Dell or AMD Driver. Then reconnect the internet and delete C:\AMD folder in the Root Directory.

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS and CHIPSET installed on your laptop:

pastedImage_3.png

Here is AMD Forums recommendation on how to install AMD drivers in a laptop: https://community.amd.com/thread/207699 

When I click on that link at the end (ending 207699) it says: "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

How do I get to see that thread about how to install AMD drivers in a laptop?

0 Likes
salik
Journeyman III

Thanks alot, that worked totally fine, I install old amd drivers from dell site and then downloaded latest adrenaline edition drivers from amd and installed them, now everything is working fine

The Centrino 6235 is known to be problematic with windows 10

Beware you may need to fix the BIOS to change it out

0 Likes

Hello .I got Dell e6540 lattitude it freezes on radeon graphics driver installation .can u guide me for this issue .as well as ur issue is resolved or not 

0 Likes

By this method is ur issue resolved with Dell e6540 

0 Likes

Myself no, i'm not experiencing the freezes and what not just broken drivers anywhere after 18.12.1 after installing and uninstalling every driver after dells driver from 2015 driver for the amd hd 8790m to so many drivers i can't even count them all . Have found drivers after that period just don't work with various problems from breaking the switching options, to vulkan not working to not installing itself correctly to just broken, mentioned it to amd tech got told because of the oem side of it to use the dell drivers, even went as far as uninstalling the intel 4600 dell driver and tried the intel web site only to find not even the 18.12.1 worked and ended up going back to dell drivers so my method is safe mode, ddu uninstall both intel and amd drivers goto dell sites download the intel 2019 driver install it (adds switchable options needed for amd 8790m to function) then download 2015 amd 8790m driver from dell install that restart and then use the 18.12.1 whql signed driver and just update no clean install otherwise it breaks options i have full vulkan support 1.20 (used vulkan benchmarks and doom 2016 to test it) plus normal d3d and opengl 

0 Likes

Actually the drivers on the Dell support website are updated to 2020 version. It only shows that the driver version is of 2015 but if you go into the details page it shows updated in 2020. The 2014 version is updated to 2019 version as well. But the installation issue still remains.

I got it to work the first time, took me a whole day. But it worked and then updated via device manager to latest version and it still worked. I used the guide given here. 

You should check your charger as well because the 90 watt charger usually doesn't provide enough power and the laptop freezes frequently. The 130 watt charger provides enough power.

0 Likes

Um i dunno where ya downloading your dell drivers but at

"https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-mk/product-support/product/latitude-e6540-laptop/drivers"

2019 for the intel 4600

and 2015 for the amd 8790M

Pic below

e6540drivers.jpg

0 Likes

You can see in that picture that release date and last updated date is different, i.e 2015 and 2019.

Also for me the driver version is 15.2001 last updated December 2020.

0 Likes

Your's is 14.3 last updated last updated Oct 2019.

Different regions have different versions of update on support download site. 

0 Likes

See the last update date in the picture you shared bro. 

0 Likes

your missing the point these drivers are old, no 2020 or 2021 drivers ie support for say vulkan=no on a 2015 driver, no support for doom eternal "minimum 20.3.1" and been to several different dell sites same drivers so post a screen shot or link where you got 2020 drivers?

0 Likes

ah your using windows 10, i'm using windows 7 64bit updated to 3 of march 2020 updates

0 Likes

and a driver 15.2 is a 2015 driver 2020 driver ie 20.3.1

0 Likes

a intel 4600 2020 driver is ---> 15.36.40.5162 but doesn't work correctly from intel for the e6540 and needs the dell driver and that version is latest a 2019 10.18.14.5074 and a 2015 amd dell driver for 8790m which is actually a modified 2014 driver (AMD Radeon HD 8790M - PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6606)

0 Likes

You're confusing release date with update date. Sure it was released in 2015 and has the same driver version number, but the driver itself is updated to 2020 one. Those are two different things. 

0 Likes

how am i confusing it?, its a 2015 driver not a 2020 driver at all, and it isn't updated in anyway shape or form

0 Likes

driver 15.2= 2015 driver,  driver 20.11.2 for the amd 8790m 2020 november driver !!

amdriver.JPG

which doesn't work and breaks functionality of the card any driver after 18.12.2 ie if you try an install newer drivers for say a newer game that isn't possible well i haven't been able to on 4x dell e6540 laptops only way i have found to install any newer driver is to install the 2019 intel 4600 dell driver, then the amd 2015 driver, and then install the 18.12.2 from amd's site (and that just upgrades the files) 

0 Likes

No need to get aggressive. It's not a technical debate. My laptop's in repairs for hardware issue otherwise I would share a screen shot. Release date is the initially released. Update date is when it was updated.

ON amd site they don't just update the drivers they send a new release.

I was just sharing my experience with my laptop. If you don't like what I'm saying then just ignore it and move on. On my part this discussion is over.

0 Likes

not angry sharing my experience with my laptop and also issues i found and was wondering if anyone had the same.

with more investigations i found with windows 10 newer drivers are supported, but as for windows 7 64 bit only version radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.2.1 and below work fine anything above nope

with the windows 7 , 18.2.1 even vulkan works with the amd 8790m.  Windows 10 got version 20.8.1 working exactly the same way as in windows 7 (all dell drivers then download new version of driver) just loaded up doom eternal,working fine,but with windows 7 because the drivers destroy functionality (needs dells Intel 4600 driver 2019 one link to the amd 8790m) where as windows 10 driver doesn't destroy the dell Intel drivers needed to function only problem is bah windows 10

jaberwoc
Journeyman III

A slightly easier method, that worked for me:

1) Ensure BIOS and drivers are up to date, as in the first answer

2) Uninstall AMD graphics adapter via Device Manager (check box for 'delete driver software')

3) Manually delete AMD folders from root folder, program files and program files (x86) folders.

4) Disable auto device driver updates in Control Panel (system>advanced system settings>hardware tab>device installation settings>)  - check the 'no' button, then save changes buttons.

5) Proceed with installation of latest AMD Adrenaline drivers package.

This worked fine on all Dell Latitude e6540 models I've seen to date.  Saves having to go to safe mode and using DDU.  If the BIOS and drivers are up to date, no need to ever disconnect from internet or reboot.  Just seems a bit simpler to me IMHO.

0 Likes

Tried that, still black screen. Although laptop was responding. But could not boot.

0 Likes

best i have had is using the 18.2.1 whql driver (everything including vulkan 1.20 works) but limited by newer version destory functionality of discreet gpu either vulkan broken\opengl or something else haven't found a working way of having a driver latter the 18.2.1 19.9.2 works but vulkan doesn't

0 Likes