d-velev
Adept I

Drivers failing to load for RX 6600 XT

Hello everyone,

I recently got a new PC with the following specs:

GPU: RX 6600 XT

CPU: RYZEN 5 5600X 6 core

Motherboard: ASRock b450 steel legend

I used the auto-detect tool to install drivers. At first everything was fine, the GPU was working as expected, but after a reboot, the drivers didn't load and the ones that were used were the default builtin drivers. When I open DxDiag I see a "There is a problem with AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT device. For more information, search for 'graphics device driver error code 43'" error. I've also gotten error codes 22 and 31 at some point. I've tried removing the drivers with DDU and reinstalling them countless times, no luck with that. I've tried the drivers ranging from 21.8.2 to the newest one. I also frequently get a "No Signal" on my monitor after the initial boot screen so I've been using remote desktop. I've also tried disabling automatic updates and automatic device installation (in case the drivers get overwritten by windows). I'm really out of ideas now, any help would be really appreciated.

15 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do not use an autotool, download Radeon driver 21.10.1 from the AMD site, deactivate Windows Update and network card, automatic device installation setting to no, delete the graphics and monitor drivers in safe mode with DDD, restart and then install the drivers, then restart and network card reactivate. This procedure prevents the AMD Microsoft driver from being installed and Windows Update from running, which can lead to these problems!

0 Likes

Hello,

How did you get the AMD Microsoft driver to auto install? I have to go to the "View optional updates" to install them. I'm baffled as most drivers that I've installed usually default to the best ones that also tend to be the most recent ones for whatever hardware was installed. 

Since AMD left the Catalyst Control Center and switched to Adrenalin things have gotten better since. For a number of years I used Afterburner to which I even liked using it for video capture, and it is nice enough tool but it's gone the way side for my own use as I've gotten used to Adrenalin. Yet I wish they would change how the registry would be cleaned up whenever a new version of whatever software was being updated, thus we wouldn't need to use the AMD Cleanup Utility or DDU.

Thank You,

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G
0 Likes

Hey,

Those drivers that you see in windows update aren't being installed automatically, I just mentioned that I disable any automatic updates just in case windows decides to override the drivers that I install.

0 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion but I'm afraid that didn't work as well. Halfway through the driver installation I got a No Signal from my monitor and it's not coming back up. Usually when this happens and I've got my internet enabled I can see with my remote client that the installation has completed but the drivers still aren't loaded.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update your motherboard chipset driver

0 Likes

I have the latest 1.0.0.83 chipset drivers.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

What kind of power supply do you have, the minimum is a 650 W, but at least a 750 to 800 W Gold is better. When restarting, full power is briefly activated until the BIOS starts. If your power supply fails, this can lead to such problems, there are contributions here in the community.

0 Likes

I have an EVGA 700W W1.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If nothing works, the standard display adapter is loaded after deinstallation with DDD and restart. Then just restart and see whether the Microsoft AMD driver is installed or update the driver yourself, then the graphics card is displayed in the device manager. If it works like this and does not work with the AMD Radeon driver, it is probably due to the standard settings of the graphics driver of your graphics card. You should set the PCI Express from Auto to Gen 3 or 4 in the BIOS, at least a 650 W power supply is also suggested. The power should be 150-200 W higher and bet on gold.

0 Likes

Hello,

I'd try swap'n the card into a different machine. How're the display cables? Change from DP to HDMI as a test. It's rare, but you might have received a card that has a defect. Yet if you can access the BIOS an it's just a driver issue, all else fails...

Reinstall, but enable motherboard devices one at a time, step by step. This is a much slower method of install, but it allows Windows not to install so many system devices at once. The motherboard needs information from the chip to set parameters, then it has to sort out the DDR especially if your throwing in DDR settings, Windows is sorting out all of it's base drivers before a person even gets to the desktop and has to reboot several times to update it's UEFI as it goes. Meanwhile people get to watch the little dots spiral around and watch the splash screens each time.

On the amusing side of all this, it reminds me of Win 95 with "Plug 'n' Pray" but todays hardware is so much faster so that when Windows crashes it's almost like immediate as if one hit a impenetrable wall. Only thing that didn't change... BSOD!  lmao

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G
0 Likes
fatcat95
Adept I

Have you figured it out by now? I have the same problem. Fighting with this issue since 21.8.1 driver to the very recent 21.10.2. It sometimes work and then breaks sooner or later. I never had that problem on my Linux Manjaro KDE Partition. Either Windows breaks it or AMD doesnt know how to write a solid installer for Windows? I already disabled auto updates under sysdm.cpl ... I am really pissed I bought this GPU. Should have paid the Nvidia premium in hindsight

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

One problem is that if you reinstall the Radeon driver after DDD using the network, the AMD Microsoft driver can automatically intervene via the device installation setting and Windows Update. Therefore deactivate everything. You can also deactivate the two AMD services with msconfig. The adrenaline software is too confusing, the Radeon driver probably tweaks the graphics settings of the card. That is why the crash occurs again after occasionally stable gaming, only changing parameters or a clean reinstallation helps. After a crash with restart, Radeon restores the default setting, but varies the core voltage.

0 Likes

I can't find a fix, I've tried every different driver as well. I can't even get the drivers to load once, whenever I install them I immediately get a message that they've failed to load. Really don't understand how it's so hard to get drivers working

0 Likes

ok, try resetting your Motherboard onboard memory by removing the CMOS battery for like 10-20sec.remove the Power plug too beforehand. then DON'T change anything in the BIOS settings. only after that install the Radeon drivers, after windows is up to date ofc. please let me know how it goes for you. it works for me. do not change BIOS settings ever during or after 

nevermind, still broken. I will never buy an AMD GPU ever again.

0 Likes

**bleep**, thank you anyway.

0 Likes