cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

beeeenify
Journeyman III

Drivers causing BSOD

Hi, whenever I use Chrome for a period of time, a BSOD occurs with VIDEO TDR FAILURE and atikmpag.sys failed. I believe the driver is causing this as when I disable the driver, the issue does not occur. I of course want to be using the most up to date drivers to play the newest games but I don't want BSOD to happen. Note: this never occurs when playing games, games run like a beauty. 

I have a new build PC with the following specs:

PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max 

Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 16GB 3000MHz

Corsair TX650M PSU 

Windows 10 Home Version 1909 OS Build 18363.836

I have tried Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.1 and 20.3.1. Both caused BSOD. I used DDU to perform a clean install of drivers (tried this more than once) but this did not fix the issue. I have also updated the BIOS which didn't fix the issue.

All the online help refers to changing the atikmpag.sys file. However, when going to C:/Windows/System32/Drivers this file is not there so I cannot attempt this fix. I've seen that you can apparently download this file but I am sceptical about doing this.

I am wondering if using an older driver is better and would fix my problem? Apart from doing a clean install of windows (trying to avoid that) I am out of ideas. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2 Replies

This has been a widely reported issue. While it is only a work around not a true driver fix. Many find that disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome helps the issue. Also many report they don't get the issue with Firefox either. 

See if that helps and report the issue to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

Thanks! I'll give it a go!

0 Likes