cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jboynton
Journeyman III

Driver won't update on 8650g on Windows 10

I have an HD8650g on Windows 10. I recently downloaded Red Dead Redemption 2, which requires the current graphics driver. Using the AMD Catalyst software it said I was using 15.301 driver. It showed 16.60 as the newest driver when I check for updates. I select the 16.60 driver to install which then launches the installer. It starts and then shows my current driver, 15.301 and recommends, 15.7. There is no option for the 16.60. Worse, I download and install the 15.7 driver and then restart my computer and my driver is still the 15.301. I did this numerous times. I even deleted the AMD package of software from my computer, ran the AMD clean up utility, and reinstalled the AMD Catalyst Crimson software. Same exact result. I'm stuck in a Groundhog Day situation with the AMD driver. How do I fix this.

For those that will tell me the RDR2 will run poorly on my computer. I know but I'd like to try anyway. Other Rockstar games work well so I thought I give it a try. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Your Laptop APU (A10-5750M) is not supported by AMD with driver updates. You only have a choice of two last latest drivers to install from AMD download page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a10-series-apu-for-laptops/a10-5750m-ra...

1- WHQL 2015

2-BETA 2016

But if the HP Support AMD drivers are about the same year or version it is best to download and install HP's own AMD APU Driver for your laptop since it is 100% compatible with all of your laptop's features.

AMD generic mobile laptop drivers are generally a basic VGA driver which won't use all of your HP laptop's features.

NOTE: If you need to upgrade the APU AMD Driver to a later version than 2016 than you either need to upgrade the Laptop's APU to a processor still supported by AMD or upgrade your laptop to one that is supported by AMD with driver updates.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

First of all I am betting you have a APU. Tell us which as that determines the driver.

Information Required When Posting a Discussion

https://community.amd.com/t5/knowledge-base/information-required-when-posting-a-discussion/ta-p/4227...

0 Likes

I'm not a computer person so if I got this wrong, please let me know and I will look again. Here is what I have:

CPU Type
AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 2.5 GHz

16GB RAM

Laptop - HP Envy 15 TC Notebook

Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 10.0.19042 Build 19042

Driver Packaging Version
15.301.1901-160226a-299900E

Display - Generic PnP Monitor

BIOS - Insyde F.14, 11/14/2013

BaseBoard - HP 198B KBC Version 03.14

Memory - Patriot PSD38G1600L2S 1.35V 8GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 SODIMM Memory and Samsung 1x 8GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM PC3L-12800S Dual Rank x8 Module

0 Likes

Run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
Right-click Start
Select Control Panel
Go to View by the option on the top right corner
Click the drop-down arrow and select Large icons
Click Troubleshooting
Click View all option on the left pane
Click Hardware and Devices
Click Advanced
Click Run as Administrator
Click Next
If you can’t install drivers on Windows 10, then run the Hardware and Device troubleshooter to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Caleb

0 Likes

Caleb,

I tried a version of this. I followed all the directions until it got to Hardware and Devices. I did not have that option. I posted a photo below of the options I had. I picked Program Compatibility and then Advanced, then Run as Admin. I selected Radeon Settings, which suggested to run the program with Windows 8 compatibility. I saved the settings and attempted to install new drivers. Same thing happened. AMD Software says 16.20 is the newest driver, I select it to update now, the installer opens, runs, and tells me 15.7 is recommended. I select that one, install it, select finish, and that's it. I don't get a reboot suggestion so I just reboot it anyway. I check my driver and still the same, 15.301. 

jboynton_0-1616597653985.png

0 Likes

Your Laptop APU (A10-5750M) is not supported by AMD with driver updates. You only have a choice of two last latest drivers to install from AMD download page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a10-series-apu-for-laptops/a10-5750m-ra...

1- WHQL 2015

2-BETA 2016

But if the HP Support AMD drivers are about the same year or version it is best to download and install HP's own AMD APU Driver for your laptop since it is 100% compatible with all of your laptop's features.

AMD generic mobile laptop drivers are generally a basic VGA driver which won't use all of your HP laptop's features.

NOTE: If you need to upgrade the APU AMD Driver to a later version than 2016 than you either need to upgrade the Laptop's APU to a processor still supported by AMD or upgrade your laptop to one that is supported by AMD with driver updates.

Use DDU in Safe mode with the internet disconnected and delete AMD installation folder at C:\AMD to prevent conflicts or corruption when installing a AMD driver package.

After successfully installing the AMD Driver, reconnect the Internet and again delete C:\AMD installaiton folder.

0 Likes

So it seems I have what I have and can't upgrade unless I buy a new computer with an updated graphics card. Would an external GPU like the Razor Core X be helpful in upgrading my graphics or a waste of money? 

0 Likes

I don't know, maybe some other User can answer your question.

But I would think your APU would moderately or severely throttle your newer GPU card since it isn't a very powerful processor.

just guessing though.

I would ask your HP Support that question and see what they suggest.

0 Likes