cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

irish_steve
Journeyman III

Driver version wrong

So, I downloaded radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-19.2.1-minimalsetup-190204_web yesterday evening, which was what the auto detect found for my machine. Initially, the install failed, I was using 19.1, telling me that components are already installed, and on investigation this morning, it's recommended to uninstall previous versions, so I did. Reboot and install the file downloaded, which installed. On completion, Radeon screen tells me that it's installed 19.1 !

I really don't appreciate wasting valuable time to achieve nothing at all, the regular notifications of an update are annoying enough, in that when I check I find I already have the latest version installed, to then get an E-mail telling me that there's a new version, and being messed about like this is even more annoying.

If I check on the AMD site using the hardware selection option, it tells me that the latest version is 19.1, it's the auto detect application that (in theory) finds 19.2.1, as above, but there are clearly problems with that as it doesn't install 19.2

What's going on here, is this just a (BIG) mistake, or have I again got an out of date CPU and graphics chip that's not being properly supported? If that is the case, this will be my last AMD device ever, as I've been burnt not too long ago by Acer dropping support in Windows 10 for a machine (AMD based) that was only 2 years old, this (Lenovo) machine is still under warranty for some time to come, if it's not going to be supported, it will be returned under warranty, or small claims court action will be taken, and that will be the end of my use of AMD, if I buy a new computer, I don't expect it to be dropped from support before the warranty even expires.

0 Likes
5 Replies

Would need to know cpu/apu & graphics card model.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

0 Likes
irish_steve
Journeyman III

Radeon Software Version - 19.1.1
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics
Memory Size - 1024 MB
Memory Type - DDR4
Core Clock - 900 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 8 GB
CPU Type - AMD A9-9425 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G

Radeon Settings Version - 2019.0109.1906.34385
View Release Notes - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-1-1
Driver Packaging Version - 18.50.11.01-190109a-338124C-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2019
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01377
OpenGL® Version - 25.20.15000.13544
OpenCL™ Version - 25.20.15011.1004
AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.0295
AMD Mantle API Version - 102400
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.7
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.68
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.96

It's a Lenovo Ideapad 330 laptop , Windows 10, 1893 build 17134.619, which is up to date as far as Windows update is concerned, though it's NOT the latest Win 10, as that bricked the machine when installed on the same day as the latest BIOS update for the machine, but that's not an AMD issue as such. Lenovo have not come up with a solution for that, hence my comments about the AMD scenario, once bitten is enough.

Since posting the first message, I have gone into a number of places on the C: drive, and despite doing a full uninstall, there was a massive number of older folders in the AMD folder, and in drivers, so I've done a massive clean up of the old debris that was left lying around, so in theory, it should not now find any out of date versions or mixtures to confuse the issue. It looks like there's either a file name mix up on the servers, or the install routine used the wrong files for the supposed update, but without removing and retrying the install, I won't know which it was, I'm going to see how this pans out, there's a support request in with AMD as well, so it will be interesting to see what they have to say.

0 Likes

There's an update notification bug in 19.1.1 (this is current driver for many apu models), there is currently no new driver for yours. Ignore the notification, fix will probably be in new driver (unknown timeline).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

OK, while I can ignore the update notifications out of Radeon Software, it would seem that there's more than one bug, in that I had a stand alone E-mail notification of the 19,2 update, and in theory, 19.2 was what was offered by the auto detect software, and the concern and frustration is that a file with 19.2 name then installed 19.1 when executed, and in effect, due to the error message the first time round, there was close on an hour of messing around to eventually go nowhere with it. If AMD was a bit player in the market, I might accept that they made a mistake, but there seems to be a mind numbing level of confusion and error in this that is very worrying.

0 Likes