Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

graphicsproblem0
Journeyman III

Driver update crashed and now pc won't detect videocard

Hello,

I have a Radeon HD 7850. It has been working absolutely fine. Today I received a notification for a driver update so I clicked yes to download and install the new drivers.

Suddenly I got a black screen and my pc wouldn't do anything. I left it and came back and still nothing, so I restarted the computer. It now won't even detect my graphics card. All that appears in the device manager in display adaptors is my Intel onboard card. I tried installing the drivers again using the AMD update facility but it didn't detect anything.

I tried uninstalling all my old AMD programs and folders and using the AMD update facility again but it still wouldn't detect anything. I tried manually installing the driver for my card from AMD but it wouldn't work either.

I tried using CCleaner to clear registry problems, but that didn't help either. I tried looking in the BIOS but I couldn't even see my gfx card anywhere.

Please can someone help? Thanks

p.s. I opened my computer and the card is still active with the fan on.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
snakeeyesx80
Journeyman III

Re: Driver update crashed and now pc won't detect videocard

I'm using an HD 7870 and I'm having the same issue when trying to update from CAT 14.12 to 15.20. It gets just passed installing the display drivers and the screen flash once, then goes black. My monitor is still receiving a signal, but there's no picture. Thankfully Windows 7 creates a restore point, I have to roll it back to get it working again. So now I'm stuck with the older version. Which from what I've been reading on the forums might not be such a bad thing with all the issues people seem to be having with the new version.

Oh and I've already tired disabling my anti-virus, firewall, etc. Doesn't help.

0 Kudos
ltraven
Journeyman III

I had the exact same problem, I tried DDU and still didn't see my second card. I had to remove it and swap them from their slots they were in.

I suspect going back to Windows 8.1 or 7 would also solve this, this AMD/ATI drivers are the worse for Windows 10, complete garbage at least for 7000 series.. I have 2 7870's

graphicsproblem0
Journeyman III

Yep, I had to use a tool called DDU from Guru3d.com to remove all the left over crap from the driver installation but I still can't install the new driver and had to revert back to the previous 15.6, but at least it's working again.

0 Kudos
graphicsproblem0
Journeyman III

I just tried DDU and it worked for me to clear the driver stuff so I could reinstall 15.6

0 Kudos