cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Ocelot79
Journeyman III

Driver timeouts - RX570, v.21.5.1. Gaming setting to blame?

I've been having weird driver timeouts (2-3 second black screens) when browsing the internet and watching videos, and sometimes the computer will completely freeze when playing a game, requiring a manual reboot. This issue has been present with 21.5.1 and with the previous driver. When timeouts occur, the AMD Radeon Software program usually fails to open afterwards. Timeouts and freezes almost always happen shortly after booting the system. I also have Discord.exe open which AFAIK uses hardware acceleration.

Could this be caused by the "Gaming" setting in the global graphics settings in AMD Radeon Software? If so, why? I've noticed that when disabling it, no further timeouts will occur, but I'm not sure if that's the cause.

I've also noticed a couple of times that this "Gaming" setting doesn't work because image sharpening is absent on games even though the setting is on (and the games are compatible with sharpening).

I've ran stress tests to check that it's not my card itself failing and no problems were reported.

Anything else I can do? I would rollback but I've experienced the same issues with the previous driver as well. 

Thank you in advance.

12 Replies