cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jagdogger2525
Adept I

Driver Set 19.8.2 vs 19.9.2 & Old Games

I noticed that before updating my Radeon 5700XT Drivers to 19.9.2, I had the 19.8.2 drivers and games like the original Sims, Warhammer 40k: Winter Assault, Prey (2006), and the main 4 Quakes (links below on Quake for support to fix this) were all working perfectly fine. Full and in the middle of the Screen with black bars (for anyone who has played old games while upgrading their computer, they know that this is normal).

That was with 19.8.2. Here is why I would bring up 19.9.2. I updated it to 19.9.2 and all of a sudden, the games shrunk and went into the upper left corner of the screen. I thought it was weird and I got worried. Turned out, that after using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and reinstalling 19.8.2, the problem was solved.

Games:

Quake: The Offering on GOG.com

Quake II: Quad Damage on GOG.com

Quake III: Gold on GOG.com

Quake 4 on GOG.com

This really isn't a question, it's more of a problem that needs to be fixed by AMD.

0 Likes
26 Replies
colesdav
MVP

Re: Driver Set 19.8.2 vs 19.9.2 & Old Games

Did you run an incremental update from the AMD Radeon Settings?  It often fails to install properly for me.
Just download full Adrenalin Driver. Download latest version of DDU. Disconnect from the internet. Boot into safe mode.
Run DDU to remove all old AMD/Nvidia driver traces. Reboot into normal mode. Install new Adrenalin driver version.
Reboot. Connect to internet.
The AMD incremenal installer / installer is broken without use of DDU in too many cases.
It needs fixed / improved.
You should not need to use DDU but in practice I find I do.

jagdogger2525
Adept I

I wouldn't have posted it if it worked on the incremental even after DDU

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Great observation. The OP may find if they installed the new driver that same way it would be fine too. Worth a shot and if it is bad report it to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes
jagdogger2525
Adept I

Please see my reply as I did do DDU and the newest one and it still did it

fosheazy
Adept I

Were you using Virtual Super Resolution for those old games?

0 Likes
drallim
Elite

colesdav
MVP

It looks like this one might be specific to RX5700/XT.
It might be that AMD is working on new GPU Integer Scaling on RX5700/XT since it is on new feature voting list here, and that might have caused something to break: 
Vote for Radeon Software Ideas - July 2019 
I have a copy of Quake II RTX on Steam, I can try and see if that runs that on Adrenallin 19.9.2 on an RX Vega 64 Liquid right now and let you know if that is broken if you want.
If you have an old title like Star Wars Dark Forces I can try that out as well. It was scaling o.k. on RX Vega 64 Liquid last time I checked.
Thanks.

0 Likes
drallim
Elite

colesdav wrote:

It looks like this one might be specific to RX5700/XT.

I'm afraid not. It's happening on laptops too.

CS:GO Doesn't Run FullScreen on AMD 560X Laptop 

https://community.amd.com/thread/243725 

pokester
MVP

Sorry to hear that. All you can do is return to a driver that worked as you have. Just make sure to report it to AMD.

0 Likes