cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

artymcfarty
Journeyman III

Driver installation errors. I've tried everything.

I am getting errors when trying to install/update. Please scroll down for computer specs.

1. Error 1603 – A General Error Has Occurred During the Installation of the AMD Software Package
  2. Can't detect the version of my graphics card?

Corrupted registry keys and/or system files

As far as I can tell, nothing is corrupted. SFC /SCANNOW stated that there were no issues with integrity.

Corrupted Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable files

Did a repair on all packages installed, just to be sure.

Missing critical and/or important Windows updates

Updated ALL THE THINGS!

Graphics driver and software conflicts

Disabled onboard Intel graphics and uninstalled drivers...I think.

False positives reported and blocked by antivirus software

I turned this completely off.

Untitled-2.gif

Untitled-1.gif

Untitled-3.gif

Graphics card: XFX Radeon R9 390X DirectX 12 R9-390X-8256 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

I tried to update to 18.1 whatever before and also had a problem. Now I can't even install a previous version.

I have moved my graphics card to a different PCI slot, and the issues still persist.

I have used the AMD removal utility to try and install fresh copies, the issue still persists.

I managed to install the original drivers that came with the graphics card after five tries, and now my computer is incredibly sluggish.

Message was edited by: D Ko

0 Likes
1 Solution

Have you tried DDU  Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.8.3   from safe mode. It seems to do a great job of cleaning the slate for fresh driver installs. When you then install the latest AMD driver do a custom install and choose the clean install.  If that doesn't do the trick, I would offer that if you have another hard drive, install a clean install from there and see how that runs? You at least then know if it is worth starting over with clean Windows install or if maybe you have a hardware issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies

Have you tried DDU  Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.8.3   from safe mode. It seems to do a great job of cleaning the slate for fresh driver installs. When you then install the latest AMD driver do a custom install and choose the clean install.  If that doesn't do the trick, I would offer that if you have another hard drive, install a clean install from there and see how that runs? You at least then know if it is worth starting over with clean Windows install or if maybe you have a hardware issue.

0 Likes

I did as you instructed with the DDU in safe mode. Booted back up and it reinstalled on the first try. Thanks!

0 Likes

You have a Desktop with a Gigabyte Z97X-SLI (Revision 1.0) motherboard. I notice you have an old BIOS installed. The latest Non-BETA BIOS is F9 ((/2015) and the latest BETA BIOS is F10b (3/2016). Saw that Revisions 1.1 and  1.2 have the same downloads. Upgrading your BIOS may fix your 1603 error. Plus make sure you have the latest Intel Chipset installed with your Intel CPU/APU.

0 Likes

I found the solution, but I should probably go update those!

0 Likes
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

MODERATOR NOTE:  I am glad to see you have resolved your issue. To help keep this post on topic and help other with a similar issue, I am locking this thread.

0 Likes