cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

HGdukedude
Journeyman III

Driver for old GPU

I have a mid-2011 iMac with an AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics processor.  I have installed the current version (22.04) of Ubuntu on this iMac.  When I looked for a driver for the GPU, I found that the latest version of Ubuntu that AMD has for this GPU is Ubuntu 14.04.  This is a second computer, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on hardware upgrades.  Any suggestions as to how I can install an AMD driver as opposed to using the generic Ubuntu driver?

0 Likes
1 Solution

The HD 6000 series GPU were made legacy in 2015 which means there will be no AMD driver updates since that time.

So unless you can install the Ubuntu Driver from version 14.04 to your latest version I don't see a way to get your driver installed.

Also does your laptop have a AMD or Intel APU processor? if AMD then you need to upload the AMD APU integrated Graphics which will install both the IGPU and DGPU in laptop.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The HD 6000 series GPU were made legacy in 2015 which means there will be no AMD driver updates since that time.

So unless you can install the Ubuntu Driver from version 14.04 to your latest version I don't see a way to get your driver installed.

Also does your laptop have a AMD or Intel APU processor? if AMD then you need to upload the AMD APU integrated Graphics which will install both the IGPU and DGPU in laptop.