Journeyman III

Driver Fails to Install Causing Windows to Start Up Incorrectly

• AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD Radeon R9 390X 8GB GDDR5
  • Desktop or Laptop System
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software 16.6 (Or none right now because I uninstalled my driver)
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Thimphu Bios Version A0.11
  • CPU/APU
    • Intel Core i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Internal 600W Bronze Efficiency
  • RAM
    • 16GB DDR4

The problem that I am having is that my windows does not start up correctly. I wanted to update my driver from 16.6 to 19.4.3. However, when I went to update my driver, my computer restarted itself in the middle of the installation. Upon start up, it popped up this screen saying that windows had a problem starting up. I tried looking for some ways to resolve this issue. Majority of the solutions said to open windows in safe mode and uninstall the driver. I did as recommended and uninstalled my driver using DDU. Once my computer restarted after being cleaned, I went to install the newest driver. While the driver was installing, my computer once again restarted itself in the middle of installing the new driver. Again, when the computer starts back up, it brings me back to the same Automatic Repair blue screen. I honestly do not know what my problem here is. I have tried looking online for a solution, but I cannot find anyone with a problem similar to mine.

0 Likes
7 Replies

The problem is that Windows update has corrupted the install.

You will need to do a few things:

Disable Hibernation/Fast Startup

Download the latest AMD driver.  You may already have that.

Download DDU from Wagnardsoft_com. Follow the instructions, must be run from safe mode with internet disable.

Install the AMD driver with internet still disabled. This keeps Windows update from messing things up again. Choose clean install if available. If not that it good too as DDU fully cleaned the old driver info out.

Restart and plug the internet back in.

0 Likes

I did as you said. I disabled hibernation then I went to run DDU. Once that was done, I went to install the AMD driver without internet. However, my computer still keeps automatically restarting when the driver is 37% installed. Once my computer starts turning back on, I see myself at the automatic repair screen again. I made sure I ran DDU in safe mode without internet and tried to install the driver without internet, but I still get the same problem.

All I know is that my computer experiences a system failure when the driver is 37% installed which is what causes the automatic restart.

0 Likes

have you tried 19.5.1 yet?

if you machine hibernates, change the power plan to performance

0 Likes

I just tried 19.5.1 and that still causes a system failure.

As for the hibernation, I have disabled hibernation, but that still did not work. My power plan is also already on high performance.

0 Likes

probably best to reset windows as it seems you setup is mangled bad

0 Likes

It's not impossible you just have a card that went bad. If you have another computer I would try the card in it to see if it is the card or not. Unfortunately there are a lot of reports of cards going bad after the failed installs. 

0 Likes
duijckaerts
Adept I

If your GPU is from sub vendor HP, then we might have had the same issue. I came to the conclusion that there is an issue with the stock BIOS for HP's AMD R9 390X causing the driver install to fail and the system to hang.

I have created a custom BIOS for the AMD R9 390X HP OEM. I used an XFX BIOS (XFX.R9390X.8192.150612.rom) and updated fan and other settings to be equal to the original HP one.

I have flashed it and the GPU is working fine now. AMD drivers were updated to the latest version "Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.5.1-June10", 27.20.1017.1011.

A link to the modified ROM below. Use at own risk.
HP AMD Radeon R9 390X 113-C67132-104 - fixed

Output from GPU-Z:

GPU-Z.png

0 Likes