cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ellie
Adept I

Driver crash, computer freeze, monitor goes black. frustration level-maximum. 23.5.1 and older

Hello.

Short background -

About a month ago i have built my dream PC, this time around with full AMD build:

CPU 7800X3D

Board - MSI b650-p wifi

GPU XFX MERC 7900 XTX

I am using a Single monitor ASUS PG279Q with 165Hz.

During the last month i have been trying to deal myself with - Random crashes, My PC Just freezes, My monitor is doing one blink or goes completely black issues.

This has been happening mostly while i am gaming BUT it did happen on regular desktop use like browsing the internet (Firefox) or just on idle.

I have been taking many steps trying to solve the issue and nothing worked out, my PC keep crashing:

1. Lowering HZ to 144.

2. Installing minimal driver "Driver only" without the Adrenaline software.

3. Disabling the Internal GPU of my CPU.

4. Updating the BIOS,  Using stock RAM speeds (NO EXPO, NO XMP), NO Overclocking - NO PBO.

5. Monitoring temps all the time - everything is cool.

6. Installing chipset drivers.

7. Disabling MPO.

8. Using older driver version 22.12.2 - Still crashing although it took longer before i had my first crash.

9. Fresh install of windows and all my games, applications.

10. Benchmarks like Superposition / 3dmark / Passmark / cinebench r23 - were running without crashing. (results within normal range for my build).

Then last night i noticed DRIVER 23.5.1 was released and it is in the release notes that it has some crash fixes.

Hoping this might fix my problem i have cleared the old driver and installed 23.5.1 - shortly after i had another Crash.

I feel helpless.. this is not what i signed for when going with the latest high end AMD hardware.

after some researching i could find some people reporting having issues pretty similar to mine (one even said he hasnt found a solution for over two years, i can link it if anyone is interested).

Please @amd help me, i will provide any additional information per request.

Thank you.

17 Replies
xAHMEDx
Adept I

same here bro
but try the new update 23-5-1
this fix 

• Intermittent system crash while playing Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 580.
  • It might help us solve this problem

0 Likes

ellie's post says she is already installed 23-5-1 and it crashed again.

0 Likes
flopingbird
Adept I

Hey, I have a similar problem and I notice we both have msi b650 motherboards (I have carbon instead of pro). Do you think it could be a problem with the motherboard, you mention you've seen other people talk about this did they also have b650s?

Also sorry to hear about your problem, mine only does it when trying trying to use davanci or another gpu heavy app/game, I can only imagine how frustrating it is to have it happen all the time.

0 Likes

i cannot say it is b650 thing, i seen people with older motherboards having issues. dont know if i should have mention it in the first place because there could be so many reasons why someone have issues.

0 Likes
augerin
Journeyman III

i have the same problem with my 6800XT. random blackscreen, usually no graphics app running. Then when i reboot, drivers wont load. i think restarting again the drivers load. 

AMD_cire
Challenger

23.5.1, still happen to me but rarely.

First happen on Dota, just freeze at random time (seems like the HZ is mini miss interpret to display and freeze out forever) and cannot do anything. I solve it with change the DX11 to vulkan.

Yesterday, freeze again on Spiderman Morales.

It only happen when gaming on my case. What annoys me is it is total freeze, so need hard reset. I cannot alt-tab nor kill in task manager.

Well, what I notice is mini shutter before total freeze.. Once again feels like the GPU miscalculate and send to display monitor the wrong one and freeze..

Another info, when this is happened on me first time, I try to go back to previous driver version but it still happens.. weird or Windows update did change something.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G

Yeah, I think people with the newest Windows updates are the ones having black screen issues or other problems. Just a guess, though, what's annoying is that they didn't fix the problems in the new driver update.

0 Likes
ellie
Adept I

Thanks to everyone that take the time to comment. My issue was not solved. would AMD be kind and reply with a solution or troubleshoot?

My PC crashed again. it makes me very sad but i will not accept this for much longer - if they cant help me i will return their products back where it came from and buy the competitors hardware.

If you want to get their attention, then contact them through this link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

pbouna321
Adept I

Oof, have been regretting my purchase since I got it. My monitors wouldn't wake up with 23.2.2, and now with 23.5.1 my computer crashes daily. When it reboots the drivers don't load.

• Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX
  • AMD Ryzen 5600G
  • XFX 6650XT (Merc)
  • AMD 23.5.1
  • Windows 11 Home 22H2

When everything is working i would say it runs good, the problem it can fail on you any moment.. for what ever reason? crash after crash ;(

0 Likes
pozzallo
Journeyman III

I have the same problem updated to 23.5.1 and the new chipset drivers 5.05.16.529 . I have a Threadripper 3960x on a Gigabyte TRX40 Designare 1.0. I have disabled free-sync on my monitor 2560 x 1440  and lowered the HZ from 240 to 144 . My computer starts good sometimes and screen works and than other times I get  black screens and after restart my driver crashes on my Powercolor liquiddevil RX 7900 XTX. Games crash after 20 minutes playing and sometimes game crash on game startup. I have reinstalled windows 11 pro 64-bit and that does not help I have gone to older drivers and get the same problem.

CybormanX
Journeyman III

I'm having similar issues with a 6800 on version 23.5.1. I've tried reverting to an older driver with no success. I'm getting crashes in Beamng.drive and several other games that aren't graphics-heavy in any way. Beamng.drive gives me a graphics driver failure error. 

I've had a random BSOD when launching a game too.

AMD Radeon RX 6800
AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 6-Core Processor
32 GB 4800 MHz Corsair Vengance DDR5 Memory
ASRock X670E PG Lightning
Corsair RM850x 850W Power Supply

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

Right now, I just use 22.11.2 and seems this one is the stable. If you just want play game, just ignore newer driver as long as you can play the game without crash.

I quite understand your anger, your system like high-end and this is what you get...

Mine just low end, and i can play triple AAA games almost no crash (since 2023, well, DX11 broken and starting frezee and error).

Dont forget AGESA 1.2.0.A, you can update it, it get faster in CPU

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes
Ashiaa
Adept I

Same here, I am RMA my graphics card and sending it back. I am going to Nvidia and going for the 4080 honestly so fed up of the crashing

Annoyingly I got my boyfriend the same Graphics card Radeon RX6950 Xt and it works fine...  

Sad loads of people have the same issue. 

0 Likes
sross23
Journeyman III

Having recently had this issue, I removed the curve optimisation and have since experienced much better performance and no crashes

0 Likes
sross23
Journeyman III

My understanding is that undervolting the CPU can cause some instability at low loads such as right after start up and at idle (I have a 7800x3d). Which causes the graphics driver to crash. 

For me specifically, it happened everytime I scrolled on my discord, this would cause my discord to shut down and my Adrenalin software to follow very soon after. Since removing the under volt, touch wood, I haven’t noticed it happen again, and hopefully it stays that way. 

To add to this, I also gained around 10% performance in games by removing the under volt, weirdly enough however, when stress testing I lose score after removing it. 

My undervolt was completely stable to start with, and was thoroughly stress tested, these issues started a few days after, and again, as I stated, for the most part only at low cpu load, however, on occasion, I would get massive stutters at high loads 

0 Likes