cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

qwixt
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: ☠ DOOM ☠ Experiencing Performance Issues? ☠ Bug Report Assistance & Template Here ☠

There is a new driver out now which improves performance for Doom on 390 series of cards.

0 Kudos
john007
Exemplar
Exemplar

Re: ☠ DOOM ☠ Experiencing Performance Issues? ☠ Bug Report Assistance & Template Here ☠

Nvidia probably walked into ID office with a suitcase full of cash and said,,,,, 'You know what to do..'

0 Kudos
alexarg
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hi, just join the forums to bring my concern about the last driver and Doom performance.

I have a shappire 270 vapor x, and the performance problems are as bad as before.

I don't pretend a solid +60fps, because I'm aware about my card limitations, however I do pretend a stable fps. Right now I get 20fps looking in one direction and 60 looking to the other.

I Know that my card can perform better, because sometimes, under certain circumstances, I get better performance in exactly the same spot, I don't know exctly how what I need to do in order to reproduce this behavior, but something is working really bad, from idsoft or AMD side.

By the other hand the fps beetwen the low settings and ultra setings are just like 5-6 fps, and that makes no sense.

Sometimes things start to wotk just fine doing things like this http://imgur.com/a/M0CO1  , other times cleaning the shadder cache in radeon settings. But this is not always reproducible.

I just want to let you/AMD know that there is something working really bad with some AMD users right now, and know if you are aware about that.

For some the last driver made a miracle, for other do nothing.

(excuse my English)

thanks

EDIT:

I add this link describing the exact same issue I'm having

Anyone with good GPU knowledge care to answer?[Really bizarre FPS Drop issue] :: DOOM General Discus...

see post number: 32   Anyone with good GPU knowledge care to answer?[Really bizarre FPS Drop issue] :: DOOM General Discus...

Alexis.-

snakehelah
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hello, I believe my thread over on the steam forums might be of use in fixing a particular issue me and other users of similar GPUs are experiencing. It has to do with the stability of the game when looking at a certain area or shader/particles (most of the times of smoke/vapour, it will be shown and replicated in the thread).

http://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/357286532030931654/

I would like it if the thread were added to the original post, as it contains valuable information about an in game issue/bug/glitch which hasn't been fixed yet and affects more than just a few users. I bought the game with high hopes and was instead handed these issues with no foreseeable fix. It would be best for everyone's interests if this were fixed.

Thank you for your time AMD.

My system specs are :

Radeon HD 7870 CUII Asus edition
8GB RAM
AMD FX-8350
Asrock 970PRO Motherboard

Though I believe the specifications are irrelevant as people with different GPU and other setups have shown that they have the same issue as I do.

0 Kudos
jvisser
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

My card is a 270x. I have the game installed and set to high preset except for shadow which is set to low.

I just updated to the 16.5.2.1 driver. After first start with the new driver I get 50+ fps. Really happy. So I decide to try Ultra to see how it runs: Horrible. I go back to my old settings and the performance stays the same! I reboot the game. Same result. Reboot my pc. Same result. I had the exact same problem with the 16.5.2 driver but thought maybe I had mistaken myself. Now again im in a position where the game is unplayable and no way to fix it (that i know).

Really frustrating!

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos
ugli
Adept I
Adept I

This is a really really strange thing.

No matter what settings I use, if I play on fullscreen OR borderless the fps drops to 30 when there's even a bit action on the screen. An empty hallway gives me solid 60 fps, but when something starts to happen *blam* 30fps.

I noticed that if I run the game on windowed mode, it runs flawlessly. Pretty constant 60fps all the time, no matter how much actions there is on the screen.

I can get a decent fps if I disable all vsync options on crimson and ingame. But then my R9 390 runs nonstop at 100% GPU usage and the fans go very loud and the card runs hot.

While running on windowsed mode, the gpu usage goes between 60-90% and the temps are 10C lower than with vsync off running at 70-120fps.

EDIT: The Hotfix driver fixed this issue.

0 Kudos
jheal915
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

DOOM is using a double buffer for VSYNC instead of triple buffer. So if you drop under 59.9 fps you tank to 30 fps. I have been able to successfully limit frame rate in both fullscreen and windowed/borderless using Rivatuner. I could not get Crimson settings to work at all.

0 Kudos
ugli
Adept I
Adept I

update: The hotfix *didn't* fix the issue. I guess the performance boost just made it that the fps drop happens less frequently. When theres multiple enemies on the screen on wide open areas the fps drops and locks to 30.

With windowed mode, this doesn't happen.

0 Kudos
hacktun3d
Adept II
Adept II

Doom runs beautifully for me, however after the 16.5.2.1 I am now getting random CTD's every 30 minutes or so. on 16.5.2 I could play for hours straight. I have reported this as well. Just giving a heads up.