Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

beanis
Journeyman III

Doom (2016) not launching

Main Problem

Every other game on Steam works completely fine for me, however Doom simply doesn't launch correctly. I've heard of other people dealing with issues relating to Doom, but none are the same as what I'm dealing with. When I run it from Steam or from the desktop shortcut, it opens up a black window, covering the screen. But that's it. Literally nothing happens, like sound. I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue for a while now, and not once has it worked correctly. I'm by no means savvy with PC/graphics settings, but my friends who I would consider to be knowledgeable have not been able to recommend a working solution.

Some things to note about my PC currently:

-Running on adrenalin 20.2.2 (most current version)

-I need to open task manager to actually close the Doom tab

-I believe Doom is currently running on DirectX. As far as I'm aware, I can't run Doom from Vulkan at the moment, because the game won't launch. 

-When the Doom window opens, my taskbar at the bottom changes sizes before the window covers it.

-When Doom is running on my monitor, all resolution of everything seems to go down a notch, even though my monitor is 1440p.

-I've tried launching Doom on every pre-set graphics profile (standard, streaming, gaming) and it changes nothing.

-I've tried a few commands under the "set launch options" section under steam like r_rennderAPI 0 and few others.

-My PC occasionally crashes on startup- the screen doesn't move, my mouse and keyboard give no response. I have to force restart for it to work again.

-I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Doom in a few different places, no change

-My task manager lists Doom as "not responding" and its power consumption is at "very high".

System details

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT

CPU: Ryzen 2600X

Motherboard: ROG Strix B450-F

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2 x 8gb)

PSU: EVGA 500W

Final Thoughts

After all the testing I've done, the only thing I could think of being the problem that I haven't checked yet. I just recently noticed that my GPU box says it needs a 600W PSU, whereas the one I'm using is 500W. If this seems to be the problem, please tell me. As someone who is new to PC gaming, I barely have any idea of what I'm doing here, so I won't be offended if you have to make a type of "Hey idiot, have you tried pushing the power button?" type of response. This post is kind of like my last troubleshooting attempt before I resort to buying and testing with different PC components.

0 Likes
1 Solution
zehavi
Journeyman III

Hey not sure if you figured this out, but I had the exact same issue (opened up Doom 2016 and just got a black screen and an immediate Not Responding in task manager) and may have found your solution. I tried everything people suggested until I found one person say you may need to update Microsoft Visual C++ (this is the download I used: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads). After updating this and restarting, I had everything set to normal (latest graphics driver, no steam launch options, overlay on, etc) and (as I was expecting) it booted up to a black screen but to my surprise after maybe 10 seconds my pointer appeared and suddenly I saw the bethesda logo and it booted!

And just for reference, I use nvidia drivers but had the exact same issue so I really hope this works for you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
zehavi
Journeyman III

Hey not sure if you figured this out, but I had the exact same issue (opened up Doom 2016 and just got a black screen and an immediate Not Responding in task manager) and may have found your solution. I tried everything people suggested until I found one person say you may need to update Microsoft Visual C++ (this is the download I used: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads). After updating this and restarting, I had everything set to normal (latest graphics driver, no steam launch options, overlay on, etc) and (as I was expecting) it booted up to a black screen but to my surprise after maybe 10 seconds my pointer appeared and suddenly I saw the bethesda logo and it booted!

And just for reference, I use nvidia drivers but had the exact same issue so I really hope this works for you.

Yeah, turns out this was my problem. I fixed that issue and the game works now! Thanks a ton!

0 Likes

Thanks zehavi, after 4 years I can finally run Doom with Vulkan.

0 Likes