cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

aranorde
Journeyman III

Does Windows10 install AMD "Motherboard" Chipset Drivers?

I'm new to these, so please read through this! I might actually misunderstand certain things, still learning (Apologies).
A while back I had a confusion about what these "Chipset Drivers" are, I posted this on r/AMD since I own a Ryzen 5 1500x on a B450M board, i wasn't exactly sure on what they do or they are important or not.
I learned that getting it from AMD is the best option, but I've also noted that people mention that Windows 10 automatically downloads and installs it. Note that I'm talking about the "motherboard chipset drivers" and not the CPU drivers.
Questions,
  1. Upon selecting my Chipset and Socket type I get this Chipset driver for my motherboard B450M. But my question is that Windows 10 actually installs this or not? Any help on this is appreciated!
  2. Also, What is this Windows 10 1903 May Update Ryzen power plan I keep hearing about? I have 1909, am I good or I need to manually update anything?
My specs :
  • CPU : Ryzen 5 1500x
  • Motherboard : MSI B450M PRO M2 MAX
  • GPU : Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC 4GB GDDR6
  • SSD : OS - 120 GB Corsair Force LE200 / Games - TeamGroup GX2 1TB
  • RAM : TeamGroup T-Force Vulcan 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
2 Replies

Windows has chipset support built-in and windows update has more drivers that are downloaded as needed

0 Likes
bearcat22
Miniboss

It's always best to get your mainboard drivers from the mainboard manufacturer, not from Microsoft. I usually try to install my mainboard drivers with a clean install of Windows. You should never let Windows do hardware updates. Especially Windows 10. And that is one of the big problems with it. It forces you to update. It's why Windows 10 is garbage.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-PRO-M2-MAX#down-driver&Win10%2064

0 Likes