cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

viidoa
Journeyman III

Does the AMD VII support the X58 Intel chipset?

X58, circa 2010. BIOS, no UEFI, PCIe v2 slots.

My VII shows BIOS and POST but posts a black screen before entering either Windows or Linux's GRUB (and, on Linux, I'm on the 4.20 kernel with the vega20 firmwares in my /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ and have the xf86-video-amdgpu package installed).

I'm wondering whether the card's DOA (but why would it work in BIOS?) or my chipset's too old (although cards as new as the Nvidia 1080 Ti work with it, for what it's worth).

0 Likes
6 Replies

I found a Gigabyte X58, I7-920, system here in the office. My Radeon VII does boot into Ubuntu 16.04 Linux desktop with this Legacy only system. I see grub and Linux kernel msgs as the system boots.

Mind you, I use a reference/internal VBIOS on my card.

this system booted with same OS drive with a different card?

Wow, thanks for the research!

>this system booted with same OS drive with a different card?

Yep. I'm using it right now with a 1080 Ti. It seems like this would indicate either:

- the VII doesn't work with my particular X58 chipset (unlikely...?)

- the VII is busted

But, if it was busted, wouldn't it be strange for it to render the BIOS okay? It actually renders it in even sharper resolution than the 1080 Ti, although the framerate seems choppier.

0 Likes

I'm not sure past that, however I would suggest trying the card in another system to be sure it is functional. Perhaps also try to boot with it as a secondary adapter, check GPUz to ensure it reads the specs correctly.

0 Likes
cryblood
Adept I

So I had a Radeon 7 working on x58 for about a day, however once I went to reinstall drivers the system Blue screened and now REFUSES to use the Radeon 7 without instant bluescreens if preinstalled with my RX480  (WHICH WORKS) or a bluescreen if installed with the card.       

This BSOD bricked my X5675 even though it was pretty much at stock settings for updating drivers! I replaced it with a X5660, bluescreen problem still persists however, tried every PCIE slot including 1x off a riser, no dice.

0 Likes

What OS? There should be no issue with Win7....Win10 issues. I have the x58 board and was never able to get Win10 working....Microsoft finally told me it's too old and not supported and to expect problems.

0 Likes

yeah windows 10, it worked like a charm until i reinstalled the driver.

0 Likes