cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Does anyone own a PowerColor Red Dragon RX Vega 56. What is your experience with the card?

Hi,

Does anyone own a PowerColor Red Dragon RX Vega 56. What is your experience with the card?
They seem to be the only 2 slot high RX Vega card I can get today with a non reference cooler at a reasonable price.
In addition they have a small R9 Nano sized PCB and could make for a very good, small, watercooled gpu if I decided to fit a waterblock once the GPU guarantee is void.

I am thinking of buying one to mount in a PowerColor Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Box

Unfortunately PowerColor's own Red Devil  Vega 64 is too big and too power hungry to work with their own eGPU box.

All Vega 64 AIB cards are too big and too power hungry to fit in any reasonably priced thunderbolt 3.0 eGPU boxes I have seen so far.
Razer Core X might be an exception.

If anyone has purchased and run an RX Vega 56 Red Dragon, please let me know what you think of the card.

I had thought they were EOL'ed but it seems they are back on resale now.
If anyone thinks I should wait to see what Nvidia RTX cards are launched tomorrow (20 August) then sure I understand that.
However I do need to keep at least 1 modern AMD GPU running in the meantime.
I do not see any news of  AMD RX Vega GPU 7nm refresh for gamers/consumers this year, so I might just purchase one PowerColor  RX Vega 56 Red Dragon GPU.

Thanks.

0 Likes
7 Replies
julienpons
Journeyman III

Hi,

I know your message is from August, but just in case here is my 2 cents.

I own the "Red Devil" Vega 64 version of this card. It's 2.7 slots card, that won't fit in most of the eGPU enclosure except Razer Core X which is 3 slots.

Even in my ATX case the card sort of lean on the right due to its own weight!

The card pulls 230W at full load with standard non OC bios, measured from GPU-Z, so again there should be no problem with the Razer Core X with its 650W PSU.
If you don't mind the noise, it's possible to get 15% more performance with OC, fans 2500rpm, a slight undervolt and a higher power limit (in  Wattman).

I suppose Vega 56 should be even easier as its power consumption is lower than 64.

0 Likes

Hi.

Thanks for the information.
I will look at the Razer Core X box.
RE: Even in my ATX case the card sort of lean on the right due to its own weight! - yes not surprised.
You should probably get a support bracket for it. 

Bye.

0 Likes

0 Likes

I bought one...

0 Likes
douglj777
Journeyman III

I have a big question does anyone know where to find the working Mac OS drivers for the Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56 GPU? 

0 Likes

Do you need the drivers for an eGPU over thunderbolt 3 enclosure?

0 Likes

0 Likes