cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

m105
Adept II

Does anyone have it: After Adrenalin 2020 update, some games will crash your graphics driver (screen flicker > crash) and you need to restart

So after i updated to the latest driver version (win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-19.12.2-dec12.exe), some games will make my screen flicker a few times and then the graphics driver crash in such a way that Windows will load the Basics graphics driver. That means you will need to restart your PC, since the Device Manager will show an error code for your GPU.

What happens:

1) At any random moment, often shortly after launching the game, screen will start to flicker (black and back to your screen output, so forth, so forth).

2) Depending on how bad the case is (in my experience, varies per game that is affected) your GPU driver may either crash as seen in below screenshot ("Display driver failed to start", AMD driver crashed mid-game so Windows falls back on it)

dp.png

.. or the flickering lasts a while and you can continue, albeit, in some games, the visuals will look pixelated and low-resolution if your driver doesn't forcibly crash. This state is one where if you close the game, your AMD driver will still be loaded and there is no need to restart your PC entirely to make use of it again.

Note: if your entire driver crashes per this issue, a bunch of WER error reports will be generated of independent AMD-related or reliant processes, in the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive (or ReportQueue, if checked too early) it will look like this:

wer1.png

This can explain why some people are complaining about related things (like RadeonSoftware.exe or interface crash): it's a side-effect of the graphics driver (momuntarily or entirely) crashing. Because applications that rely on the driver to be properly loaded, may crash when it fails: just like dwm.exe presumably does, as seen in my screenshot above. It has no "render target" (or valid output device) when the driver crashes and before the Basic driver is loaded, causing it to crash. So that's trivial, the main problem is that the AMD graphics driver crashes, causing other effects.

Note: Kernel_187 crash is, once i opened the report file, due to 0x187_dxgkrnl!DxgCreateLiveDumpWithWdLogs so the DirectX kernel may also fail as a result of the graphics driver crashing, causing this "kernel" crash as yet another side effect.

I will attach a .zip with the contents of my entire WER error report folder, right after triggering the crash by launching a DX9 game. Might be useful if AMD developers read this (yes, I will also use the issue report form and refer them here).

So now from the technical stuff, back to the main subject:

Does anyone else experience this problem with flickering, for your graphics driver then to crash or be 'handicapped' as long said game runs (pixellated, as in my example)? So that you need to restart your PC to stop using the Basic driver (that you can do nearly nothing with, and lags) and load your AMD graphics driver again?

In my experience, so far, it happened only with DirectX 9 games.

Examples:

1) GTA: San Andreas: can either flicker and be pixellated for that playing session, or crash the entire driver (unload it).

2) MTA: San Andreas (MP): cannot play, it will always crash the entire driver (unload it), most often in the main menu.

For reference, my GPU is Radeon R9 290 (in case not everyone is affected).

I should be able to play DX9 games, and that is not possible after installing the new driver, so I will probably end up downgrading for now unless a quick fix will be available.

Note: i heard others say this happened to them in more recent game titles.

Remark: either when the flickering starts, or in the last frame of the final flicker, the pop-up that tells you the key combination to open Radeon in-game will show up. It's far too coincidental, I think that the new driver drawing this overlay bubble into DX9 games may be causing the crash problem. I tried disabling every aspect of the overlay, globally and in per-game settings, so that Adrenalin 2020 is supposed not to show me this hotkey recommendation in-game, but it still does and it didn't help to stop the driver crashing issue. In fact, it's doing so despite explicit request not to do so (in the settings). This information can be useful to AMD developers looking to see what triggers the problem. Because I cannot turn this pop-up off, it's not possible to confirm this is the cause. Therefore, downgrading my driver is still the only option until a fix is available.

53 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: Does anyone have it: After Adrenalin 2020 update, some games will crash your graphics driver (screen flicker > crash) and you need to restart

Do you think increasing the timeout detection would help?

https://community.amd.com/thread/180166 

0 Kudos
m105
Adept II

Re: Does anyone have it: After Adrenalin 2020 update, some games will crash your graphics driver (screen flicker > crash) and you need to restart

Thanks for suggesting this, but it doesn't help. After performing the 'TDR fix' it worked once, and then started flickering (to crash the entire graphics driver after that) again when re-launching the game.

I would like to empathize that it works fine with the latest non-Adrenalin 2020 version (e.g Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.12.1) and that for anyone that is affected for any reason related to their configuration or games they play, it is thus really a bug introduced by Adrenalin 2020.

I will run some tests with doing a couple of things differently (like I am currently using 144hz display) to see if i can pinpoint the issue, and come back here. Thanks

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

I have a 290X...but on Win 7. For a few more days...I guess. Anyhow, I installed the drivers with no issues...however I could not find the settings that I use and do not like having to declare I am going to use the computer for gaming, etc. Most of the time that means "optimizations'. I tried one game COD MW and it was not pretty.Probably because I couldn't find specific settings in the control panel...some were eliminated. There is no benefit for me...I use the previous version.

0 Kudos
bozbay75
Adept I

aynen eski sürüme dön

0 Kudos
m105
Adept II

Ok, so i found out that it can happen on other, non-DX9 games as well (like PUBG) and I am tired of not being able to play games without getting surprised by a driver crash.

So i will be rolling back to Adrenalin 2019 definitively. Therefore, I won't be testing anything for the while being. Issue report will be sent based on this topic, hoping they will take it seriously and you won't see me back on Adrenalin 2020 until I read about an update with promising patch notes like that it's fixed.

The last thing I tested was performing a full reset from within the interface, and then selecting the "Standard" profile, not Gaming or customizing anything, yet it wasn't solved.

Now that i reproduced a driver crash while running PUBG (DirectX 11), i saved a new Windows Error Reporting directory filled with the same kind of entries like i mentioned earlier. This time, i also enabled crash dump generation (attached dumps for the processes with AppCrash in WER folders - crashing as a result, or part of, the issue) and their trace, these could help AMD developers to understand what's going on.

See below the;

WER reports attachment

Crash dump files (also found in WER reports attachment)

MSINFO32 log file, to get a good picture of my hardware (besides having an R9 290 GPU) and environment

For instance, let me show you a preview of the attached information.. the output of tracing the dwm.exe crash: 

https://pastebin.com/5rzrcHEa

This may not make sense in a technical perspective (relating to the Adrenalin 2020 driver bug's nature), because as I described earlier, it might be an indirect consequence of the graphics driver crashing entirely, after which DWM will no longer have a valid output device and may crash. I am not entirely sure though, it could be key in the reason why the ATI graphics driver crashes and unloads itself, who knows. The output file is just 1 of the package of files and information that I attached below. I am going to refer to this topic while making an AMD issue report, more information can be contained here as well.

So yeah, I will downgrade now and wait to see what happens. It might be Adios, Adrenalin 2020. Not stable enough for daily use yet. I read a lot of other complaints on the internet as well.

xbabybelx
Adept I

I just noticed some graphical artifacts in some games Rainbow Six for example in fullscreen while moving with the mouse around ONLY at lobby actual gaming It doesn't. 

RX 5700 XT Evoke even at factory settings. Previous driver 19.12.1 everything is working like a charm

0 Kudos
darkradeon
Adept III

Same issue with my R9 380X. Every DX11 game or application crashes due driver fail after a couple of minutes if in fullscreen. If freesync is enable, it happens immediately. Looks like something related to dxgi swap chain present to DWM for me...

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-12-12T20:49:02.263520800Z" />
<EventRecordID>64406</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-ALESSIO</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>dwm.exe</Data>
<Data>10.0.18362.387</Data>
<Data>8e064b77</Data>
<Data>d3d11.dll</Data>
<Data>10.0.18362.387</Data>
<Data>7e72d1cb</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>00000000000489e4</Data>
<Data>1d6c</Data>
<Data>01d5b12d954c2f2c</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\system32\dwm.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\system32\d3d11.dll</Data>
<Data>62808b11-eef2-4861-9ef6-83c92f1fd73f</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>
m105
Adept II

kingfish‌ do you have any idea why my most recent post is not visible publicly, and after all that time still "Currently being moderated"..?

It's my largest post, and wasting time or not being taken seriously is the last thing I want to do here.

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

How long ago did you post it? Sometimes on the weekend it takes a little longer....

0 Kudos