cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

elgeorge
Adept I

Do you think drivers will be stable soon?

Hey guys, I currently own a 5700 xt nitro´+ with a rizen 5 3600, and a b450 mobo. I have had many issues in the past month with bsod and crashes, after many trials to fix it(bios updates, chipsets updates, lowering ram freq, trying different gpu drivers versions, trying different vbios of my gpu) I feel my pc almost stable since sometimes I have days without crashing and suddenly the problem comebacks.

Today I thought about rma my gpu and change it for a 2070 super(which means some $$$ and maybe some weeks since I purchased my card from a store from another city), but I am not sure if I should do it, since I've seen how much it changes from one gpu drivers version to another and I still have hope that it will stabilize

What do you guys think?

49 Replies
macxd
Adept I

Re: Do you think drivers will be stable soon?

why would he try and enterprise driver? 

To the OP all i can say is this, i got my 5700 xt reference in dec 2019 and it has been a rollercoaster of "yes things are fixed" to "well they have broken their crap again"  and now with the latest 20.7.1 and 20.7.2 drivers my vram speed has gone back to running between 1000-1250mhz only occasionally boosting to 1750mhz, no matter what load is. So no, i don't think AMD has it in them to actually ever reach the driver level quality of nvidia. Whatever the secret sauce is for being able to develop and release consistent high quality GPU drivers AMD does not have that.

If it doesn't hurt financially i would recommend switching back to nvidia, they maybe complete corporate garbage, but at least their drivers works consistently. And when big navi does finally launch AMD will be spending less time and resources on 5xxx series. Because they are going to need to make sure big navi looks and works as expected. 

elgeorge
Adept I

Hey man, thanks for your reply, I actually sent my card back yesterday and todays is going to be checked. Seems like I will be switching to the green side.

colesdav
MVP

Need your system details and need to know what PSU you have.
Assuming you have run DRAM stability checks and you are not overclocking CPU or DRAM and PSU is good enough.
Then enough is enough.
Send the GPU back to the seller.
Get a refund.

Buy something that works.

vulcan
Adept I

Also, I got AMD with its crooked drivers - either the profile does not hold, then something else. 580 will be the last card from amd for me.

0 Likes
hucker
Adept II

How do you know it's the graphics card or driver that's faulty?  BSOD is usually faulty system RAM, download Memtest and check it.  I've used AMD graphics cards all my life and have never had a crash attributed to one.

0 Likes
macxd
Adept I

Look after the the release of the 5700 series i was very happy i would be able to upgrade from my 1060 and not give my money to nvidia again. So i waited and watched the release, and when i could i bought my 5700 xt reference and it was rough at first, so many games would black screen or run poorly. But i stuck it out and starting with the first 20xxx series of drivers things started to really turn around. But since January in has be up and down with their drivers quality. I am not a AMD or nvidia fanboy i am what works best fanboy. Just like i ditched my i3 6100 for my 1500x and a year later i upgraded to my 2600, and will be going to a 3600 when i can. And if AMD can't get their drivers under control, then when its feasible i will have to suck it up and go back to nvidia. 

0 Likes
hucker
Adept II

So are the drivers rubbish for some cards and not others?  I thought it was all the same driver.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

The AMD driver installer and drivers themselves have been on a downhill path compared to Nvidia since 17.7.2. Driver Pre Vega launch.
Windows 8.1 support just dropped on everything.
Cards like HD7970 (Drivers would not even install for me for ~ 1 year and I even ripped the GPU apart only to find it was an installer issue in the first place).
R9 390X (No Fan Control at all to this day).
R9 Fury X - HBM overclocking disabled deliberatley pre Vega 56/64 launch. Blackscreening and Audio Buzz. No driver optimation at all to the extent they now perform woese than an RX580 4GB in some games.
Vega 56/64 Blackscreening and Audio Buzz, Relive Broken, many issues with Wattman. To be fair I did file reports on many issues for Vega and most are currently fixed.
RX590 cannot complete Blender testcases.
RX5700XT stability, blackscreening etc. RX5700XT cannot complete Blender Testcases. No support in ROCm for RX5700XT yet.
Linux support is bad. STILL NO AMD GUI/UI in Ubuntu. 
Installer issues still persist - DDU still needed and you still need to disconnect from the internet.
Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 will not install for me on Windows 10 19.09 build with latest updates.
Adrenalin 2020 DX11 Crossfire and DX12 MultiGPU completely dropped and not working properly at all. 
FRTC dropped.
Chill broken to this day.

Chill Hotkeys broken.
The Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI UI was one place where AMD were doing really well and then they canned it for Adrenalin 2020 nightmare.

That is just a quick list off the top of my head.

colesdav
MVP

Oh yeah - Enhanced Sync has never worked for me on anything.
Turn it off.