cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

colesdav
MVP

Re: Do you like the new interface of Adrenalin 2020 Edition?

Automatic GPU Overclocking - is it working at all? 
Usually it crashes my PC on RX Vega 56 or 64 Liquid.
Last time I dared to try it managed to hose my Windows 10 OS and I had to do a complete reinstall. 
Since I backed up my OS drive (cloned it) before even daring to try AMD Auto Overclocking in Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2 I may as well show the results with the PowerColor Vega 56 Red Dragon: 

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

Wow looks great it didn't crash the PC and it appears to have worked. 

It even says so: 
pastedImage_4.png

But what happens when I switch to manual? 

pastedImage_5.png

Where has that Automatic overclock gone if it even worked at all? 

colesdav
MVP

Here is another example trying to overclock the GPU followed by Overclock the VRAM - doesn't seem an unreasonable thing to do ... 
Starting with a "completed GPU Overclock" 

pastedImage_1.png 
I then try to overclock the VRAM: 

pastedImage_2.png

But ... look at this now: 

pastedImage_3.png

This seems to indicate the GPU is not overclocked but the VRAM is. 

looking at the new "Wattman" when I switch to manual: 

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

My only conclusion as to why the PowerColor Vega 56 Red Dragon and my PC did not crash is the Auto Overclock is not applying anything at all. 

colesdav
MVP

I will file AMD Reporting forms on all of the above problems at a later date. 
I have had enough of Adrenalin 2020 for one day. 
Why they move from the previous good looking and easy to use Adrenalin ReLive 2019 Driver GUI/UI is to produce an new version of Raptr AMD Gaming Evolved is beyond belief. 

colesdav
MVP

I ran BF1 with the "1670" automatic GPU overclock and monitored the GPU SCLK. 
It does not get above 1580MHz. 

Therefore my conclusion is that the reason Auto Overclocking does not crash my Vega 56 and PC is that it is a placebo button to make you feel good. 

colesdav
MVP

I took a look at the new Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2 GUI on Tom Clancy The Division 2.

colesdav
MVP

Observations.  
1. The Radeon Overlay will not work at all. Alt+Z and ALT+R do nothing. I have to Alt Tab out to desktop and constantly restart Radeon Settings. 
2. Setting Global Chill_min and Global Chill_max = 30 or 60 or whatever with Game Chill off and then launching the game. Global Chill FPS is not honoured at all. Does it do anything? What is Global Chill supposed to do? 
3. Setting Local  Chill_min and Global Chill_max = 30 or 60 or whatever is honoured. So setting the Local Chill_Min = Chill_Max is a way to set a frame rate limit. 

4. Setting Chill_Min = 30 (to save max power when stationary) and setting Chill_Max = 300 Below is the max frame rate I see when running with Shift + W held down. 

A massive Keyboard only input FPS of 54 FPS. 
This is the usual complaint I have about Chill. 

It kills keyboard only input FPS performance if you actually want to save any significant amount of power. 

pastedImage_1.png

If I hold down shift and rapidly tap W so I run like a "chicken walk" lets call it the "Chill Chicken Walk" I manage to push that FPS up to a massive 70 FPS: 

pastedImage_2.png

Unlike BF1 DX12, holding down Shift and W and rapidly moving the mouse does NOT increase the frame rate at all. It is stuck at 54 FPS. 
So this is inconsistent behavior versus Chill on BF1 DX12 where Shift + W + rapid move mouse mouse causes frame rate to shoot up towards Chill_Max = 300. In that case Global FRTC is needed to limit FPS. 

With Game Chill Off Completely I see the following FPS with Shift and W held down. That's 105 FPS. 
pastedImage_3.png

So in conclusion as usual. 

Chill_Max does not = a frame rate limit.  

Chill_Max is a scaling factor to increase FPS based on Chill_Min and keyboard activity.

What I would like to see is set Chill_min to 30 and save as much power as possible when stationary. 
Note if game character is stationary and I use mouse button to look down a scope that will ramp up the frame rate as much as if I run. 
So I would like that situation handled properly. 
I would like to be able to set Chill_Max as a frame rate target. 
However it does not provide that function at all unless Chill_Min=Chill_Max

In the above case which is typical as expected wrong broken behaviour I have to set Chill_Max = 300 just to achieve a frame rate of 54 FPS. 
Most game review sites claim less than 60 FPS is unacceptable. 
The Frame Rate should be able to hit 105 FPS if Chill_Max were an actual frame rate limit.

This is a clear example of where Chill seriously impacts game performance, versus what AMD advertise.
That's  dropping FPS from 105-> 54  that's over 51%. 
I want Chill to drop FPS as much as possible to save power when stationary but I want full FPS performance when moving. 

colesdav
MVP

Please add ability to assign any single keyboard key as the chill hotkey. 
Currently have to use Function key or Alt+key or Shift+Key or Ctrl+key.

pastedImage_2.png

Those options are not erconomic or convienient for me although I have settled for Alt+W as the Chill toggle key for now. 
I use Chill to cool down RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU in game when it overheats to avoid crashing.
I hit Alt+W, hide, look at the ground and observe GPU temp dropping. 
Once the GPU cools down I hit Alt+W to turn Chill off and play at normal FPS.
I would prefer to just leave Chill on but as seen above, the FPS performance drop when moving is too high. 

colesdav
MVP

I only see a global option for Boost on Tom Clancy's The Division 2
I do not know if there is supposed to be a Game Boost Option.- I do not think there is. 
In any case. 

Settiing this: 
pastedImage_1.png
and running Tom Clancy's The Division 2 does nothing at all. 

colesdav
MVP

Correction ... running Tom Clancy's The Division 2 does nothing at all. 

Boost is not working on it.

pedro-nf
Adept III

Aren't Win 8/8.1 drivers closer to Win 10 than Win 7? Not really sure. If you have the time, give it a try anyways.

0 Kudos