cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

markiemarcus
Adept III

Re: Do you like the new interface of Adrenalin 2020 Edition?

It's a mess IMO. I can't find anything. Settings like Freesync and VSR are buried in a "global display settings" button, under the Gaming tab, and when you load that it brings up an entirely new selection of tabs that should've been front and centre from the outset. 

Mind-bogglingly stupid design.

colesdav
MVP

I just tried to use Adrenalin 2020 20.5.1 GUI /UI. 
I have been using Hybrid Driver install of Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 + using Windows Device Manager to install 20.5.1 driver.
Been refusing to use it at all for some time but I had to test the driver and check it.

Based on what I see, nothing is improved since my earlier testing. 
That Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI has a mind of its own w.r.t. what gets displayed in Wattman and if the settings get reset if you move to another GUI TAB.
Crossfire / MultiGPU options are still Missing/Broken.
Presets are broken.
The lack of GUI Ergonomic design and thought of button placement consistently make it an absolute pain and effort to navigate.
Still cannot turn off Game Advisor.
Still no Global FRTC.
To top it off, the Report Issue Online opens up in the built in browser and I was unable to open reporting form selection tabs.

This Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI is a total shambles.

I did see this though:

pastedImage_1.png

I am hoping that "Minimal Software Install" means Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI + latest 20.6.1 Drivers is the default and that Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI is either binned or put back to Beta Testing.

colesdav
MVP

I ticked Fan Control Improvements.

Some working fan control for my formerly top of the range XFX R9 390X 8GB OC Black Edition would be nice for once.
The GPU just sits with zero fan rpm until it overheats and the emergency max fan speed kicks in if I leave it on automatic.

If I switch the fan control to manual, which I have to, the rpm reported as set by the GUI does not match the RPM of the GPU fans.

There seems to be some "hysteresis" in the fan control setting.

Even on manual control I have very difficult time to set fan speed on that GPU and it has a limited actual r.p.m. range from maximum.

This automatic fan control issue means I cannot use Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise drivers with the R9 390X for Blender MultiGPU, if i also run a Radeon Pro GPU such as a Radeon ProDuo (Fiji) on the same system.

When a Radeon Pro GPU is detected, Watmann control is disabled for all GPUs on the system. The Wattman controls are removed.

0 Likes
hopkins
Adept II

As much as I hate to say it but Nvidia's control panel just works. Sometimes less is more, a much barebone, simplified designed can be more beneficial.

By the way is this Radeon Boost feature a good one? Does it work well?

0 Likes
bobpi
Adept II

But when using Radeon Pro drivers with non pro cards, wattman is there. I could not stand the new interface so I installed Radeon Pro drivers and I mainly do regular computing with Home Theater PC on my TV and AV receiver and just a little Minecraft mainly.

I still have a problem of my 6th "monitor" blanking out like I have too many monitors on one card but I have 2 on each card because 5 of then are 27" 2K monitors and one is a 65" 4K LG Oled glass TV So I need the bandwidth. The 6th one gets its video sometimes on a whim but goes out again on a reboot. That monitor is seen as active in windows 7 and the pointer disappears through it. It also stays active like it has a black screen signal. All 3 video cards (XT5500XT,RX580,RX580) are shown as connected as PCIe 2.0 X8 (GA-990FX-UD7 motherboard since i will not run windows 10 hence nor ryzen). I have had this problem for a while now through older cards and driver versions.

colesdav
MVP

RE: But when using Radeon Pro drivers with non pro cards, Wattman is there. 
Yes I agree that is the case. The ability to install the Radeon Pro Drivers for non Pro cards is good in general.

Radeon Pro cards do not currently have Wattman and even fan control was a recent addition for them.
Not a good idea to overclock a Pro card, although there are situations where you may want to lower GPU and MEM Clocks.
Fan Control to increase fan speed would be nice.

My workaround is to fit the Radeon Pro DUO on an external NVMe-PCIe3.0x4 ADT-Link Adapter and run it from a separate PSU so I can disable the NVMe slot in PC Bios and just turn off power to it when I do not want to use it. Then on boot up I get the normal Red Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 style interface with Wattman and the Radeon Pro Drivers.

If I enable the NVMe slot in BIOS and turn on power to the Radeon Pro DUO GPU pre-boot then I get the Blue Radeon Pro interface and drivers w/o Wattman.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

I tested Radeon Boost earlier in this thread. You can see some examples.
It "works" in the sense that it drops resolution to boost FPS when running in game or moving mouse rapidly on the few games it supports.
Some can find the resolution drop viually annoying / headache territory in the case where the character is running forward.
Rapid rotation is not such a problem since it is often a blur anyhow. 

Radeon Boost is unbalanced though as the FPS is not clamped to the value you get with character stationary.
In other words FPS ramps up to very high values with  mouse movement, or sometimes when running / turning.

If you game with Vsync off and FreeSync on that = Screen tear if the FPS > FreeSync Range of the monitor.
That problem could be soved/reduced by having Global FRTC control.
But that was removed in the Adrenalin 20920 Driver and tied to Chill_Max.
You cannot use Chill with Chill_Min = Chill_Max as Global FRTC in this case.
Turning Boost on will turn Chill off. They cannot be run at the same time.

I keep getting told we do not need Global FRTC slider back.
This is one case where you do.

0 Likes
bobpi
Adept II

Yes, I am glad I can finally do that since the current AMD graphic software and drivers are such an abortion and uncalled for from a major company like AMD.

I am a programmer from way back when but it still galls me when a programmer decides they know better than the end user. When I used to program I had improvements because we made software to the user's needs not our own. This current batch of programmers seems to have forgotten that and are ruining the reputation of much better silicon.

I know Radeon Pro cards are at their limit but as you say, adjusting them for underclocking and faster fan speeds for custom situations would be nice.

Quite a workaround you had to do. Too bad it is harder to tweak the BIOS now too so that is not an option anymore.  Way too many things are getting too automatic for me. I am going to stick with Windows 7 on an AM3+ platform until I can see a path that lets me control things better and I can see an affordable tier since I am 8/4 cores already. It sucks I have a blank 6th monitor right now but I have been ignored here so far but I have seen others with the same problem going back years so I am thinking it is a software resource bug since most have 3 monitors max.

0 Likes
bobpi
Adept II

>I keep getting told we do not need Global FRTC slider back.
>This is one case where you do.

Is there anyone in AMD with any common sense who will listen and the position to do something about it? It is good that AMD has all of that great silicon but it will fall by the wayside without proper support. Just look at the Amiga/Motorola CPU era. I loved the days of DMA without interrupt semaphores and other hardware innovations. Will better silicon be lost here? The best engineering does not always succeed and we are worse for it.

colesdav
MVP

RE: Is there anyone in AMD with any common sense who will listen and the position to do something about it?
No.

I have been asking for improvements to Radeon Chill for over 3 years.
Radeon Chill is great technology but the way it is implemented is killing Keyboard Only Input FPS and also there are changes that could be done w.r.t. mouse movement that would save lots of power but still allow the user to achieve high Peak FPS when they need it.
They could have implemented those fixes on RX Vega 56/64 GPUs and made the cards far more competitive than they are or were seen.
No one listens.

0 Likes