cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

akeeller
Adept II

Do you like the new interface of Adrenalin 2020 Edition?

Do you like the new interface of Adrenalin 2020 Edition?
Personally yes, but not too much. I like the idea and the single elements of the interface, but overall it’s quite a mess. Everything should be reorganized a little bit.

456 Replies

I tried again.
If I leave the window like above for ~ 5 - 10 minutes it eventually responds.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Wht are the Radeon Overlay buttons like this:

pastedImage_1.png

Yet when the GUI is opened the same buttons are now two separate buttons like this, taking up large amout of space in the GUI for no reason at all:

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

As a test case - BFV 4K Ultra, Game Frame Rate Limiter set to 120. DX12 and DX11 tested.

Adrenalin 2020 20.1.3 I can no longer use Chill_Min = 30, Chill_Max = 300 to achieve keyboard only input FPS of 55 and play the game without the GPU crashing because the Frame Rate in Chill is no longer clamped to CHILL_MIN or by a separate Global FRTC Limit which has now been removed but you now tie it to Chill_Max. This happens in both DX11 and DX12.

If I use use Chill_Min = 30, Chill_Max = 59 to achieve keyboard only input FPS of 59 I only see keyboard only input FPS of 59. Rapid mouse movement is tied to Global FRTC. 

Here are some screenshots of what happens now. 

DX11 test: 

pastedImage_1.png

Rapid mouse movement locked to 59 FPS:

pastedImage_2.png

No input - 30 FPS:

pastedImage_3.png

Keyboard only Input. W held down. Walking - 40 FPS.

pastedImage_4.png

Shift + W held down Running - 40 FPS.
pastedImage_5.png

Settings used:
pastedImage_6.png

0 Likes

Correction - Frame Rate Limiter set to 200 will edit when I can.
I keep having to type fast and post quickly before I get logged out and I have no time to edit anything.

0 Likes

DX11 Anvanced video settings used:
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

BFV DX12 test settings chanded to turn DX12 on:
pastedImage_1.png

I see the same results as above for DX11 with Chill_Min = 30, Chill_Max = 59. I see same low 40 FPS keynoard only input and I see that rapid mouse movement is no longer clamped to Chill_Min and I see that Rapid mouse movement is only clamped by Global FRTC = 59.

0 Likes

I need to set Chill_Min = 30, Chill_Max = 300 to get a keyboard only input FPS of 55:

pastedImage_1.png

DX12:

Keyboard only Input. W held down. Walking - 55 FPS.

pastedImage_2.png

Keyboard only Input. Shift + W held down Running - 55 FPS.
pastedImage_3.png

Rapid mouse movement no longer clamped to Chill_Min: It goes as high as 85 FPS - this screen capture caught it at 85 FPS.
pastedImage_5.png

Because Global FRTC is clocked to Chill_Max and I need to set Chill_Max to 300, the GPU burns too much power and it overheats.
I get Blue Green Flashing follows by a GPU and PC Black screen, audio buzz and crash.

Here is an example of the screen corruption I see before crash:
pastedImage_6.png

Now - in thius case I have set the Frame Rate Limiter for the game at 200 because I want to test how Chill works and this is a general case.
BFV does have Frame Rate Limiter options of Monitor Refresh Rate, 60, 120, 144, 200. 
Not all games do.

Turning on Enanced Sync with Vsync on when the GPU is low temp in DX12 is freezing the PC.
Vsync on is not an option.

0 Likes

Final of Testing BFV DX12 Ultra with Frame Rate Limiter set to 60 with Chill_Min 30, Chill_Max 300, VSync off in game.

Rapid mouse movement is not clamped to Chill_Min = 30 any more. 
Rapid mouse movement or  or just using the mouse normally is enough to push up the average Frame Rate to a point where the GPU Temps are higher.
This causes the Green / Blue rectangles to occur frequently when playing the game. Much worse than in Adrenalin 19.12.1 where rapid mouse movement was clamped to Chill_Min.
Turning on Enhanced Sync is either completely freezing the game or the game and the PC lock up requiring a reset button.
Leaving Enhanced Sync off and VSync off and relying on the game Frame Rate Limiter at 60 FPS or at "Monitor ReFresh Rate" is not enough to avoid screen tearing. The screen tearing is very bad, even though I have FreeSync on.
I tried changing the monitor display frequency to 59Hz and 60Hz and nothing makes a difference.
Using ALT+R or ALT+Z mostly works although sometimes it just freezes the game / and or the PC even though the GPU is starting from low temp.

In Adrenalin 19.12.1 rapid mouse movement was clamped to Chill_Min and I had Global FRTC to limit Peak FPS to < Monitor Refresh rate in cases where it does not, avoiding screen tearing.

Lack of Global FRTC in Adrenalin 2020  20.1.3 means that I am getting screen tearing.
Setting Global FRTC to 1 (59 FPS) or maybe 2 (58 FPS) below monitor refresh rate should fix that.
Or maybe FreeSync is plain broken in Adrenalin 2020 20.1.3 for my GPU.

0 Likes

Installing RivaTuner Statistics Server, and setting it to 59 FPS stops the screen tearing when running BFV DX12 4K Ultra with Frame Rate Limiter at 60 and Chill_Min = 60, Chill_Max = 300. 

pastedImage_1.png

This proves to me that need a separate Global FRTC which is not tied to Chill_Max  in the Adrenalin 2020 Drivers.
So we still need Global FRTC, Chill_Min, and Chill Max sliders.

In addition the option to limit rapid mouse movement to Chill_Min is needed: - That was the power saving improvement put int Chill in Adrenalin 2019 release.
Letting FPS ramp up to Chill_Max = 300 is a pointless waste of power with rapid mouse movement because the image is blurry anyhow.
Finally some way to adjust Keyboard only input FPS is needed.

But it think it will never be implemented because AMD either don't care about Radeon Chill working properly or do not understand it.
It seems someone decided that only two sliders and therefore Chill_Max was tied to "Global FRTC" - this cripples keyboard only input FPS so they decided to remove the power saving that clamps rapid mouse movement to Chill_Min to make it look like the "useful" FPS is higher than it really is.

Clearly Screen Tearing in FreeSync is not a concern and neither is fixing Enhanced Syc so it doesn't freeze games / PC  with Radeon Chill on.

I wait for the next Adrenalin 2020 release.

0 Likes
djbully
Adept I

I do like the new interface, however, WHERE HAVE THE EYFINITY OPTIONS GONE? Sorry for CAPS, looks like I am shouting. Oh thats because I AM SHOUTING! 

I cant for the life of me get 3 monitors setup and bezel correct in these new drivers. 

3 x DP eyefinity desktop. It used to work, now there are just no options there....

Sad AMD user..... 

0 Likes

So it looks like everyone needs to download RivaTuner Statistic Server because you need it if you want to use Radeon Chill or for cases where Chill doesn't work since we no longer have a separate FRTC in the Driver.

0 Likes

Right - enough is enough - I am uninstalling this Adrenalin 2020 20.1.3 Driver now.
Back to Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1.

colesdav wrote:

Right - enough is enough - I am uninstalling this Adrenalin 2020 20.1.3 Driver now.
Back to Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1.

I am still using 20.1.3

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

20.1.4 is out, took AMD a week to fix a few basic errors, its going to take bloody years to fix the main issues which they still hiding.

I cannot bear the thought of even looking at it right now, but thanks for letting me know.

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.4 Highlights

Support For

•  Warcraft III: Reforged™
    • With high presets on the Radeon™ RX 5700 XT, achieve up to 11% better performance playing Warcraft® III: Reforged™ with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 edition 20.1.4 than with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.3.RS-331
  • Journey to the Savage Planet™

Fixed Issues

• Red Dead Redemption 2™ may experience square or blocky textures on some terrain during gameplay when using Vulkan® API.
  • Some Vulkan® API games may experience a crash or application hang when performing a task switch while Radeon Image Sharpening is enabled.
  • Text overflow is observed in toast messages for some languages.
  • Radeon ReLive may fail to switch recording to desktop when Radeon Software is open.
  • Grand Theft Auto™ 5 may experience a system hang or black screen at launch, when opening Radeon Overlay while in game, or after performing a task switch while in game.
  • Audio may intermittently be missing from Radeon ReLive recordings near the end of recorded clips.
  • Integer Scaling option is not showing up or available on some Windows®7 system configurations.

Known Issues

• A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • A system crash or hang may occur when running the Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers™ benchmark.
  • Integer Scaling may cause some video content to show flicker when the display resolution is set to less than native resolution.
  • Multiple games may have very dark or very bright graphics in game when HDR is enabled in Windows®.
  • Radeon Anti-Lag enable and disable beep notifications may be played in error when individually pressing keys assigned to the hotkey.
  • The Radeon Software Overlay hotkey notification may sometimes be displayed during video playback in web browsers or launching some video player applications.
  • Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
  • Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.

Footnotes

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check 5 posts back, I already wrote the update, took AMD a week to fix a few basic issues.

0 Likes

OK.

0 Likes

john007 wrote:

20.1.4 is out, took AMD a week to fix a few basic errors, its going to take bloody years to fix the main issues which they still hiding.

downloading it now

0 Likes
boomwaller
Journeyman III

Is there anyway to kill off logging FPS/Game time from Adrenaline? Seems like wasted resources/processes if that info is not something the end user wants or needs. I tried using Services but caused more issues than fixes to shut it off, also power-shell to kill the AMD process of logging and what not but that caused black screens on desktop. 

Anyways I guess if AMD cares maybe make it optional, features are great but so is the ability to opt out. 

0 Likes

Adrenalin 20.1.4.
Looking at GUI Scaling.
4K 60Hz BenQ 32 inch monitor with HDR.
My feedback has been the GUI is just far too large and the scaling is wrong, meaning I have to use a scrollbar just to see the menu options.
The Default scaling is 150%.

Setting a Custom Resolution Scaling of 149% or lower in Windows 10 Pro results iin this.
The text is too small and clearly there is lost of space wasted in the GUI.

This is the best I could do.

pastedImage_50.png

pastedImage_51.pngpastedImage_1.png

I still need a 3 screen high scroll bar to read system information for 3 GPU on the PC.

pastedImage_1.png

So with Default Windows settings the GUI Text, buttons and GUI interface is far too large.
The best result I gould get using Windows Scaling - the text is too small and there is lots of wasted space in the GUI itself.

If anyone has any better idea how to scale this GUI I would be grateful to know.

0 Likes

This site is a postage stamp at 4K and and even worse at 8K

amerelium
Adept II

Every post-Catalyst package is rubbish interface wise.

AMD, please revert back to Catalyst Interface - I use a PC, not a tablet, and want to be able to quickly modify graphics settings. Why on EARTH did you remove the ability to change GFX settings by simply right-clicking the taskbar ikon?

Also, remove the streaming and logging bloat from the driver package, and make it an optional installation - many of us have no interest in this crap.

...rant off.

0 Likes

Yes, that was so helpful just to right click.

No interest in bandwidth hogging plus some of us have limited data on satellite. And I hate to have to firewall so much. A reason I will not use windows 10 either. The only exception may be windows 10 enterprise LTSC if I can prove such things are really removed. We are not all on cable or fiber.

0 Likes

Latest features to vote for here;

Nothing about improving the Adrenalin 2020 Ease of Use / Ergonomics.
No real idea for what is intended but I voted anyhow.
Nothing about FRTC and Chill.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
old_noobette
Adept II

Agreed! it's too busy, complicated and to much advertising!

ALSO, I get the sense that AMD is trying to make their product perform better through software features rather than actual hardware capability.

For years Nvidia drivers would always make my N-GPU run hotter with each update, while Catalyst was for the most part very stable and never affected my A-GPU temps. BUT NOW... with Adrenalin , my GPU temps went up 4 degrees at idle for my older GPU after upgrading the latest recommended drivers.  it seems AMD is now following the trend that that nvidia set years ago.  I mean i understand the financial reasons for not to supporting older hardware, it encourages people to buy newer products. But to not have stable support for older hardware is a good way to get a business reputation damaged.  For example,  AMD removed all Catalyst driver support from their HD 7700 line and now forces people to use ether Adrenalin or older Crimson both fail to work properly with the HD 7700 series. 

0 Likes
guily6669
Elite

OFF TOPIC:

I actually never had any problems with Nvidia though I never had many either, I mostly bought ATI before AMD, but back then I paid close to 300€ for a ATI X1800GTO and when it broke I grabbed my bro's 150€ Nvidia and the performance overall was much better and some games which were running super bad or not working on the ATI was working fine on the crap cheaper ugly small Nvidia back then...

Last Nvidia I had anyway was the GTX570 and never had problems with it neither drivers, actually that was the best GPU I ever had the huge 3 slot Asus DirectCu II cooler I flashed it with a 1.2V unlocked bios and OC around 25% more from stock clocks (stock is 732mhz for a normal 570 and I used 910-915mhz) and a lot on the memories too and fan speed to 60 - 70% which wasn't even much loud and never reached 80Cº gaming neither had crashes, even did a 2 day lan party without turning the game off and on a demanding game for that old GPU but with the OC it could keep it very close to 60FPS ...

Anyway then I went for a reference RX480 and returned it the next day, it was running above 90Cº jumbo jet loud and not even keeping advertised clocks + a huge amount of problems... I waited for Asus Strix RX480 and bought it and sadly for more than a year the GPU never worked and I couldnt play almost any game as everything was freezing, crashing, BSOD, red screen of death, green screen, pink screen, everything that I never had before with the Nvidia which run everything fine...

I even RMA the Strix RX480 and received it back from Asus saying GPU is fine, it was really AMD's drivers fault which got stable more than a year later only, also I got full stability only after Strix RX580 launch and I flashed Strix RX580 OC bios on mine which is still the GPU I have...

ON TOPIC:

Anyway I'm pretty pissed with this 2020 AMD drivers which have no custom installer so that I wouldn't install a lot of stuff I dont want and no way to disable performance metrics and even game adviser which is off but keeps advising, this is by far what pisses me most because I have a old CPU and after 2020 AMD drivers it makes way more CPU stuttering than ever because it keeps logging performance of my games which I never asked for.

I already closed all AMD processes\services from windows and boom, Post Scriptum instantaneously run a lot smoother with much less CPU stuttering without the AMD software interfering, I want a custom installer with the option not to install game adviser, AMD Link, AMD performance metrics, built-in internet browser and all optional extra stuff.

PS: IN MY OPINION THIS IS A VERY BAD PRACTICE CRIPPLING PEOPLE'S PERFORMANCE ON PURPOSE, specially like me who have a older CPU so that we have to go run and buy a new Ryzen right away, One thing is adding performance metrics optional + other stuff that makes gaming performance worse AND other thing is making everyone locked into having to use it with no option to uninstall or even disable and the only way to get rid of it is never installing drivers and using the GPU for nothing or having to go back install very old outdated drivers from 2019...:(

I recommend the older Adrenalin 2020 edition 19.12.2 (Dec 12) which still includes the older Radeon Settings. It is what I am currently using.

Much less problems. I have Sapphire OC Nitro+ RX5500XT and two RX580 so it supports both new and old hardware if you decide to upgrade.

0 Likes

Yeah but it also hasn't got the fixes for latest games that they add from time to time... Though not that I care as I mostly play is Post Scriptum and the performance metrics is pissing me off as its causing way more CPU stuttering for nothing as I don't even want that extra feature ...

Anyway I won't upgrade so soon as Next Gen consoles are coming this year and AMD still has no Hardware accelerated Ray-tracing capabilities in any GPU and also 4K performance-per-price is still a joke on current both AMD and Nvidia GPU's...

I'm probably actually going to wait for DDR5 to arrive and buy a next gen architecture with new sockets from both intel and AMD and keep playing on this old PC at 1080P and maybe buy a PS5 by the end of this year if the price is right...

Anyway I'm more inclined to pay extra and go for Nvidia on my next build as I'm tired of having to wait more than a year for a new AMD GPU to start finally fully working stable and with good performance, at least I had enough with my RX480 that took almost 2 years to start working and I also have annoying low quality dotty\pixelated textures which are reported for years on many AMD GPU's on a lot of games specially on vegetations, one of the games really bad looking is Dirt Rally (the 1st one, on steam there's a huge amount of people reporting the same grainny\dotty\pixelated vegetation, trees on many AMD GPUs even from the AMD "HD" older generation of GPUs) and AMD never cared and never added to the known problem list, I also reported the problem and they never replied...

This is what I'm talking:

grainy textures 

On my old Nvidia that problem doesn't exist and also even while loading wind10 the middle spinning dots are already pixelated compared to Nvidia and then only gets normal after windows loads with the software kicking in but still shows on a lot of games specially in vegetation...

I cannot put up with the Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI.
So I decided to try this.
Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI / UI with the Adrenalin 2020 20.2.1 drivers installed.
pastedImage_1.png

Make sure you have a copy of the full download  install files for Adrenalin 2019.19.12.1 and Adrenalin 2020 20.2.1 ready.
Just used DDU in safe mode disconnected from theInternet to remove previous AMD Drivers.
Reboot into normal mode still disconnected from the Internet.
Extract and install  Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 and ReLive.
Reboot into normal mode so all of my GPUs show up.

Disable Crossfire and reboot into normal mode so Crossfire turns off.
Extract Adrenalin 2020 20.2.1 into a folder somewhere.

Then open Control Panel with Administrator Priviliges.
Go to Device Manager -> Display Adaptors.
Then do this, for example:

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was going to write to you regarding this, seeing as you wanted the recent version with the 2019 GUI, I just didn't want AMD reading, they will block this.

You have to be careful, if this method is blocked we screwed.

0 Likes

Or they could do the sensible thing and allow their Customers to use the GUI they actually prefer to use, the Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI and scrap the Adrenalin 2020 GUI for the massive mistake it is. At least make it an optional install. They seem to keep wanting to make AMD Users unhappy. Blocking HBM overclocking on Fiji cards. Dropping Windows 8.1 driver support. No Driver GUI for Ubuntu Linux. Dropping FRTC, Dropping CrossFire options, etc.

colesdav wrote:

Or they could do the sensible thing and allow their Customers to use the GUI they actually prefer to use, the Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI and scrap the Adrenalin 2020 GUI for the massive mistake it is. At least make it an oiptional install. They seem to keep wanting to make AMD Users unhappy. Blocking HBM overclocking on Fiji cards. Dropping Windows 8.1 driver support. No Driver GUI for Ubuntu Linux. Dropping FRTC, Dropping CrossFire options, etc.

the lineup of gripes is lengthy

I reset windows last week and 20.2.1 has been stable 

most likely the older drivers made too much of a mess that destabilized windows

0 Likes

They are not "gripes" they are a list of things that have been done with AMD Drivers.

My Windows install is and was fine. Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 is about as stable as the RX Vega 64 Liquid has ever been on any driver from AMD since I purchased the GPU. 

Installing any of the Adrenalin 2020 Drivers up to 20.2.1 on a completely new Windows install or an inplace update Windows install have been unstable.

So I am not blaming Windows.
It's not the PSU.
It's not a broken GPU - because swapping for another RX Vega 64 Liquid = same instability.
It's not the PSU leads.
Not overclocking GPU or CPU = still crashing.

Limiting the GPU power to 220W = same TDP as RTX 2080 = still crashing.
etc etc...
Swapping out the RX Vega 64 Liquids for an Nvidia GPU = no crashing.
No excuse.

It's the Drivers.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

They are not "gripes" they are a list of things that have been done with AMD Drivers.

My Windows install is and was fine. Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 is about as stable as the RX Vega 64 Liquid has ever been on any driver from AMD since I purchased the GPU. 

Installing any of the Adrenalin 2020 Drivers up to 20.2.1 on a completely new Windows install or an inplace update Windows install have been unstable.

So I am not blaming Windows.
It's not the PSU.
It's not a broken GPU GPU - because swapping for another RX Vega 64 Liquid = same instability.
It's not the PSU leads.
Not overclocking GPU or CPU = still crashing.

Limiting the GPU power to 220W = same TDP as RTX 2080 = still crashing.
etc etc...
Swapping out the RX Vega 64 Liquids for an Nvidia GPU = no crashing.
No excuse.

It's the Drivers.

I agree that drivers are bad, some recent drivers caused BSOD problems galore

You would think that an RX 480 would be fairly stable by now?

0 Likes

RE: You would think that an RX 480 would be fairly stable by now?

Yes the RX480 definitely should be stable by now.
RX Vega 64 Liquid should have been stable when I purchased it brand new in November 2018.
That GPU was launched in August 14 2017, EOLed by December 2017,  and it is still crashing/hanging Audio Buzzing and Blackscreening in Feb 2020.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Yes the RX480 definitely should be stable by now.
RX Vega 64 Liquid shouyld have been stable when I purchased it brand new in November 2018.
That GPU was launched in August 14 2017, EOLed by December 2017,  and it is still crashing/hanging Audio Buzzing and Blackscreening in Feb 2020.

My card is slightly older from 2016 which is all the more reason to snarl when the rig BSODs and I am not even playing a game. My box is all AMD, CPU, chipset and video card.

And you wonder why me and john talked at length over fresh installs of windows and every driver available with this Radeon VII card. He is as frustrated as I am. Team cynic.

0 Likes

john007 wrote:

I was going to write to you regarding this, seeing as you wanted the recent version with the 2019 GUI, I just didn't want AMD reading, they will block this.

You have to be careful, if this method is blocked we screwed.

I have had to manually install drivers with the INF using the windows explorer, the device manager would freeze no matter what I did

I am waiting for the new BIOS for the X570 to get out of beta so I can try it out.

0 Likes

Hi,

That method of installing 2020 20.2.1 drivers with with Adrenalin 19.12.1 GUI/UI it seems to be more unstable than just using Adrenalin 19.12.1.
I have noticed the following based on an initial test of BFV DX12 versus what I see with Adrenalin 19.12.1.

1. FRTC no longer seems to work.
2. Chill beeps are gone at launch, although Chill is working. 
3. It looks like Memory Timing Levels are not getting set properly on RX Vega 64 Liquid.

Obviously I will have to try a full Adrenalin 2020 20.2.1 install but that means using that GUI.

I will let you know. 

Thanks for your help / advice.

0 Likes

Hi,

Just tried running BFV DX12 4K Ultra using Adrenalin 2020 20.2.1

First I ran all windows checks, they passed,  and also "repaired" BFV game files.

I disconnected from internet.

I DDU'ed in safe mode and removed AMD Drivers.
I rebooted into normal mode.
I installed Adrenalin 2020 20.2.1 
I rebooted the PC because I could only see 2 of 3 GPUs in the Driver menu and there was no CrossFire button.
On reboot I see all three GPUs and I turn off CrossFire button and quickly reboot. 
Once back in Windows 10 I see all three GPUs, crossFire is off. Ready to test. 

The result.

BFV is crashing and freezing with this driver, PC unresponsive. Only way to get out of it is hit soft reset button.

So I cannot tell for sure if there is actually a problem with using Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI + 2020 20.2.1 Drivers.

or

If there is just a problem with Adrenalin 2020 20.2.1 drivers. 

I recorded 2 tests.One with in game Vsync on and the other with In Game Vsync off.

I will check if I still have the videos since freezing PC usually means the videos are wrecked.

I am moving back to Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 since I can run BFV on that at 4K Ultra using Radeon Chill and record at 1080p and mostly make it for ~ 15 minutes of gaming w/o crash/hang/freeze/blackscreen etc.

Bye.

0 Likes