cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

akeeller
Adept II

Do you like the new interface of Adrenalin 2020 Edition?

Do you like the new interface of Adrenalin 2020 Edition?
Personally yes, but not too much. I like the idea and the single elements of the interface, but overall it’s quite a mess. Everything should be reorganized a little bit.

456 Replies

Adrenalin 19.12.1 uses the old interface are you saying you had to revert to it?
I am interested to know why you prefer the new Adrenalin 2020 interface.

As far as I see it, it is far too big for any resolution.
It uses two buttons where one would do.

From ergonomics point of view I think it is terrible.
For example. It keeps closing menus.
If you go to Global Graphics, open one of the now "hidden settings" navigate over to Game Graphics and then go back to global Graphics again - menu you just opened is closed again.
It also runs the Game Advisor all of the time and that produces inaccurate and pointless results.
I cannot see why anyone thinks it is better than the Adrenalin 2019 interface in any way at all.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Adrenalin 19.12.1 uses the old interface are you saying you had to revert to it?
I am interested to know why you prefer the new Adrenalin 2020 interface.

As far as I see it, it is far too big for any resolution.
It uses two buttons where one would do.

From ergonomics point of view I think it is terrible.
For example. It keeps closing menus.
If you go to Global Graphics, open one of the now "hidden settings" navigate over to Game Graphics and then go nback to global Graphics again - menu you just opened is closed again.
It also runs the Game Advisor all of the time and that produces inaccurate and pointless results.
I cannot see why anyone thinks it is better than the Adrenalin 2019 interface in any way at all.

Yes.

Not for 1440p, but I agree with you the user should be given the choice to maximize or minimize it to the resolution they like.

As I mentioned in my previous post that there is always room for more improvements.

And as far why I like it, It's big, understandable & easy to use for a dumb person like me.

For me I really hate the layout of Adrenalin 19.12.1, it's small & far too complicated for me to understand & use, If I had the options I wouldn't use it.

0 Likes
msuomi
Adept II

I friggin' LOVE it!

Honestly, comparing to everything else, this is totally on another level.

Well done, AMD!

Now, just keep killing those bugs FAST!

As the income of AMD is rising, because of the overall excellent products, put more money on driver development. Don't forget to make great innovations and keep the prize of products competitive.

Don't fall to same things that Nvidia and Intel have...

That's it. Quite simple, actually...

You cannot have tested it very much then.

The entire Adrenalin 2020 UI/GUI is a bug.

The installer is bad as well.

It just black screened my PC at boot up after clean install from Radeon Pro 19.Q4 to Adrenalin 2020 20.1.1. clean install with reset factory settings.
The installer needs the PC to be connected directly to the internet otherwise the only thing I see is an opaque outline of the installer which is doing nothing.
The implications of having to connect the AMD installer to the internet in Windows 10 to install the new drivers are quite frankly hilarious.

0 Likes
vocal
Journeyman III

I don't care about any of these "new" features, i just want a stable driver.

Anonymous
Not applicable

One good thing about the GUI,

You can keep the last panel opened saved even on a restart, so I just have the performance tab with the OC settings to monitor, you don't really need to click on any other panel once setup.

So basically I'm treating this as an afterburner panel.

But whats the point if the driver crashes on any 3D application, so its useless, typical from AMD.

0 Likes

Yes I like the interfaces of this adrenalin but the driver needs more work. It's quite bad then the previous driver. 

OK so here I am back running Adrenalin 2020 version 20.1.1 after a horrible installation experience where the installer black screened my Windows 10 installation at boot. I was left with no display output at all and I had to remove two of my AMD GPUs from the machine just to get a login screen.

You really are amazingly bad.

pastedImage_1.png

Cannot even scroll down the compatibility window to see what it is complaining about, the scroll bar is missing.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes indeed we want our feature back. Stop removing features AMD, we need FRTC for old games with no vsync option also.

If you actually implemented DirectX Vsync and DirectX triple buffering we wouldn't have this problem, told you about this years ago.

Also why do you still use the extremely old Morphological Filtering AA? Why have you not implemented SMAA yet?

What's the point of Morphological Filtering when even reshade has x1 Enhanced Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing?

Why are you messing about with crappy GUI's when you could be implementing x4 Enhanced Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing.

Not even picking up game icons:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Same ridiculous layout. two buttons where one would do. Massive scaling at 1080p, settings I want to see are hidden by a tab that I have to expand.

and also

WHERE IS GLOBAL FRTC????????

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Have to scroll down the screen just to see other settings:
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

One of my RX Vega's is missing (the secondary GPU) although control panel says it is fine and all GPUs are working properly. 

No Crossfire Options for the Primary GPU.
pastedImage_1.png

Do you think you could possibly make those buttons any bigger?

0 Likes

Click on top Video menu, click back to Graphics and the "Advanced v" Tab is minimized again - that is not good ergonomics.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

I am now off to reattach two of my other AMD GPUs and see if Adrenalin 2020 20.1.1. will present me with something better than a completely black screen at windows boot.

Please pull this Adrenalin 2020 software from release until you think about it and actually get it in a state where it is useable;.

0 Likes

I had to use DDU version  v18.0.2.1 to wipoe clean all traces of AMD GPU drivers, reboot, and install Adrenalin 2020 20.1.1.
This time I see all of my GPUs and I see crossfire controls for the Primary Vega GPU.
Global FRTC is missing.

Chill is not a replacement.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

I had to use DDU version  v18.0.2.1 to wipoe clean all traces of AMD GPU drivers, reboot, and install Adrenalin 2020 20.1.1.
This time I see all of my GPUs and I see crossfire controls for the Primary Vega GPU.
Global FRTC is missing.

Chill is not a replacement.

The Chill beeps are gone in 20.1.1

0 Likes

Yes I know and they shouldn't be gone....

0 Likes

I am not even able to run BFV with this Adrenalin 2020 20.1.1. driver.

I have no idea what has been done with this driver but I am seeing screen corruption in BFV.

Then I see black screening followed by game crash and or PC BSOD and reset.
That's running a Primary RX Vega 64 Liquid on PCIe 3.0x8. 
I set Global Chill_Min = 59 = Global Chill_Max = 59 to limit FPS to 1 FPS below FreeSync top end = 60Hz. This does not work in this driver.
It does nothing. I need Global FRTC back.
I set the game profile Chill_min = 30 Chill_Max = 300 so I save lots of power when no keyboard input and still have keyboard only input FPS of 55 FPS. 
The came launched and runs very poorly indeed.

Enough is enough.

I am unuinstalling this botched Adrenalin 2020 20.1.1. driver and going back to Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 which runs BFV fine on the RX Vega 64 Liquid with the same settings.

0 Likes
peace
Adept I

Hi,

I know it's not the appropriate topic/post to address this issue but I see many experts are here to give their opinions about the new Adrenalin 2020 version, so I am posting it here in hope of finding a solution:

I've one super annoying problem, that is the screen not waking up & the "NO HDMI Signal" most of the times, I've to turn the monitor on & off couple of times or unplug and plug the HDMI cable to wake the screen again, if anyone knows how to solve this problem, PLEASE help me by recommending a fix or another version, thank you.

I've been using the 19.12.1 version, even it doesn't solve my problem!!

0 Likes
faqu
Challenger

I absolutely hate the 2020 interface. Instead of focusing on fixing their drivers and maybe add new features, they decided to come up with a new interface which literally no one asked for.

Meanwhile, the driver functionality is broken.

Wait for Vertical Refresh still only works with OpenGL. No option for Half Vsync whatsoever.

Unless your GPU is maxed out Anti-Lag actually increases your input latency.

Tons of crashes for the RX 5000 series.

If you are hoping that AMD is eventually gonna redeem themselves, well, I can tell your from my own experience that it wont happen. For reference, I'm an RX 480 user, and I had to wait 8 months in the past for them to fix an intermittent crash which prevented any AMD user to play Overwatch. Tons of complains from users, tons of forum threads on both AMD's and Blizzard's forums. And they eventually fixed it.... AFTER 8 MONTHS.

So this basically sums up my experience with AMD drivers. They always say that they are "working on improving the drivers" but they never actually do it. As much as I hate Nvidia's marketing tactics, my next card is gonna be from team green, solely for the drivers. They may not have the best looking driver interface, but at least the driver is functional and there are regular updates with various hotfixes. Unlike AMD where you have to wait months for a new driver release, hoping that it fixes whatever issue you've got. 

Oh, and that "We read and value every issue reporting form that's sent to us" is completely BS.

Nvidia control panel does look a bit old, the resolution scaling does need some work at 4K for sure, however I find that it works.
I have not had a crash with it for years.
I have had no PC freezes/BSODS/Audio Buzzes/Lockups at all.

A few games, have crashed on me a few times in the past year using Nvidia cards. But all that happens is the game shuts down.

No one seems to mention Nvidia GeForce Experience on here and the all seem to focus on Nvidia Control Panel.
I have been using Nvidia GeForce Experience for a few years now.
You do have to sign in to Nvidia to use it. I think that is needed because it needs user data as it provides Game Settings Optimization.

At least you have a choice to use Nvidia GeForce Experience or not.
It can be run separately from the Nvidia Control Panel.
This new Adrenalin 2020 driver has Web browser integration - so what is the choice or security of using that?

The layout of Nvidia GeForce Experience is much better than this Adrenalin 2020 GUI, and much easier to use.

I simply do not understand what the purpose of Adrenalin 2020 is.
I think the Radeon Overlay in Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 is better and easier to use and more stable than the Overlay in Adrenalin 2020.
The Adrenalin 2019 Driver GUI/UI is much easier to navigate and to compare Global versus Profile settings.

No-one asked any AMD GPU user I know if this new GUI was a good idea or asked if people would prefer to keep the existing GUI but have features fixed or improved (Chill) and a more stable driver instead.

I see that the Adrenalin 2020 Game Advisor still runs every time I launch a game/application and I cannot switch it off. This means the data it reports is nonsense.

The Game Advisor can be run manually in Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 from the Radeon Performance Overlay and I think it is is actually a useful benchmarking and performance analysis tool, even though simply turning on the Radeon Performance Overlay drops a couple of FPS anyhow.

Simple things like:
Better resolution scaling.
Thinking about the ergonomics of the Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI so fewer clicks are needed if navigating between global and Game profile settings.
Reducing the ridiculous size of buttons and combining button title and switch like on Adrenalin 2019 to save space so you do not need to "information hide" the settings I want to use under the "Advanced v" TAB.  Having to use a scroll bar just to see settings which could have easily been fit on the screen is another major ergonomics failure in GUI design.
There is no memory in the GUI if the user has expanded these "Advanced v" tabs or not. Making this another ergonomics failure. Move away from what you were looking at, come back to it, the settings have been minimised.
Maybe giving the user an "Advanced" or "Basic" option in settings so these "Advanced v" minimised settings can be either shown or minimised all the time.

Seriously trying to use this new Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI is really incredibly frustrating and hard work.
It is also very unstable.
Turning on a sidebar to show information such as FPS or game settings should not crash your game or BSOD your PC.

0 Likes

I am still unable to tidy up this Home page by turning off things I am not interested in, other than the Upgrade Advisor. 
Can you see that Average FPS for BFV of 40.5? - It is nonsense because that Game Advisor is running all the time even when the game is not being played and I am just setting up menu options or the game is paused. I know what driver I am running. I am not interested in AMD Link, or tutorials etc etc.

pastedImage_2.png

This is as tidy as it gets - Only Upgrade Advisor can be removed.

pastedImage_1.png

This entire Adrenalin 2020 driver GUI/UI and stability is it's own "Upgrade Advisor" in any case.
It is telling me to upgrade to Nvidia GPUs and Drivers because it is so bad.

0 Likes

I see screen corruption in the Adrenalin 20200 GUI/UI when running BFV:

pastedImage_1.png

Adrenalin 2020 20.1.1
BFV 4K Ultra settings.
Textures set to performance otherwise the GPU crashes.
RX Vega 64 Liquid.
Global Chill Min = Chill_max = 59 in an attempt to limit FPS to 59, 1 FPS below top end of FreeSync range = 60.
Game Profile Chill_Min = 30, Chill_max = 300 - need to set 30 to save power and 300 so I hit the gigantic value of 55 FPS with Chill on and Shift+W or W key pressed down to allow game character to run or walk.

Chill at rest 30FPS, 134W.
pastedImage_1.png

Chill Walking (hold W key down): I get a maximum of 55 FPS (internal Chill Limit that needs to be user adjustable - I would like 59...) 273 Watts. 
pastedImage_2.png

Looking up at the sky and repeatedly tapping W key: 80 FPS, 277W.
pastedImage_3.png

The FPS should be limited to 59 FPS.
The monitor FreeSync top end limit is 60 FPS.
Running at 80 FPS is burning more power than needed.
Global FRTC would stop this.

Note Rapid mouse movement is locked to 30FPS (Chill_Min)  for this game with Chill on, at least for the 3 times I launched the game and on this Combined ARMS operation. It doesn't always lock to Chill_Min though.

You need Global FRTC back in the driver for Chill and other reasons.

Other points to note in the above shots.

The Radeon Performance Overlay cannot/will not report FPS!
The Radeon Performance Overlay cannot/will not Ryzen 2700X CPU Utilization > 0.

I am seeing screen corruption in the Radeon Performance Overlay if I alt Z/R and go back to the game:

pastedImage_6.png

Way to go.

I have already filed AMD Reporting forms pointing to this thread so if AMD have any Software QA people they can look at this post.
I am not wasting my time filing any more reports.

0 Likes

Forgot to mention.

Setting Chill Hot Key to Alt+W does NOTHING.
I normally set Alt+W so i can do an emergency Chill cooldown whist gaming on RX Vega 64 Liquid or turn Chill off if I want more than 55 FPS...
F11 is the only hotkey for Chill.

Using F11 is again an ergonomic fail.
Either take left hand off keyboard or right hand off mouse or hit F11 with your nose...
Either way distracts from gaming.
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Here is the link to the thread you asked for sgtbilko
As you can see I have done lots of testing on this new Adrenalin 2020 interface.
It is very buggy and has many UI/GUI design issues.
I have tested each version on it on a clean install of Windows 10 Pro.
This thread was opened on 11 December 2019, no responses from AMD GUI/UI/Drivers team that I can see to address any issues I pointed out. That is why I discussed it with you on Red Team Discord today for a short time.

I hope AMD enjoy the free testing done by everyone on here.

https://community.amd.com/thread/246238 

Based on trying out Adrenalin 20.1.3 today. 
Compatibility Scroll bar missing.
Still advising users to upgrade to an EOL product - Radeon VII.
pastedImage_1.png
Cannot use settings to clean up the messy home page:
pastedImage_2.png
Ridiculously large UI scaling, requiring use of a scrollbar, why are two buttons not combined into  on the LHS with radio button. Why is the Advanced Tab not on the lower RHS of the screen?: 
pastedImage_3.png

Look at GPU 2 for example:
I still have to scroll down the screen to see advanced settings: pastedImage_4.png
pastedImage_5.png

If I move to hotkeys and back to the above grapics menu all Advanced Tabs get closed.
pastedImage_6.png

Global FRTC has been removed from the Drivers. Radeon Chill is not a replacement. Please do not tell me to use Chill_MIN = CHILL_MAX = Frame Rate Limit. I need Global FRTC to limit peak FPS with Radeon Chill in many cases.

I have not tested the stability of 20.1.3. versus the previous Adrenalin 2020 releases, and I am not going to.
I have no time and AMD should be testing their own drivers before releasing them.

0 Likes

I also noticed the scroll bar was missing

0 Likes

DDU in safe mode to remove AMD 2020 20.1.3  + boot into Windows 10 + Connect internet.
Sit for ~ 2-5 minutes.
Windows 10 installs old AMD Adrenalin 2019 and earlier drivers for my AMD GPUs.
Start the new Adrenalin 2020 20.1.3 installer. 
It simply proceeds to install drivers and does not see the Microsoft installed version.
Congratulations on not fixing this. 

0 Likes

Immediately post DDU in safe mode, disconnected from the internet followed by boot into Windows 10 and perform Adrenalin 2020 20.1.3 install with Factory Reset. Machine reboots, installs the drivers and I see this. One of My Vega GPUs is missing from the Driver GUI. Answers on a post card please. Device Manager shows two RX Vega cards and an R9 390x and says they are working properly.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Note there are no Crossfire Options Shown.

pastedImage_1.png

I guess I will try rebooting the machine...

0 Likes

Just in case anyone blames it on my Windows 10 Installation:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.592]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18363.592

[==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

0 Likes

Once I reboot the PC - Crossfire options turn up.
pastedImage_1.png

Obvious.

0 Likes

I can enable crossife on mine but only global settings. When i go to game profile settings it just says disabled no option to change to afr or 1x1 etc. All my games crash until i disable crossfire in global settings. Even the disable doesnt work on the game profiles.New Bitmap Image (2).bmpNew Bitmap Image.bmp

0 Likes

OK. I was just about to uninstall Adrenalin 2020 20.1.3. but I will quickly look to see what is working in DX11 Crossfire.
Given the state of the rest of the driver and the performance drop I saw in CrossFire X in Adrenalin 2019. I don't hold much hope.
The X in DX11 Crossfire X now stands for "Don't Care Condition".
Based on my testing of DX12 Multi GPU games on Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 the same holds true there.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

OK. I was just about to uninstall Adrenalin 2020 20.1.3. but I will quickly look to see what is working in DX11 Crossfire.
Given the state of the rest of the driver and the performance drop I saw in CrossFire X in Adrenalin 2019. I don't hold much hope.
The X in DX11 Crossfire X now stands for "Don't Care Condition".
Based on my testing of DX12 Multi GPU games on Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 the same holds true there.

CFX and SLI are history, witness the rise of big powerful cards

0 Likes

That does not mean people who purchased dual AMD cards for Crossfire should be thrown under a bus.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

That does not mean people who purchased dual AMD cards for Crossfire should be thrown under a bus.

I have looked at SL/CFX support in recent games and its outright scarce how to see DX12 games support dual cards.

0 Likes