cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

MADZyren
Paragon

Do You know a great piece of software or app which you like and use often?

Some software that just works and does what you want:

1) Mouse without borders (by Microsof Garage): Install to your computers/laptops, set them side by side to your table, use all of them seemlessly with one keyboard and mouse. Mouse just rolls from screen to screen and it feels like using one computer. I know similar software exists, but this one didn't require me to punch any holes to firewalls, routers or bridge any connections. 

2) Need to give IT support to friends, colleques or old relatives? No need for external software like Teamviewer anymore. There is a software called Quick Assist included in Windows 10 and 11. I think you need an MS account for it to work (the recipient of assintance I believe doesn't need one). Easy to use and you can control someone elses computer through internet. Once again as the lazy guy I am, it is great you don't have to configure firewalls, routers or such for this to work and this really works across internet, so no need to be in same home network or LAN.

3) Want to clean your harddrive. Windows includes Disk Cleanup. I personally do not like to install the kind of 3rd party software which affects operating systems registry or files as they often just 'mostly' work. With disk cleanup you can clean both normal files from your system, but also unnecessary system files. Remember to select what you want removed and be carefull if you keep something important in recycle bin.

4) Windows Sandbox. If you have a Pro version (or higher) of Windows, you can add this feature from "Turn Windows features on or off" (you need to have virtualization support enabled in BIOS). Sandbox doesn't require any knowledge or installation. Basically you get a virtual machine with Windows inside it. Every time you close it,everything is wiped, so next time you use it is like you had never used it before. Great for testing or if you absolutely have to check some site that might contain malware. It is basically a sandbox from where nothing should be able to spread to your actual system - basically a virtual machine which resets itself every time you close it.

5) ProcessExplorer - By Microsoft again. Shows a lot of information about processes and which files are attached to which prosesses and a lot more. Enables you to check every process has a verified signer (a couple of system processes don't, that's normal) and also enables you to check your prosesses with Virustotal.

6) hwinfo64 - download and then run as administrator, often is better to "run sensors only". Shows voltages,temps, clockspeeds and all. Very usefull. CPU-Z is more common, but this is more usefull.

7) 7zip: support wide variety of file compression and uncompression options, chance to add password for access and so on.

7.9) Snipping tool (by... MS... again). Included in Windows. Makes it easy to capture parts of what you see on screen, copy and paste them or save them as image files. Have used it a lot on this board too. Very handy. Forget taking pictures with your cellphone and posting blurry images, there is a faster, easier and better way.

9) These are a bit different: Run them from console (type cmd -> run as administrator)

chkdsk /F *press enter* checks your harddrive for errors and fixes them

sfc /scannow *press enter* checks your system files and repairs them if needed. It is normal to have few issues if you have not run this before

ipconfig /renew *press enter* If you have network issues, restart your modem/router and use this command in console

10) Irfanview. When you just want to crop, resize, sharpen image or improve gamma, contrast or such. This is light, fast and easy. Also available in MS Store for automatic updates. (just as VLC player!)

11) Firefox. I just don't get why this isn't more popular. Best privacy. Easy to use. Supports important add-ons like uBlock. Never had sever issues with it. In some benchmarks some other browser might be faster, but unless you are using a dual core pentium from 2004, do you think it matters?

Edit: apparently can't add *eight* to snipping tool no matter what. So, tried 7.9 instead. Strange.

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use 7zip and Firefox too. PrtSc on keyboard is shortcut for screenshot but is that part of snipping tool?

With snipping tool you can draw the area of screen you want to copy with mouse.

If you use prtsc, press alt + prtsc to catch only the active window

CN50
Adept III

I love firefox don't understand why more people aren't useing it either

I have been using Firefox for many years. But they had one period of time that they were constantly upgrading the browser which caused some issues with Add-ons. But I feel most comfortable with Firefox than any other browser.

I had purchase a 3rd party unzipping program several years ago than I found out that 7-zip was faster, better, and free. Can't beat those odds.

The programs I used the most on a daily basis is  Kodi using Nextpvr to watch recorded TV shows and stream movies from Video Add-ons like Crackle and Shout besides Firefox.

Another program I use to watch videos is PowerDVD and Power2Go for burning discs. By the way one free program that runs just about all types of media is Leewo Blu-ray player which is free.

The Windows Snippet tool is one tool I use constantly while on AMD Forums and to make screenshots for other occasions.

I also use Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets to monitor my hardware and PC activities. Really useful small apps. I haven't had any issues with viruses infecting my PC since I been using the Desktop Gadgets. Which was the main reason why Microsoft removed them in Windows 10 for security reasons.

Vynski
Exemplar

Corel Quattro Pro.

I learned spreadsheets on the Commodore 64 and when I progressed to MS-DOS I used LOTUS 123.  I have built some outstanding spreadsheets in the past that served me well in both as a school administrator and also farming.  Some I have migrated to EXCEL and discovered very quickly why I prefer Quattro Pro over EXCEL by far.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

There are lots of free tools out there to aid you with day to day tasks.

The most simple of them all...

Core temp.

It just sits there in the task bar reporting cpu temp. 

The Englishman
CN50
Adept III

I have been using this since 2005 screamer-radio app before the was such as thing as online radio this was the software still find myself using it time to time for something different to listen to.