cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: display goes black when installing driver system freezes

Well. it is bad news because it looks like the AMD installer is broken again.
It is bad news since it is possible you just returned your GPU for no reason.
It is good news because I will have a video showing the problem and I can report it to AMD.
It is good news because if you decide to buy an Nvidia GPU it looks like their installer works fine on the same build of Windows.

0 Kudos
buckthunder
Adept III
Adept III

well slightly good news that CanadaComputers has been fighting me on the return, so I DO still have the GPU. So it's kind of a sit and wait for AMD to figure something out?

0 Kudos
buckthunder
Adept III
Adept III

I'm concerned though because when I first ran the computer it worked like a charm, plug and play, and one morning (2 weeks later) Windows froze on start up. Unless it auto updated how could that be installer related? After that incident I was eventually able to install the drivers through Device Manager, where I didn't turn off my PC until it powered off by itself while streaming Netflix and then froze on windows boot. Which lead to this post where I can't install the drivers at all. Sorry if this is off topic/unrelated.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

RE: well slightly good news that CanadaComputers has been fighting me on the return

Yes this is what I have been seeing has been happening. 
GPU Vendors have been selling these AIB RX5000 series cards knowing full well they have problems with card construction. stability, VBIOS, and drivers and they have been making it next to impossible to RMA the cards. I am certain the RMA return rates are high. They will often get the RMA then tell you they cannot replicate the problem.

The cards have also been advertised with AMD Gaming Bundles which they also try to backtrack on.

Taking time to run test and RMA is expensive.
They often try to get you to pay postage.
I have had some sellers claim a return is lost in the post in the past, even though it was returned by signed delivery at my own cost.  

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

I will file an AMD reporting form and that is all we can do.
I will point to this thread.

0 Kudos
buckthunder
Adept III
Adept III

Wow this is crazy and very disheartening. I appreciate everything you've done here.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, it is crazy, especially the idea of getting sent out a VBIOS to run your VRAM at a higher speed.
VRAM testing needs to be done in the factory to make sure your GPU passes testing at a certain speed.
Shipping GPUs tested at a certain speed and then sending out a VBIOS flash (at your risk of course) to overclock VRAM tells me lots about AMD AIB QA concerns.
That is why I was so happy you had not done it.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

I will open a new thread to describe the problem I have been able to repeat.

I will upload the videos there.

(1). I am unable to install Adrenalin 2020 20.7.1 at all on Windows 10 64bit 19.09 latest update.  
(2). A DDU setting is affecting Adrenalin Install behavior I see. In one setting the Adrenalin installers black screen before install completes.
With another setting the install completes then causes very sluggish mouse behaviour on desktop and crashes the PC with an atikmdag BSOD.

(3). I have been able to install this, after much effort - Adrenalin 19.12.1 GUI/UI + 20.7.1 driver.
pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

I tried to report the bug into AMD bug Reporting System here:
https://community.amd.com/thread/255087 

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Do not use the new AMD Bug Reporting tool if you value your data.

0 Kudos