Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

therconjair
Journeyman III

Display Driver Clean Install uninstalls far more than the Display Driver

This is more for the AMD driver team to know:

I noticed that on start up after installation of 17.10.3 I had two AMD Radeon logos in my system tray. So I decided hey, let's uninstall and reinstall the drivers, and to be sure, let's use the Clean Install option!

The display driver is reinstalled and working, and only one Radeon logo shows up, so only one instance.

But what also happened:

-Printer uninstalled

-Monitor drivers and colour profiles uninstalled

-Elgato sound drivers uninstalled

Next time I'm going to use DDU instead again. But.. just to reiterate: what have printer drivers to do with my GPU drivers?..

0 Kudos
6 Replies
infectedshogun
Adept I

Re: Display Driver Clean Install uninstalls far more than the Display Driver

DDU also deletes monitor profiles in my experience, it actually kinda makes sense for that to be included in a clean install.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

AMD is aware of the problem according to this earlier thread; https://community.amd.com/message/2827942#comment-2827942?q=printer

therconjair
Journeyman III

Thanks!

0 Kudos
therconjair
Journeyman III

That makes at least halfways sense, although monitor profiles shouldn't really impact a graphics driver too much and are a separate device. Also, only my primary monitor plus colour profiles got uninstalled. My secondary monitor and its colour profiles were left untouched.

0 Kudos
alleyviper
Elite

You can set DDU to keep monitor drivers on its options. Just set it to store the config in the roaming folder, so you don't forget to untick it again in a later version.

0 Kudos
bertox
Journeyman III

Yep, happens to me too: clean install -> deleted my LoopBe30 virtual midi cable sound driver too.

So nonsense AMD.

0 Kudos