cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gavcheg
Journeyman III

Re: Display dimmed after boot (Adrenalin 2020)

I can confirm an issue with 20.2.1 drivers. Everything was perfect with 19.11.2.

In my case i have dimmed screen after monitor (not pc) wakes up from sleep, turning off and on monitor makes screen normal again. Interesting, that when screen is dimmed mouse cursor have normal brigthness...

Vega64 + Samsung C27FG70

0 Likes
vipkattkool
Journeyman III

same with me, cursor mouse normal but screen dimmed
RX580 + Samsung 32JG50, driver 20.2.2
pls amd fix it

0 Likes
pezku
Journeyman III

Vega 56 and Samsung CF791. Same problem constantly with 2020 drivers. Half a year and still not fixed.

0 Likes
seastedt
Adept I

Yea, its not even under known issues from the latest update wich did not help at all.  

0 Likes
pezku
Journeyman III

Okay, for me it was caused by CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) which I used for extending the Freesync range of the display (down to 30 Hz). Removing the customization fixed the dimming issue. Ofc now I don't have proper freesync range...  

CRU doesn't seem to be compatible with 2020 drivers.

0 Likes
Cornugon
Miniboss

I had the same issue. Screen was dimming after logging into Windows, and it appeared to have been caused by "Custom Resolution Utility".

However, the ACTUAL solution (for me that is) didn't involve changing CRU's settings, but one inside of Radeon Software itself:

-Open Radeon Software: 

-Click on "Settings" in the top right corner

-Select the "Graphics" tab (the 2nd one on the left)

-Click on / expand "Advanced" in the bottom

-There is a setting just below the "OpenGL Triple Buffering" which wasn't there in last years' drivers, namely "10-Bit Pixel Format". Yes, just like the one in the "Display"-tab.

-Since this setting is likely disabled (by default?), ENABLE it. You'll get a prompt that your system should restart. Do that, and enjoy your full bright screen. 

And yes, it works with CRU.

And a screenshot just to show what I'm talking about in case it wasn't clear:

10bpp.jpg

Cornugon
Miniboss

See my solution below, I had the exact same issue with CRU, which I'm also using to extend the Freesync range down to 30Hz.

It has to do with a discrepancy in the colour bit depth between the graphics card and the monitor. You have to have the pixel format to set 10bpp in both the Graphics and the Display settings from within Radeon Software.

I'm not sure if CRU actively changed one of these settings resulting in the 'muted colours'-look.

0 Likes
reen68
Adept I

I found the setting in the graphic tab but not in the display tab.

I have the color depth option in display but i can only choose 6 or 8bit (as my display only has 8bit depth and doesnt support 10bit which would be hdr if i am right.)

Although it seems to work with only changin it in the display tab the dimming is gone.. BUT:

Now i have a weird behaviour when i run an application in exclusive fullscreen mode I cant really explain, its like when you change the resolution and then the display stays black for quite a while .. 10 seconds .. then it shows the app normally.. kinda weird.

0 Likes
Cornugon
Miniboss

In your case you should keep the setting within 'graphics' disabled if your screen doesn't support 10 bit.

And no 10-bit isn't only used for HDR. It allows

for more than 16.7M colours, which can also be used for HDR.

But some DisplayHDR400 screens are 8-bit.

Another cause for the dimming issue (or washed-out colours) is when your graphics card and monitor are using a different pixel format, like your monitor is set to Full RGB 4:4:4, and your graphics card (in the Display tab) is set to RGB Limited or YCbCr 4:2:2 for instance, though some screens automatically switch to the proper pixel format.

0 Likes
seastedt
Adept I

I didnt have those options either to change in my radeon software.

I just made this topic were i recorded the problem with my monitor

https://community.amd.com/message/2985515 

0 Likes