cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tolcheen
Adept II

Different Freesync types

What is the difference in the driver between FreeSync types? I'm talking about in the driver GUI on the Display tab, then under Display Options, where you can enable stuff like Virtual Super Resolution. I have a ViewSonic XG2705 that shows up as "Adaptive Sync Compatible" and I also have a ViewSonic XG2402 that shows up as "AMD FreeSync Premium". Everything is connected to an RX5700 using DisplayPort cables and FreeSync is enabled on the monitors.

0 Likes
1 Solution
cvzone
Adept III

"Adaptive Sync Compatible" is a VESA standard. "Freesync" is the AMD enhanced version of Adaptive Sync.

In general it is the same feature. In addition there is another standard called HDMI VRR ("VRR" in the driver), which basically does the same as freesync.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync-faq

Freesync itself has three different tiers (Freesync, Freesync Premium, Freesync Premium Pro). Higher tiers guarantee high refresh rates, low framerate compensation, low response times, HDR and so on.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
cvzone
Adept III

"Adaptive Sync Compatible" is a VESA standard. "Freesync" is the AMD enhanced version of Adaptive Sync.

In general it is the same feature. In addition there is another standard called HDMI VRR ("VRR" in the driver), which basically does the same as freesync.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync-faq

Freesync itself has three different tiers (Freesync, Freesync Premium, Freesync Premium Pro). Higher tiers guarantee high refresh rates, low framerate compensation, low response times, HDR and so on.

0 Likes
tolcheen
Adept II

Its just odd as my XG2705 and XG2702 are both "FreeSync Premium" yet the XG2705 shows as "Adaptive Sync Compatible". Maybe I'll go annoy ViewSonic  

0 Likes

This is only a text problem. All types of freesync tiers (including adaptive sync) are technically the same and the driver cannot tell if a display is "Freesync" oder "Freesync Premium" or "Adaptive Sync".

Because of this, the driver has an internal list of monitor modells with their freesync tiers. Your monitor is obviously missing.

They really cannot, huh? Totally range is not reported by display

Spoiler

DimkaTsv_0-1660829292001.png

Freesync - adaptive sync
Freesync Premium - adaptive sync with low framerate compensation (ranges are about 40-144 or 60-144 or so). Basically duplicates previous frame if there was no one in queue at moment of refresh

Freesync Premium Pro - basically same as Freesync Premium, but supports HDR content

0 Likes

The basic freesync is always the same and only enhanced by features, as you said. Of course Premium and Premium Pro has more features, but the displays don't identify themself as "Premium" or "Premium Pro".

As example: My LG C2 showed "VRR" until 22.8.1. Now it shows "Freesync Premium" but can do Freesync Premium with HDR. It should show "Premium Pro" but it doesn't.

"Freesync" flag in the driver it not an automatic feature detection but only a integrated list. if your display is not on that list, it is only "adaptive sync".

Oh, didn't know that, actually. 
My display showed as Freesync Premium from box, so i thought they report it. 

0 Likes