Decreased performance in games using latest drivers

Hello,

I have the current setup:
- Desktop PC with Windows 10 64bit
- GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 2GB HD
- CPU: AMD FX-6300
- MB: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

- RAM: 8GB @ 1333mhz

I always used the latest drivers from AMD and had no performance issues, but recently since 16.8 version of the driver I started having decreased performance issues. I was getting stuttering in new games, old games, literally every game I played had stuttering and decreased fps. I kept updating the driver until I got to 17.2 and the performance was terrible. For a moment I thought my GPU was so old I had to change it to a newer one. I reinstalled the windows, tried whatnot but had no difference.

I played Return to Castle Wolfenstein with 30fps!! 2001 game with 30fps. Killing floor in the main menu had 300 fps, and when played the game i had no more than 40 fps, at some areas got up to 60.
I was really pissed. I played those games before without issues. So I decided to downgrade the driver to 15.4.1 Beta and suddenly, fps in both game increased drastically. In RCTW I got up to 90fps, and in Killing Floor in the main menu went up to 1200 fps and ingame I got 140fps and suddenly all the stuttering was gone.

So why does that happen? AMD no longer care about older GPU users? Why do I have to use old drivers?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
mottoman216
Adept III

Re: Decreased performance in games using latest drivers

Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and select the option to reboot in safe mode. once you reboot in safe mode DDU will load back up. select the option to clean AMD Drivers then restart the PC. once its restarted download / install the latest AMD Drivers for your OS. i had similar issues at one time and it turned out to be wonky / corrupt drivers and this fixed the issue entirely.

0 Likes
youngwolf96
Journeyman III

I followed your steps and did what you said. Still get stuttering. By the way also note that I installed a clean windows, so it wasn't the driver corruption issue. It's something else I guess.

Also, I've been using 15.4.1 for some time, and while it's good in games, most 3D applications I'm using (3ds max, Unreal Engine 4 etc) are requiring me to install the latest drivers. I really don't know what to do.

0 Likes
warsun
Challenger

I already reported this use.Looks like they did not cover it for 17.2 but i Rolled back to

Radeon Software Version

16.3.2  An it seems fine.I think I will go further back to see if there is any change.Thanks by the way.

0 Likes