cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ruspartisan
Adept I

DaVinci Resolve/OpenCL(?) issues on Renoir APU

Hi everyone. I've been having problems with DaVinci Resolve on my RedmiBook 14 laptop with AMD Ryzen 4700u and 16GB of RAM. When I try to track objects, it results in a broken playback, as seen in a video DaVinci Resolve playback and tracking problem - YouTube 

Steps to reproduce:

1) Download and install DaVinci Resolve 16.2.7 (doesn't matter free or studio version) DaVinci Resolve 16 | Blackmagic Design 

2) Download Puget System DaVinci Resolve Benchmark 0.61 https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Puget-Systems-DaVinci-Resolve-Studio-Benchmark-1523 

3) Run Fusion benchmark

4) Check Fusion/Render folder. For me second half of PhoneComposite.mov file is just a green screen.

I've tried the same test on multiple driver versions (including WHQL 20.9.1, latest 20.10.1) with similar broken results. I've also tried the same test on different AMD and Intel machines with only integrated GPU, and other Renoir machines (HP x360 13 with 4500u and 8 GB RAM and unknown machine with 4800u, I was not the owner and just asked to run some tests) also fail this test, while all other (Core i7 8700, AMD A8-9600, Ryzen 2200G, Core i5 6300U) machines work.

Another problem with Renoir APU happens with Compubench 2.0 benchmark: two tests (Level Set Simulations 128 and 256) produce visual glitches (Compubench corrupted image on Ryzen 4700U - YouTube) and two tests don't even run (Local Tone Mapping 2k and 4k)

Steps to reproduce:

1) Download and install CompuBench 2.0 Windows Download 

2) Run first 4 tests (Level Set Simulations 128 and 256, Local Tone Mapping 2k and 4k)

3) Check first two tests for visual glitches while they run.

I haven't run this tests on as many machines as the first one, but Renoir APUs produce glitches, A8-9600 run first two tests fine but still crash on tone mapping, and i5 6300U run all 4 of the mentioned tests fine.

Since only Renoir APUs have all these things broken, I tend to think there's some bug in drivers, probably related to OpenCL, because DaVinci Resolve uses OpenCL for some things.

0 Likes
6 Replies

I see you have a foreign made Chinese laptop. Never heard of that company before.

Does either your Integrated Graphics or Discrete GPU in the laptop have a minimum of 4 GB of vRAM installed? That is the minimum requirement to run DaVinci Resolve on a laptop or Desktop PC.

This is the only Xiaomi Support Download I can find but it seems to have drivers for an Intel Integrated Graphics and not AMD but not sure because it doesn't really state. But it shows no AMD CHIPSET drivers, Only Intel: Xiaomi RedmiBook 14 Enhanced Drivers, Software & Manual Download for Windows 10 

This Reddit Thread mentions the same thing I found out that Xiaomi Support has no AMD Drivers for your laptop. At least not yet anyways. They mention to download from AMD Download page from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-7-mobile-processors-radeon-graphic... 

Make sure your laptop meets the minimum requirements to run DaVinci Resolve and see if updating the AMD Graphics help any or not.

Or Contact Xiaomi Support and see what AMD Drivers they have to download for your AMD laptop.

0 Likes

I see you have a foreign made Chinese laptop. Never heard of that company before.

The problem happens on two other laptops with Renoir (hp x360 13 and unknown laptop with 4800U)

Does either your Integrated Graphics or Discrete GPU in the laptop have a minimum of 4 GB of vRAM installed? That is the minimum requirement to run DaVinci Resolve on a laptop or Desktop PC.

It doesn't have 4GB of VRAM installed, it only has 512MB dedicated and 8GB shared, but that should not be a problem, because all other machines I mentioned with similar specs (A8-9600 and Ryzen 2200G also had 512MB of dedicated and 4-8 GBs shared, and Intel laptop with i5 6300u had even less than that, 256MB of dedicated, I believe), and they can complete the test fine.

and see if updating the AMD Graphics help any or not.

As I've already mentioned, I'd tried with lots of different drivers, including on clean Windows 10 install. I've tried default Windows drivers (from 19.05.2020 as far as I remember), 20.9.1 WHQL, 20.10.1 optional and 3-4 versions of older drivers from June-August.

Okay, But I see you haven't mentioned if you contacted Davinci Resolve Support to see what they believe could be the cause.

But since it works on the Intel processor and only occurs with the Renoir processors it does seem to indicate a driver issue.

Try opening a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and let them know your results and see what they recommend and to let them be aware there is an issue with Renoir processor's drivers and Davinci Resolve from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

That is all that I know on the subject. Take care.

0 Likes
MiraVel
Journeyman III

I have absolutely the same behavior with my 4700u (HP Probook 455 G7) under DaVinci Resolve and Compubench. Is there some progress with solving this problem?

0 Likes

Hi everybody,

I have an ASUS VivoBook with 16GB RAM, Ryzen 7 4700U and (only) the integrated AMD Radeon graphics adapter.

I had the same problem.
Yesterday I found a solution in the German forum that works for me:
http://www.davinci-resolve-forum.de/index.php?thread/1365-hilfe-clips-in-davinci-resolve-16-glitchen...
The author experienced that updating AMD driver stuff to version 21.2.3 did the trick.

Finding the right driver on the AMD website seems impossible to me. BUT:
They offer a tool that promises to analyze your AMD components and install the appropriate drivers:
https://www.amd.com/en/support?utm_campaign=support_main_redirect&utm_medium=redirect&utm_source=301
Direct download:
https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/installer/20.45/beta/radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.2.3-minimalse...

During installation I had the choice between two driver versions. I took the newer one which was not the "recommended version".
Now I have 21.2.3 and Resolve is working! Thanks a million to HarryH from the German forum!

I hope that works for other people here as well.

Cheers,
Klaus

0 Likes
XiaomiTrends
Journeyman III

Does either your Integrated Graphics or Discrete GPU in the laptop have a minimum of 4 GB of VRAM installed? That is the minimum requirement to run DaVinci Resolve on a laptop or Desktop PC.

This is the only Xiaomi Support Download I can find but it seems to have drivers for an Intel Integrated Graphics and not AMD but not sure because it doesn't really state. But it shows no AMD CHIPSET drivers, Only Intel: Download Qualcomm QDLoader USB Driver, MI Flash Tool, and  Download Xiaomi, Redmi, POCO USB Driver

0 Likes