cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

stevetremane1
Adept I

Current Drivers remind me of older Creative Sound Drivers. Unstable, hard to install + uninstall, unreliable and flakey. Just terribleTime to move to Nvidia. I am sick of messing with bad drivers.

Looks like AMD has trouble coding for good drivers. I have seen this before. I am out of this nightmare scenario.

6 Replies
stevetremane1
Adept I

Re: Current Drivers remind me of older Creative Sound Drivers. Unstable, hard to install + uninstall, unreliable and flakey. Just terribleTime to move to Nvidia. I am sick of messing with bad drivers.

Cannot completely uninstall old drivers and install these new ReLive drivers 17.7.2 without errors or tabs missing.

0 Likes
daggerfall
Elite

Re: Current Drivers remind me of older Creative Sound Drivers. Unstable, hard to install + uninstall, unreliable and flakey. Just terribleTime to move to Nvidia. I am sick of messing with bad drivers.

I must said I remember that period, but, owners of that hardware have alternative - kx project driver. I'm waiting for stable driver over a year, I can't use my PC's with AMD card's, each driver have some serious bug for me.
For uninstalling - you must use Uninstaller then DDU, I have good experience with it when deleting 17.4.4 driver (which don't have hardware acceleration for my card). You can use it in standard boot mode after uninstall driver to take care for abandoned parts of driver.

0 Likes
stevetremane1
Adept I

Indeed. There were other options. Interestingly, Creative has revamped their drivers and they are now superb (I am using the SoundBlaster ZxR Card, and what a difference from the the old creative drivers!). I never would have thought to buy their products again, except I had read from multiple sources that they had revamped their drivers from the ground up. So, I took a bit of a risk. I had 30 days to decide, but I knew I would be able to tell right away whether the drivers were actually much improved, since I had used their crappy drivers for quite awhile.

I just used both the current DDU Uninstaller and the current AMD Unstaller v1.5.7.0 from 12/29/2016. I was then able to install the ReLive July 27 version of 17.7.2. An install ReLive Option appeared at the end of the install (did not do this previously). Additionally, under the Display Tab; Identity, Color, and Spec. options finally showed up on the Display bar on the right. Finally was able to use the sliders to adjust Color. Something I could not even see in the previous versions of this Driver, if they were even there.

MIssing the color adjustments was really annoying. Regarding this, the Gamma adjustment is GONE, but I assume the new Color Temp slider is the replacement, right?

Under the GAMING Tab, when you select Global WattMan, I see some GPU specs. on the right, but I do not see where to overclock the video card? Cannot find this. Is this now a separate install? If so, what is it now called? Where are the options to overclock my card?

Finally, I don't know, I am really not too crazy about this ReLive Driver / Software, and do not like the interface. The older AMD CCC software was much more intuitive and more classically laid out. I have also used NVidia Driver / Software in the past, and it is all around better in my opinion.  I am running a Radeon R290X card right now, and it is time to move on. While AMD appears to have done well fighting Intel with their Ryzen CPUs, their Video offerings are a bit lame at this point. I also do not like the constant driver releases to fix things all the time, since Crimson and ReLive replaced the old CCC. Constantly doing Driver Uninstalls and Installs is a pain, and dangerous to one's PC. Especially when you are undertaking this with buggy drivers.

In fact, using the 2 unstallers above knocked out my Eset NOD32 Antivirus software in addition to removing the old ReLive Driver and Software.

I then had to uninstall and reinstall NOD32, and that was no fun either.

0 Likes
doothe
Elite

I ended up selling my 390 recently because I had enough of Wattman's terrible compatibility.

0 Likes
Earnhardt
Paragon

Yep,I mean just look at all the issues AMD has:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/33/geforce-drivers/

oops...That's the Nvidia forums!

stevetremane1
Adept I

Hello Earnhardt:

I have been working with computers for decades. Of course NVidia has issues too! Every hardware and software developer has issues! It goes with the territory of development. MY point here is not to get into a NVidia / AMD debate, because we need Both companies to do well. It is the only way to ensure better quality hardware and software for all.

I am simply stating that at this point in time, I am having problems with AMD drivers as mentioned above. Last time I used NVidia drivers, I did not have any installation and/or uninstallation issues. Furthermore, it is not simply a matter of having problems (because they all do), but a matter of the degree and severity of the problems, and how efficiently a company moves to resolve the problems. This is also not a static situation, but a dynamic one, and changes over time. Companies tend to move in good and bad cycles when it comes to the various parameters used to differentiate between the good and bad. The Final determinative outcome only comes with time, because that is what creates history.

My statements about AMD could very well be directed to Nvidia in the future. All I was saying was that right then, at that point in time, on my computer system, I was having difficulty with the AMD drivers and needed to switch to NVidia. Again, Creative turned it around for the better as I mentioned above, and their drivers (as anybody will tell you who lived through that era) were way worse than AMDs. If AMD is to be successfull long term, they will turn it around too. I am pulling for them. In fact, throughout my history with computers,  I have used AMD video cards much  more often than NVidia cards.

As far as my criticism of the new ReLive interface, that is my opinion.  I do like NVidias more classical looking interface better right now. I wish AMD would have kept the old CCC interface when they decided to revamp their drivers.

Your simplified statement above makes no sense to me.

S

0 Likes