cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

denisovdenisa
Journeyman III

CrossFire

Hello, tell me why the latest version of the working  AMD CrossFire ™ technology (no bridges)

version stopped working 18-10-1

Версия ПО Radeon Software - 18.12.1.1

Выпуск ПО Radeon Software - Adrenalin

Графический набор микросхем - Radeon RX 570 Series

Объем памяти - 4096 MB

Тип памяти - GDDR5

Частота ядра - 1244 MHz

Версия Windows - Windows 10 (64 bit)

Системная память - 16 GB

Тип ЦП - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz

Radeon RX 570 Series

Radeon RX 570 Series

Технология AMD CrossFire™ (без мостов)

Объем памяти - 4096 MB

Тип памяти - GDDR5

Частота ядра - 1244 MHz

hd graphics 630 64 MB

msi-Z270 GAMING PRO

Версия Windows - Windows 10 (64 bit)

Системная память - 16 GB 3200 MHz

Samsung 970 Evo series 250GB M.2 ---RAID 0

Samsung 970 Evo series 250GB M.2 ---RAID 0

Тип CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz

Razer Tiamat 7.1 + внешняя USB аудиокарта ASUS Xonar U7

0 Likes
8 Replies

I think the advice is not to use DX11 Crossfire any more as it is de-emphasized.

One AMD GPU is bad enough.

Vega 64 crossfire here. I can only comment on the last 3 drivers, the latest 18.12.2 and 18.12.1 and 18.11.2

Ryzen 2700x
Sapphire RX Vega 64 crossfire (Stock clock speed, undervolted)

Games I've played last month:

- Alien Isolation,                 4k with VSR (3840 x 2160) max settings, 170fps

- Sniper Elite 4,                   1440p, max settings, 140fps

- Rise of the Tomb Raider, 1440p, max settings, 140fps

- Metro: Last Light,             1440p, max settings, 190fps

I also tested last month these other DX11 crossfire games, they are working without issues:
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Wildlands, Tom Clancy The Division, Ryse Son of Rome, Max Payne 3, Hitman 2016

^ scaling ranges from 25% to 80%

The only problem I have is with these crossfire profiles:

- Deus Ex MD profile,  freesync broken, must use Vsync with input lag.

- Far Cry 5 profile,       shadow flickering, stutter, freesync issues and -2% negative scaling at 1440p. But +10% increases at 4k and more.

colesdav wrote:

I think the advice is not to use DX11 Crossfire any more as it is de-emphasized.

One AMD GPU is bad enough.

We are in a transitioning period, from DX11 to (DX12, Vulkan), where the multi GPU support must be implemented from the developers themselves, rather than AMD or Nvidia like before.

I remember the exact problem when we transitioned from DX10 to DX11 in 2010 if I remember correctly.

0 Likes

Congratulations that your exactly matched RX Vega 64's work on a handful of games. My R9 Fury X's and Nanos and GPU down to R9 280x/HD7970 work really well on some games also, under very careful conditions. However even then swapping between full screen and desktop and back into full screen results in awful flicker in BF4, BF1, Sniper Elite 4,  and Rise of the Tomb Raider for me. That's both DX11 and DX12 FYI. Hope spending 2x just to run a few games is worth it. I use DX11 Crossfire and DX12 MultiGPU because it's there and in some cases it is worth running if I get a second AMD GPU cheaply or I need it for other things like compute. Sometimes the results of Running R9 FuryX/Nano down to HD7970/R9 280x in Crossfire are very impressive.

My point is the Adrenalin Drivers have been pretty awful for me running R9 Fury X/ Nano in Crossfire and in single GPU in terms of stability and features not working or dropped since before RX Vega Launch - 17.7.2 driver if I am not mistaken. That's when Windows 8.1 64 bit driver support was dropped. Also GCN1.0 Cards like R9 280x and HD7970 are not supported anymore in new versions of Blender or ROCm.

Take one thing - HBM overclocking with Sapphire Trixx on my R9 Fury X and Nanos were disabled due to Adrenalin driver changes. That HBM Overclocking showed performance boost in 3DMark Firestrike, FireStrike Extreme, FireStike Ultra, Timespy, TimeSpy Extreme. Using those techniques are accepted for 3D Mark Scores. I get told on AMD Discord that it showed no performance improvement in games. Not true - overclocking HBM on R9 Fury X gives me + 6.6% FPS performance improvement in Batman Arkham Origins benchmark for example, and also shows performance improvement in other games. A  6.6% FPS improvement - that's almost worth a 12 nm re-tapeout of an RX 580 these days right? Now RX Vega launch is over, why can't that HBM overclocking on R9 FuryX / Nano be re-enabled? It's not like you can buy new R9 FuryX or Nano anymore anyhow.

Apart from that, black screening and system freezing audio buzz is a pretty constant feature with AMD Drivers in past 1.5 years.
In addition things like Radeon Performance Overlay - broken. Radeon Chill - broken.  Radeon Overlay - broken and quite frankly bizarre behaviour at times

I now have a single XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid. That has been black screening and system freezing since purchase.
I was told that Radeon Chill was broken on my R9 Fury X Nanos but worked on RX Vega 64 - no - it behaves exactly the same in drivers up to 18.12.1
That RX Vega 64 GPU is pulling ~ 380Watts when running BF1, and I cannot use Radeon Chill in a sensible way to drop Power Consumption without killing keyboard only input FPS and causing Screen tear with FreeSync if I move the mouse quickly. I have tested all supposedly supported games by the way... it's not just BF1. There are supposed to be improvements in Chill in Adrenalin 18.12.2 - I have yet to test it to see if anything is fixed. I hope it is.

Ignoring AMD Customer and Fan feedback for ~ 1.5 years. Closing support emails with no resolution, and report forms with no feedback is not a good idea because everyone has their limits.
Maybe Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2 will fix some of the things I have been having problems with. I hope so.

Bye.

That is really unfortunate to hear. I guess I was lucky with buying a Vega, even alt tabbing in crossfire doesn't cause issues.

Anyone who says overclocking HBM doesn't increase performance is a fool that clearly didn't spend time testing it. Plus, Radeon Overlay and performance overlay are broken since it's inception to be honest. I don't bother using it, it lowers clock speeds from 1580 mhz to 1150 mhz, quite stupid, even with the last driver, before the 2019 one.

colesdav wrote:

Ignoring AMD Customer and Fan feedback for ~ 1.5 years. Closing support emails with no resolution, and report forms with no feedback is not a good idea because everyone has their limits.

Maybe Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2 will fix some of the things I have been having problems with. I hope so.

I'm not blind, I know that quite a lot of people are irritated with overall bad driver support.

I always like helping the underdog in my life in general. I'm a fan of AMD, my GPU upgrades were ( 7990, then 390x crossfire, then Vega 64 crossfire) but it's quite difficult to recommend it to someone else. I even told a couple of friends on mine not to purchase GPUs from AMD but rather CPUs. I also was very close to jumping ship, but I dislike Nvidia's practices, they backstabbed me 3 times. I will definitely keep an eye on Intel's GPU offerings in the future.

Just look like this new 2019 adrenaline driver that they've just released. It's a mess! why didn't they ask the community to test it before releasing it.

colesdav wrote:

Congratulations that your exactly matched RX Vega 64's work on a handful of games. Hope spending 2x just to run a few games is worth it.

I didn't spend 2x on my Vega 64. It knew crossfire support was bad at the time so I bought one and waited a year and a half. I recently bought my 2nd one for about 340 $.

That is my opinion but I'm pretty sure AMD, with their choice of words in recent interviews, that they are not going to compete in the high end market for about a generation or two. They will definitely loose me as a customer then. Like you said, everyone has their limits.

Hi - thanks for your responses. I wasn't having a go at you, It has just really been a frustrating time with AMD Drivers and installers for 1.5 years now and I have just purchased a new RTX2080 so yes I have started to jump ship. However I own many AMD GPU's from HD7970 - RX Vega 64 Liquid now and I want to keep them running well as I do use them every day. Even getting an RX Vega 64 Liquid so I could buy one at a reasonable price was difficult. None of the AIB RX Vega 64 were of real interest to me because of physical card size and weight due to cooling requirement. My experience with AMD Adrenalin Drivers in past year has actually made me worried about Ryzen / Threadripper purchase. Yes I hear about good performance and low power consumption but if Driver/Software support is bad, then what.

"My experience with AMD Adrenalin Drivers in past year has actually made me worried about Ryzen / Threadripper purchase."

I agree with this too. With the complaints I read from many different users about Ryzen users with AMD GPU's. Makes it seem the stability is at it's worst when using their own products together. I had to dial my RX580 in with Wattman settings but once I did, I was rocks solid. I give those same settings to many others over the past years with RX580s on Ryzen systems, they can't ever get stable. Certainly has had me scratch my head. Not to sound selfish, at this point I'm just glad my system works.

Likely nobody here will be able to answer the direct question. As colesdav mentioned it seems the hardware makers and end users have moved away from crossfire.

The only ones that could give you direct answers are AMD and these forums are USER TO USER only .  File a support request with actual AMD SUPPORT here: Online Service Request | AMD

theacclaimed
Miniboss

I have also been testing Crossfire or just having 2 RX Vega 64 cards installed and have found that the last stable release is 18.10.2. Anything after that including the latest 18.12.2 results in many instances of THREAD_STUCK_IN_DRIVER bsod errors or hard freezes where a restart is required. What is strange is the latest drivers are unstable even after removing one of the GPUs. I'm not sure if it's related to windows 10 1803 version but I haven't had this many blue screen issues in a long time. I suggest reverting to 18.10.2 and raising a support case with AMD. I'm dissapointed with 18.12.2. I was expecting a lot of bug fixes.