cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gregory_house
Journeyman III

Crossfire HD7870's, Triple monitors (not in eyefinity) Games crash in full screen

Sorry, I didn't know how to shorten the subject any further than that. So I've been running 2 7870's in Crossfire on my system for about 3 years now, and for the most part I haven't had any trouble. I run 3 27" 1080p monitors, not in Eyefinity usually. I upgraded to Win10 64 pro day one, and had no problems until I installed the first Crimson build. While many things function a bit better in Crimson, I cannot run the majority of my games in full screen mode. When I do, the games flash a black screen, then crash. Games this happen on are just about all 2K games, Diablo III, and many other smaller release titles. For some, I was able to get into the games by going into the .ini files, and setting it to open up in windowed mode. Some, however, don't provide this option, and thus I am stuck trying to alt+enter the game before it starts fully loading. Sometimes it works, often it doesn't. It all depends on the options of the game.
The point is, this started happening when I upgraded to Crimson. I've installed the latest, and even the hotfix from yesterday (I check back daily to see if there are any updates available) but nothing seems to fix it. I even did a clean install of windows just in case something inside windows itself was borked, but I still have the problem. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Crossfire HD7870's, Triple monitors (not in eyefinity) Games crash in full screen

We'd like to learn more about this issue, please submit a report here.

I would recommend rolling back to a pre Crimson driver such as Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta. I believe this will resolve the crashing issue you are seeing with games starting in Fullscreen mode.

0 Kudos
nospheratu
Challenger

Re: Crossfire HD7870's, Triple monitors (not in eyefinity) Games crash in full screen

Do the games crash to the desktop or does your PC reboot?

0 Kudos
kace36
Adept I

I have had this same issue and I have also had to rollback to the 15.11.1 Catalyst Beta drivers. But how on earth do you get it to stop auto updating the drivers? I am running Windows 10 and no matter what I do, I have stopped the auto update in the AMD settings, and I even found the task scheduler item that the AMD drivers ultimately use and disabled the task altogether, the drivers always always auto update about every 10-15 days. And I have to go back through the whole display driver uninstaller process, reboot, install Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta drivers. It's maddening! Every time I see that windows has auto updated I'm furious now! It seems that Windows 10 updates are somehow responsible for this now and are auto updating the AMD drivers. And certain games simply don't work (for example Diablo 3) with any form of Crossfire enabled unless you have something that is Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta (or earlier) drivers. I'm using dual Gigabyte Windforce HD7970's and not one of the Crimson driver editions works correctly with Crossfire for many games 😕

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

See my post here for instructions on how to prevent this from happening.

Re: Windows 10 keeps downgrading AMD drivers

0 Kudos