Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

saturnine
Adept I

Crash/Hang With RadeonSoftware.exe Error

Hi everyone, 

I've had issues with my computer suddenly hanging, usually during a game, but it did once happen browsing Chrome.
This particular issue never manifests as a BSOD, although I have procured a few for different reasons that I'm aware of. 

The hang itself starts by my screen going completely black, and is usually paired with a loud buzzing noise from the audio system. In most cases, the PC will simply restart from here within a couple of seconds, but it has hung up on the buzzing once or twice indefinitely until I forced the computer off. 

Every time I look in the event log, there's a RadeonSoftware crash message which occurs about 10-15 seconds before this crash, which I will paste at the bottom of this message.

There is also a critical level Kernel-Power warning about the system now shutting down cleanly, but that's relatively arbitrary, to be expected, and not particularly useful.

It's interesting to note that I only started getting this error around two months back. I did a clean DDU uninstall of the graphics driver, and reverted to Adrenaline 20.1.2, but still go these system crashes. I have since tried about four other versions of the Adrenaline 2020 between 20.1.2 and 20.4.2 with no changes in crash behavior.

I have overclocked my memory in the past, but it hasn't been overclocked for a while now, and the issue persists even at stock--not XMP--memory settings. Dozens of passes on MemTest86 seems to suggest the memory is fine. Similarly, this issue has not occurred a single time while working from home with a remote desktop connection for the past three months, and I don't think it's my power supply either. All of these components, including the rest of my computer, was bought new roughly seven months ago.

The primary components of this computer are a 3700x processor, and PowerColor 5700XT Red Devil graphics card on an x570 Aorus Elite motherboard. 
The power supply is a Rosewill Capstone 850M. 

My GPU is running with automatic settings, and my processor is not overclocked manually, although PBO is enabled.

If anyone else is experiencing similar issues, or has advice, discussion would be appreciated.

Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1788, time stamp: 0x5e84e714
Faulting module name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1788, time stamp: 0x5e84e714
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000412917
Faulting process id: 0x2a78
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6437e1df306a9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Report Id: 8ff49dde-9990-4868-a5a6-9cb36b243c37
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

7 Replies
pixelhuh
Adept II

Welcome to the Black Screen Lovers Club, I've been suffering from this problem for months and there is no solution to it, many users report that they were helped by a 20.5.1 driver and the fresh windows 10 2004 version. Personally, it didn't help me, and neither did many other tips and techniques. I had to return the video card to the store under warranty, I suggest you do the same.

This is not a new problem and it has been pursuing 5000 series since the release itself, I have written several times in support of the Amds with this issue, they advise to wait for new drivers, it's ridiculous, given how much time has passed since the release. People pay money to become beta testers, it's ridiculous.

0 Likes

Hi pixlhuh, 

Thank you for responding, and so quickly too! I appreciate your time. 

Is this a classic case of the black screen bug? In my case, the computer physically restarts, as if it had lost power during a thunderstorm. Are other users experiencing this as well?

I will happily RMA this multi-hundred dollar BETA test graphics card, if it is the case, but I would like to make sure. I did a DDU uninstall last night, and installed the drivers for Adrenaline 19.12.1 without Radeon Software. I'm hoping this solves my problems, but there were a few features in the software I would have liked to use. It's all a bit sad, isn't it?

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes

Yes, it's very sad, I had the exact same thing in games - at some point I had a black screen with a stuttering, and then the computer would reboot. But this is not the only case, I also had green and blue (bsod) screens and just flights out of different games.

Try it, some users report that old versions of drivers without GUI Adrenaline help them, as well as many people find it helpful to disable hardware acceleration in their browsers and other applications that use it. In my case, it didn't work out.

I concluded that there is no single scenario to reproduce this problem, just as the problems of different users differ, there is no single solution that can help everyone. Many people encounter black screens when watching videos on youtube, but I have never had a problem with this, in other cases, users have had green/black/blue screens in games, someone has a driver falling under stress loads (I have stress tests were normal, driver falls were only in games). What these problems have in common is that the event log shows the crash of Radeon Software, in case the driver is installed using windows tools without gui, instead of radeon software there are crashes of amdkap. you can Be sure that the problem is not in your configuration, not in PSU or RAM, it is in the graphics card.

0 Likes

By the way pixelhuh, 

What did you end up doing after RMA-ing your card? Did you get another 5700XT from the same company/different brand? Did you swap to Nvidia cards?

If you did get another 5700XT, I'm curious if your problems were just resolved, suggesting some sort of defect in the physical card itself.

Cheers!

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

You should try to install 20.5.1. It's the most stable version for me.

0 Likes

I'm currently trying 19.12.1 without the Radeon Software itself. If I experience more issues, I guess there's no harm in trying another version of the software for the sixth time. Thanks for letting me know it's more stable for you.

0 Likes